1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone use an aircard?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JimboK, Apr 20, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't believe I'm actually starting a new thread in Fred's ....

I've been using dialup for years. I'm a bit of a tightwad, and I couldn't bring myself to spend the money for broadband. Besides, availability is an issue. I spend a lot of time at my fiancee's house. She doesn't have cable, and she lives in a rural area beyond the reach of DSL.

Well, I finally tired of painstakingly slow page loads, so today I picked up a Sprint aircard (mobile broadband). The card itself ends up costing nothing after a rebate. The service is $60/month, unlimited minutes, two-year agreement. I plan to buy an add-on card for my desktop PC so I can use the aircard for it as well as the laptop. Amazon has one for a little less than $40, I believe.

Anyone else using an aircard, either Sprint or other carrier? How do you like it? Any tips to offer?

Thanks in advance!

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had aircard service with Verizon. same cost, probably close to same service. my service was terminated due to excessive usage so you might want to read the fine print on the "unlimited minutes" clause.

usually on aircard service, they "bill" you on kb usage. verizon considers excessive usage to be over 5 GB per month for two consecutive months. i averaged over 4 GB so getting two months over was bound to happen anyway. i dont use the wireless nearly as much during the wetter months, but it was pretty handy in the summer when eating and spending time outside is a desirable thing to do.

this summer i will look into either restarting verizon... in someone else' name or going with sprint. another option verizon has is called broadband access connect which allows you to teather your cellphone to the laptop. just need to activate the service at same price and get a mobile office kit. advantages... no contract. disadvantage, cellphone tied up. but usually have a few of them around so no biggie.

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a built in aircard in my work laptop. It's no high speed, but it's nice not having to pay for it at hotels and airports now. It's good for what it is...

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 21 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]427319[/snapback]</div>
    Our Verizon aircard payment comes via buying a ton of time. It's ok, but not as fast as hoped.

5. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 21 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]427319[/snapback]</div>
    When don't you have wetter months?? :)

Thanks for the info, Dave. I'll verify that I have unlimited usage; that's a good tip. Two different sales people and their literature all said the same, but if the fine print says differently, they might be getting it back. I have a 30-day period during which I can cancel if I'm not satisfied.

Meanwhile, I'm loving these fast downloads!

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

$60 a month for the aircard? I pay $45 a month for my Verizon FIOS. Fiber optic right up to my house. Right now I get 15 mbps down and 5 mbps up. I've tested it and it often runs almost at the advertised rates, averaging 14 mbps down and about 3.5 mbps up. By the end of this year the service will be ramped up to 100 mbps down and 25 mbps up, with no increase in price.

I thought about getting an aircard for my laptop, but Verizon just added a neat feature. I have Treo 650 phone with unlimited data. I'm going to upgrade to the Treo 700p soon, which allows you to tether it to a laptop, and use it as a wireless modem. While the speeds may not be blazingly fast, it's fast enough. Also, it's only $45 a month.

7. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 22 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]427839[/snapback]</div>
    $45 dollars a month for the unlimited data? Sprint allows you to do the same thing for $15 on their data devices. Your right its not blazingly fast, but it is acceptable and a less expensive option..

8. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 22 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]427839[/snapback]</div>
    I wish that was an option. Verizon doesn't even offer DSL at my fiancee's house. Besides, with the portability of the aircard, the extra $15 would probably be worth it. Lower up- and download speeds than what you've got, but more than adequate for my needs. It's pretty cool to be able to sit in her backyard like I am at this moment (watching a beautiful sunset across the field in front of her house in mid-70s temperatures) without being tethered to a phone or cable line.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually its the same price no matter how you do it. on a treo to get broadband access connect (tethered internet access thru USB) you need the unlimited data plan at 44.99 a month plus BBA connect at $15 so its the same either way.

and sure home service is cheaper and faster, but try using it at the park, or try browsing Priuschat while cruising down the road at 65 mph... all that can be done with the verizon wireless service (preferably when someone is driving)

10. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An update: Love the speeds! I'm in the midst of downloading 45 MB worth of Norton updates as we speak. The dialup connection would have handled it in ... Hours?? It's about 10 minutes into it and will probably be complete when I hit the "Add Reply" button for this post.

I checked the unlimited usage aspect, and it appears to be truly unlimited. In fact, I found a Sprint web forum discussion where users were lamenting that their previous "unlimited" Verizon and Cingular plans did in fact have a limit, and would simply cut them off if they exceeded it.

And I bought the adapter from Amazon for my PC. Ordered it yesterday for $32, with Super Saver free shipping (or whatever they call it.) I was pleasantly surprised to see it on my doorstep this afternoon. Plugged it in, loaded the aircard software, and inserted the aircard, all with no problems. I now have broadband on both computers. Woohoo!

Yep, I was right. The download just finished.

11. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

Lots of info available here. I use my EVDO card with a Kyocera KR1 router (EVDO<->WiFi) as my primary internet access as I can't get cable or DSL. Not as fast, but I can take it with me and it beats the heck out of dial-up!

12. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a Verizon card in my laptop for work. The speed varies widely depending on where I am. I love having it so I can work from almost everywhere. The only downside if if I happen to be in a basement meeting room where I can't get a signal. I don't think I would be happy with it as my primary source of internet access, but I do consider it better than dialup (or what I remember dialup to be like the last time I used it years ago)