1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anything to check as I approach 100,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Papito23, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coming up on 100,000 miles on my 2011 Prius (in a couple weeks).

I bought my as Certified Used from a dealer. The one year bumper-to-bumper has since expired but I think I had other components covered up to 100,000.

I remember seeing an old thread with a similar request but can't find it. Anything I should check? I'm also close to do for an oil change and new tires, so I could possibly pair those with a check of something else (not sure what).

Thanks!

2. Ginto

Ginto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just monitor your oil consumption and if you have the means check and clean the EGR components there are good instructions on this forum. As long as other items are done on schedule you should be fine.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    egr system cleaning

4. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    100k maintenance calls for coolant, both engine and inverter to be changed. I'd do the transaxle fluid while you are under there too since you probably do not have any records of it being done before

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Per the 2010 Maintenance Guide, Engine Coolant replacement is at 100K/120 months, Inverter Coolant at 150K/180 months. See Note 3 below. Toyota does not mention replacing transaxle fluid in the Maintenance Guide, but is still a good practice...

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 4.41.13 PM.png

6. Papito23

Papito23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all!

My indie mechanic, who is trusted in this area, says they will look at transmission/tranny fluid (I'm assuming this is what is meant by transaxle... I said "transaxle" and mechanic said that is all sealed off and not changed... confusing the terms here?) and determine if it needs a flush. If so, they will flush ($160). I've read horror stories about a flush dislodging deposits and causing more problems, so I hesitate a bit. I've never had it done on this vehicle before. I called Toyota Corporate about my Certified Used powertrain warranty through 100K and they said a flush should not void the warranty even if an issue is found immediately afterwards. I asked for something in writing but they said there was nothing they could provide. So I'm a little wary.

Mechanic said they'd do a coolant flush as well ($100).

60K mile Cooper tires on rebate ($385 - $50 rebate) so getting those four done as well.

Thoughts?

7. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Danger Danger Will Robinson. It is not a flush. its a drain and refill, very similar to changing radiator coolant. Not to dog your mechanic, he may have a good understanding of a conventional engine but it appears on the surface he doesn't have in-depth knowledge of a prius, you may want to take it to Toyota. In fact he probably won't even use the Toyota WS fluid required. I've read accounts of people on here having Toyota do it for about the same price. And to be honest I trust Toyota over almost any independent mechanic when it comes to actually preforming a task. FYI if you take it to Toyota they'll look at you like you have 3 heads and say its "lifetime fluid", well all fluid has a life. Lifetime for Toyota may only be 125k or 150k miles, you are left to decide what lifetime means to them for your investment. They'll do it with some minor prodding and likely charge you about $150, keep in mind that the fluid itself is about $9 a quart and you'll need just over 4.

I'd also make sure your mechanic uses Toyota Coolant if he changes that.

#7 eliteconcept, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    watch for oil burning at this high mileage.

transaxle fluid is just drain and refill.

engine and inverter coolant is just drain and refill as well.

watch our YouTube video, its pretty simple and shouldn't cost you more than 100$ to do all of this service.

9. pshooter62

pshooter62 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The service advisor at my Toyota dealership recommended the transaxle fluid change on my 2013 prius. Kind of surprised me because it isn't called for in the maintenance schedule. Not sure if I want to have it done or not.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long are you going to keep it? if more than 150k, i would do it.

11. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you plan on having this car long term I'd do it. Its well worth it. If you are quasi handy you can do it yourself

12. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did my transmission fluid change (130K) on my own. the refill plug was a pain in the nice person to get off, tight space. But the oil came out black. Definitely recommend to do this.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No one's mentioned brake fluid change. I believe it's still not in the US schedule? It is in the Canadian schedule, commencing 2014 model year IIRC, and this is really just a policy shift: Honda's been saying tri-yearly, regardless of mileage, for decades. Anyway, Canadian schedule, from 2014 onward, has been saying tri-yearly or 48K km's (30K miles).

@NutzAboutBolts has a video on this too. He uses mechanized suction, but it's readily doable with just some sort of syringe (for basting fluid out of the reservoir at the outset) and brake pedal plus the car's own pump, for the rest. You need some clear tubing, a catch container (Costco mayo jar is my SST, lol), and the kosher bleed bolt attachment is handy, the kind that'll stay on when you push them over the bleed bolt.

One thing, for basting fluid out of the reservoir, you need a VERY skinny tube, think humming bird beak. There's a plastic sort-of basket inside the reservoir, with a narrow slit for access to the rest. The slit is maybe 1/8" wide?

Also, have you been doing the more involved brake inspection, the one that comes up tri-yearly or 30K miles in the US schedule...

Here's the regular interval:

upload_2017-10-24_9-18-44.png

And here's the more involved one, first instance:

upload_2017-10-24_9-20-22.png
    upload_2017-10-24_9-21-0.png

#13 Mendel Leisk, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.