1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone used the "Oil Udder" on their Gen 2 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Samuraidog, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone here used the "Oil Udder" on their Gen 2 Prius? I did an internet search including the word Prius, but didn't come up with any hits that include a review of this product when used on a Prius.

I'm not advertising for them or affiliated in any way. I'd just like to get some honest feedback before I purchase.

Based on the orientation of our oil filters, it seems that this product would work pretty well, but I don't want to buy it if someone has already unsuccessfully tried it.

For those that are interested in what the product actually is, here is a link to their product. (If this isn't allowed, I'll ask a mod to delete the link.)
    Oil Udder X | Filters up to 2.75" | Order Now | Oil Udder

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, it's a funnel. And harder to clean?

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice concept... Gets me thinking about to how DIY one. I've also seen similar designs that's kind of a plate that captures the oil rather than a cap.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems like one more messy thing to clean/store.

I put on a vinyl/rubber/nitrile glove, loosen the filter a bit, let the oil run down into the same catch pan I used to catch the oil when I opened my Fumoto oil drain valve. After a minute or so, I unscrew the filter a bit more until it drops into said oil catch pan. I get a small amount of oil on my glove, but it already had a small amount of oil from opening the drain valve.

Since I use a oil drain valve, I do not worry about "catching" the drain plug. Not that I ever worried about it before I switched to oil drain valves.

Some folks might like this device but here is how I see it:

Either way you got some oil dripping -- either into this new gadget -- or down the oil filter and into the oil catch pan.

If it goes into the oil catch pan, it then goes to recycling and I wipe out pan, toss glove and it is good to go.

With new gadget, oil goes into new gadget, which needs to be dealt with, but then I still have my oil catch pan to clean.

To me, this thing includes an extra step and extra hassle. I could be wrong -- and on this forum -- I have often been proved wrong.

To avoid the hassle with the filter altogether, drive a Subaru -- seems as if all their filters are at the top of the engine. Sort of like the Datsun 210 I drove in the 1970s.:D:D:D

[​IMG]

#4 Stevewoods, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've been using a red solo cup to do that for years.

Just don't confuse it with the working beverage and you're good.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just don't see a need to "catch" the oil from the filter with a red solo cup or anything else. Let it drain into the same container you use to catch what comes from the drain plug. Quick, easy, not messy -- well, at least for me. But then I have 50 years of experience -- of course, only 14 years of that on a Prius.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The cup is more important for catching the drippings than the filter.

A single cup lasts years, rests with the other oil change tools.

My hands stay cleaner; less to wash off.

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, guess I have to agree to disagree. The gloves keep my hands clean, the oil goes in the big container, so on and so forth. Very little cleanup. I do say the drain valve is the real key for me. I would never have a car without one.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right, the cup is what keeps me from needing gloves. It is my glove.

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that's super simple and smart... I'll give that a try next time!

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Varnishing a coffee table one time, and my wife put a cup of coffee beside me. I kept saying to myself, think, don’t do it, but yup: eventually I dipped the brush in the coffee.

12. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like you, I use a Fumoto drain valve. I put a hose on the nipple and let it drain directly into a 5 quart jug, so no mess whatsoever. My problem then comes in with the filter. Since I'm not using a catch pan for the drain, I have to think of a different solution for the filter. I have a DIY apparatus that I put over the filter to catch the oil spillover when loosening, but it still doesn't work exactly like I'd prefer. That is why I was hoping someone would tell me that they've used this oil udder gadget on the Prius and that it works well.

13. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your red solo cup idea is brilliant. I may try that. My only nitpick might be that you have to hold the cup up for a few minutes while it drips down. The device I linked has a magnet on it, so I thought that might be handy, as it will allow you to walk away for an extended period of time while it drains. Maybe I could glue a magnet on the bottom of a red solo cup. Hmmm. Now you've really got me thinking. Thanks.

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reminds me of this episode

JahT and Mendel Leisk like this.