1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using an OBD Bluetooth dongle?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hybridprius, Nov 3, 2009.

1. hybridprius

hybridprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is anyone using an OBD bluetooth dongle with their 2010 prius? I recently purchased one and have had limited success with using the freeware software available. Has anyone gotten the freeware OBD Gauge working?

Thanks.

2. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What dongle did you get? Web address please.

1 person likes this.
  3. hybridprius

hybridprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got one from ebay. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

4. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased the OBDKEY unit, have both a Bluetooth and a USB one now. Can connect from my HTC TyTn II via BT and laptop via BT and USB.

Downloaded the Dyno-Scan evaluation version and could not connect so purchased it with its USB connect cables etc as I wanted the Extended Toyota functionality.

Just wondering now if my BT unit will work with a Garmin Nuvi unit with the Ecoroute enhancement. If so will donate my TomTom to one of the kids.

David

5. hybridprius

hybridprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi David,

I believe the ODBKEY unit comes with a modified version of the OBD Gauge software. I decided to try the OBD Bluetooth dongle in the picture over ODBKEY because it was alot less expensive. I still have not been able to get ODB Gauge working with it. I tried installing it on my HTC Kaiser and a old pocket pc with win mobile 2003. Both return errors like "MissingMethodException." Did you encounter anything like that?

Thanks.

6. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no software issues like that at all.

The OBDKEY came as wifi, usb or BT.

I didn't realise at the time that I could not get a cable for mini USB to mini usb so I purchased the usb version. I found that I could not make the physical connection from TyTn II to OBDKEY. I then "lost" my key for about a week, eventually discovered behind a cabinet in the family room. Before I lost it I ordered this MSI netbook and once I thought I had permanently lost the OBDKEY ordered the BT version. With it I was able to connect immediately with both my TyTn II and the netbook.

Just followed the directions in the user manual. When I installed the ODBD2007 software I notice there was runtime library to install so maybe you need to work through the install instructions to check if you need the same thing. My TyTn II has so much software on it that I probably already had most of the run time libraries on it anyway.

I did find the OBDKEY did not work with the DynoScan software but it came with the cable, adaptor and serial cable and I now have that working also.

Just look for any other installations required. The error message sounds suspiciously like that sort of problem. I started in the computer industry in the 60s but the message you have shown is more like a modern Object Oriented langauage problem.

A quick scan on the internet suggests to me that you are using a version of sql to store the codes and that has not been set up properly or it is the wrong version.

Check if the software is for your operating system and get an upgrade if it is not.

On the website I just looked at for OBD Guage there is a link for Net CF Runtimes. I think that should be your first port of call. Get the correct version for your OS.

David

1 person likes this.
  7. hybridprius

hybridprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am still not able to get it working on any windows mobile device, but I did get the palm version working. :)