1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone using AutoEnginuity ODBII scanner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rlcarr, Mar 5, 2005.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

I see that AutoEnginuity now has the Toyota-specific version of their scantool software available? Is anyone using this and their ODBII/CAN scantool with a 2004 or 2005 Prius? I remember many months ago that some people here were talking about buying it but were waiting for the Toyota-specific version of the scantool software to come out.

Thanks!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Does the software say it specifically covers the Prius? as it might only do the OBD11 requiements and not the Hybrid side of the CAN.

1 person likes this.
  3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have a web site where we can learn more?

4. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

5. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have tried a few different scan tools similar to this one which I have borrowed from friends, but none of them seem to be able to communicate with or even recognize the Prius.

The Prius seems to speak it's own language. Even a Toyota service tech said he had computer trouble at first during a diagnostic scan.

Speak to me Prius!

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First, be sure the scanner has a CAN interface. More and more cars will be using CAN rather than the more common SIL.

7. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am certain that the last OBDII scanner I used had a CAN interface.

Maybe computers just don't like me.

8. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I use the Autoxray scanner. It shows some engine stuff, but a lot is missing.
    And it can't see any of the rest of the car's computers.

So far I use it mostly as an engne temperature gauge. It does show rpm so you
    can see that and tell when the engine is going.

Some other things are more temperature readouts for the catalytic converters and
    intake air temp etc.

Still not even close to a substiute for a real Toyota scanner.

9. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow Tomdeimos,

Good to know. Where did you get your "Autoxray scanner?" and how did you make it talk to the Prius?

Can you get things like motor RPMs, coolant temp, oil temp, and cam timing?

I would love to hear more. I'm going to look into this.

Thanks,

~Andrew

10. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Andrew,

Got the 4000 model Autoxray from JC Whitney I think.

Overall pretty disappointing but I do use it to watch my coolant temps, since
    I baffle the radiator in winter.

After getting it I had to down load code updates. I did that. Then there is
    a $50 option for "Toyota" stuff. I got that, but didn't find it added anything
    useful for me.

Some of the things it can read are:

Some OBDII test result stuff of the pass/fail type.
    Coolant temp.
    2 Catalytic converter temps
    Air intake temp
    Throttle position
    Load
    Engine RPM
    Ignition advance
    some fuel mixture and trim stuff.

There are lots of things that just report not supported. And like I said
    nothing from the body computer etc.

I have found I need to turn it on and off after starting the Prius and
    before shutting down the Prius. If I forget, it locks up sometimes and
    I have to pull the batteries in the tester to shut it off.

I got some velcro like pads at Radio Shack and stuck one on the back and one on the bottom of the unit. Then I put ones on the steering wheel cover top and the dash, so I can stick it on while I drive.

I use it that way in monitor mode mostly. Hope to add a permanent
    temperature gauge instead at some point.

11. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the info,

I guess I'm going to hold out for something nicer to come alone.
    I'm also going to hold out until my wallet gets a little larger too.

Cheers,

~Andrew

12. vwashkow

vwashkow New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have the enhanced version of AutoEnginuity (AE). I have not yet plugged into a Prius. It seems to be fairly comprehensive on most Toyota's depending on the model. A global scan tool has a predetermined limited set of PIDs. PIDs are specific sensor values that are displayed on a scan tool ie TPS or say an Oxygen sensor. The global or generic list of PIDs is the same list whether you are working on a Toyota or a Ford or a Kia. With AE Toyota enhanced software it would cover most of the vehicle specific sensors, values etc... not included on a global tool. Alternator control for example would not be included on global. The global tool is ONLY concered with powertrain. AE Enhanced covers many of the modules on the vehicle depending on mode. ABS, traction control, SRS, climate control etc...
    AE requires quite a learning curve. You have to have the patience to learn the product. Comparing AE to a hand held global code reader scanner is like comparing a calculator to a laptop. AE has more than its share of communication problems. It is a work in progress. They are constantly adding product lines, fixing bugs, etc.. I update my software about once a month. TPMS is slow in coming on AE for the Toyota product. I have heard that Toyota has not released TPMS info to the aftermarket. What Toyota TPMS systems I have tried on the AE have not worked properly.
    I will let you know once I plug into a Prius.

Vance

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, old thread but apparently another one about AE that I hadn't
    seen yet. I also use AE in toyota enhanced mode, and it's been
    very useful for logging data for items like this and this as well
    as general diagnostics. The "actuation" bi-directional commands
    also seem to work well, such as killing injectors or running the
    radiator fans or activating the various water pumps/valves for
    use during air-bleeding procedures. I saw the product through
    from its earliest claimed "prius compatibility" which was still
    missing a lot of stuff a couple of years ago, but Jay and the
    team have put a ton of work into that and it's pretty sweet now.
    _H*

14. FB Classic Prius

FB Classic Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I am just joining PriusChat and am interested in this thread because it's time for me to get more serious about maintaining my 2001 Prius, which we "inherited" recently. Up to now we have owned only older cars and I have been literally a shade tree mechanic (done a few engine rebuilds, brake jobs, etc.). It's necessity for me since we don't have much $ and the nearest Toyota dealer is an hour and a half away.

Our Prius's ABS and BRAKE lights just came on (and stay on), though the braking seems normal. Perhaps the ABS system is not working. Anyway, I thought I should get a manual set (we're beyond DSL range so dial-up limits my options) and some sort of OBD reader. Any thoughts?

15. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use the AutoEnginuity scanner and love it. I bought it for my 2004 Dodge Intrepid before I had the Prius. I have not yet had any need to purchase the Daimler or Toyota specific upgrades yet.

Every time I have needed data, it is able to get it for me. The device pays for itself after one incident which would otherwise require a trip to the dealer. ( I don't trust the Auto Zone guys when it comes to technical stuff) Long Story.

- AutoEnginuity ODBII scan tool: $ 300
    - code indicating failed oxygen sensor on my 2004 Intrepid: $ Anxiety
    - 30 minute task to replace the sensor: $ only time
    - Not going to the crooked dodge dealer: Priceless

16. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the Bently manual from Amazon.com. It does a good job of describing all of the maintenance items that I dare perform on my Prius in sufficient detail. Not as detailed as the official Toyota manuals though (If the price didn't give that away).

I too do most if not all of the work on my other vehicles (time allowing) but there are some things on the Prius that I don't think I need to mess with.

17. FB Classic Prius

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for the feedback. As I understand it I would have to buy the AutoEnginuity PC based scanner for $250 plus another $150 for the Toyota Enhanced Expansion (plus borrowing my wife's laptop). It seems like my first use of the scan tool (the ABs/brake system) would require this much. As I said before, I have no experience with OBD/CAM. Can this tool generally pin the problem down to something like a wheel motion sensor or the ABS pump?

18. Huntceet

Huntceet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    II

19. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Google is also very useful for discovering codes. I love the fact that it scours forums for information.

The Bently repair manual has an entire section about ODBII codes for reference. The manual also suggests AutoEnginuity as an alternative to the Toyota TechStream software.

20. FB Classic Prius

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks Brian and Rod for more info. I guess I am coming to the conclusion that you both think the AutoEnginuity PC scan tool with Toyota extas is what I need for this kind of work (that is, there is no lower cost alternative that can really talk to the Prius at this level of detail). Is that the case?

Regarding manuals, as I understand it, there is not a Bently manual for my 2001 Prius. I also looked at alldatadiy.com as an on-line manual. With their sample demos the download times were not bad, even with dial-up out here in the country. Thoughts?