1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anything fun I can do with 'dead' MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusDummy, Aug 27, 2023.

1. PriusDummy

PriusDummy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 prius MFD, 7-key, part# 86110-47220.
    Ignored it until now since I had to deal with ABS actuator first.
    Already sent it in to AutoBeYours, they were unable to fix it and gave me a 100% refund.
    TLDR at end.

Long Version:
    MFD worked perfectly when I bought it ~8 months ago. A couple months ago, immediately following a mechanic visit for something completely unrelated, the MFD started to 'cycle.' It would turn on, work fine for a minute or two, then go 100% black, then a few seconds later reboot and show the Toyota logo then work again, then repeat.

The mechanic visit was for a catastrophic failure of a rear wheel brake cylinder that dumped all the brake fluid onto the road while driving, courtesy of the previous owner who confidently told me he'd done a brake job on the rear brakes a week before I bought it. I got the cylinder replaced by an independent prius mechanic who seemed solid, so I'm thinking it was just bad luck that the MFD issue cropped up under his care. Issue may have been triggered by the rigorous braking tests he did after fixing. Even when he did a test drive with me he slammed the brakes (I mean really slammed them, like 60 to 0 in 3 seconds I was getting nauseous) like 10 times which seemed unnecessary but whatever.

I've tried to sell the old one for really cheap but since I'm honest about its condition no one has bit yet. I've got nothing to lose and some spare money so I was wondering if there's anything I could try to do to fix it? Any fun or cool experiments I could run with it?

TLDR: Dead MFD. Qualified people (AutoBeYours) couldn't fix it. Probably lost cause. Probably gonna get used one from ebay. Anything fun or experimental I can do with old one? Hail mary fix ideas?

2. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would be interested in it. I don't mind keeping some spare parts in the garage.