1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone use Safety 1st cling shades in the back? Need some fit suggestions.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DrPepperholik, Feb 3, 2015.

1. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My son is rear facing and as he's gotten taller the sun is in his eyes a lot, especially with this winter sun position. I ordered this and it seems to help but it doesn't fit the window right. The narrow part of the window is where a lot of sun comes in and hits him right at eye level, if I move the thing down more that way then I end up with a bunch of excess hanging over the sides looking tacky and giving him something to play with and pull off which will then start the crying. Has anyone cut these things and been successful? Also, the package says not to use it on the rear defrost lines but the stupid sun comes in the back window as well and since he's rear facing he gets the sun in his eyes.

Edit to add: The bubbles in the thing drive me crazy. I put it on at 11:30 at night so I didn't really care much about bubbles as I needed to get to bed but I will make it smooth when I do the final stick with it.

Attached Files:

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I will suggest you to install it i to the right place and trim wherever is left hanging around leaving as lesser gaps as possible.
    Carefully use a razor blade fallowing the internal contour of the window glass.

3. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's what I'm thinking, I'm just hoping someone has done it and can say that this stuff trims easily. I am also wanting to avoid trimming it while it's on the window since my windows are tinted and I don't want to mess that up.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my Honda Fit where the rear window was much more vertical, I could use those shades that are simply attached using suction cups.

I don't want window tint, year round, but in the hottest months of summer I liked being able to put the tint in the window, I think it helped keep the vehicle much cooler. I also liked that I could remove it the rest of the year.

I tried doing this same thing with The Prius, but the rear window is so horizontal that the shades just wouldn't stay on.

Anyway, I'm curious as to how this works for you, or if anyone has any alternative ideas that are temporary.

Just a warning from "Honda Fit" experience...if you put that temporary film on the side windows? Just make sure nobody can lower them. It can be a bad thing.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Fallow the contour with a "BIC" pen and the trim it outside

DrPepperholik likes this.
  6. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought about those too but then decided against them as in the event of an accident they become projectiles in the car and since most times people use those because they have children in the car those types of shades are beside children. I read an article a while back about a child suffering some pretty bad facial lacerations because of a sippy cup that was in the cup holder on their car seat when an accident happened.

These cling shades are cheap enough, I might just try cutting it to fit later and since the sun peeks in the back glass at the top I might just place a strip at the top above the defrost line.

7. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, now that's a good idea! I probably would have tried holding a piece of paper up to the window and tracing it to get a pattern. :-/