1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone use just 3qt oil per change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Oct 13, 2008.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I was changing my oil at the ~ 15K mark and I was getting to thinking, Why am I putting in 3qts and 3/10 of a quart. Well it dawned on me that this is what you do per the instructions.

So I also noticed that most people here at prius chat recommend not overfilling which means that you add 3.3qt then adjust as needed.

So, this is what I normally do, however I note that there is alot of room on the dipstick.

So could you just add back (after you change the filter) a total of 3 quarts and be safe (Note that this 3 quarts includes any oil that you prime the filter with)?

This would rid the little left over and make changing oil a little easier.

Anyone doing this?

Steve

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I find that 3.5 qts hits the right spot on the dipstick every time. I save the half qt for the next oil change.

JeffD

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3.5 quarts is the right amount to use!

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can get away with 3 just quarts. 3 quarts will put you exactly halfway between the "safety" marks on the dipstick. I usually stretch 2 (5 quart jugs) from wal-mart into 3 oil changes.

5. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been doing this since the beginning with no ill effects that I have noticed. Granted, I have only done about 4 oil changes so far, but it seems to work well for me.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    55 months, 33,000 miles, exactly 3 quarts every six months. If the engine explodes someday I will certainly post about it :_>

7. Priusaurus110

Priusaurus110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is exactly what I do at each oil & filter change. 3 qts puts me halfway between the high and low marks which is safe and creates no problems.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3.5 quarts + Mobil 1 ("double") oil filter filled with oil at every oil change (now at 35,000).

9. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    After my third or fourth oil change I realized that it was too much trouble to worry about the extra 0.3-0.5 quart. So from then on 3 qts; oil level ends up right where its supposed to be, not too much, not too little, exactly in the middle.

Thanks,
    Shawn

10. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    yup, same here. 3 quarts gets me right in the middle of the high and low marks on the dipstick.

11. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats what I've started doing. No more trying to stop at exactly .5 of a quart. No more guess-n-check with the dipstick + pouring more.

Saves oil. Less waste.

12. eagsc7

eagsc7 Geocacher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Its a GOOD thing that I read this board. Yesterday, I changed the oil, and knowing that it was a 1.5L engine(Much smaller than the V6 that our Grand Prix had), I only grabbed 2 qts of oil. Changed the oil, installed the EBH, and didn't even think about checking the dipstick. Come on I only put in 1.5 qts, and it should be good...

Read the board, and started thinking... Hmm, I guess it dosen't hurt to check the dipstick. After a good long look in the mirror, I realized that 1.5 Qts does NOT equil 1.5L. Of course, I threw in the other 1.5 Qts of oil and then pulled the dipstick out and YEAH... Its Perfectly centered between the dots...

Thanks for the Wake-up Call.

13. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1.5 L = engine displacement inside the cylinder. (oil does not go inside the cylinder).

Good catch :p

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the Prius engine normally does not use any appreciable amount of engine oil, this practice of using 3 quarts is OK. However as the car ages, if your engine develops a gasket leak or is burning oil, then you have less safety margin to work with.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, one should check the oil at least monthly in any case, to catch any increase in oil consumption.