1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anything you would do differently???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rangerdavid, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My wife and I just picked up our 2006 silver pine mica, package #5 from Toyota of Boone here in N.C. They got three new Prii in yesterday, and actually have a black one that's not sold yet. The purchase experience was excellent. Our salesman was Joey Campbell, and he never tried to sell us anything "extra" and took over a half hour explaining to us the various features on the car. Our wait was about 6 weeks.

I was wondering, hence this post, since my car now has 8 miles on it, is there anything any of you would have done differently (looking back on it now) when you first picked up your car? Anything you may suggest I do with mine that may be of benefit after the miles add up?? (other than just drive and enjoy, which we are already doing!!!!) I have already read in anticipation about the tire pressure, oil changes, etc. that have been posted here.

Anyway, we're very happy to "officially" be amoung the Prius family and look forward to continuing to read all your experiences and suggestions and posts.

WHOOOoooPEEeeeee!!!!! I got a PRIUS!!!!! :D :D :D

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't do anything differently, except possibly have my husband take more pictures of me in and around my new purchase the night we picked it up.

Just drive it, definitely enjoy it, and get used to the feel of it. The Prius is an amazing car and an excellent piece of technology. Then make a list of any mods or extras you want to add to the car (mud flaps, all weather mats, window tint, etc) and start checking things off the list as your Prius gets personalized.

:D

Congratulations!!

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd have installed my mudflaps right away. That's it!
    rpm

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd probably have replaced the OEM tires right away instead of waiting 9 months. Better tires are a safety feature. I'm not sure there's a big difference between brands, but get the top-of-the-line tire in your favorite brand. I use Michelin HydroEdge all-season tires. I stay home if the weather is really nasty, so I don't need full-blown snow tires in winter.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have held out and waited for a Black with gray interior.

I would have drilled and installed the third screw on the inner corner of the rear mudflaps. One of mine is broken now. I'll have to take the tire off and do it now.

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would get the 3M clear bra installed professionally first thing.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would NOT have bought the pre-paid maintenance. The Finance guy scared me with their price of 15K, 30K, 45K and 60K service ("The pre-paid maintenance pays for itself with the 45K service alone!") but I waited too long to cancel. Now I understand the Prius almost doesn't need anything more than oil changes. And it always burns me that the service ticket says 5 quarts of oil used, though they have always filled it correctly.

I concur with the 3M clear paint protector, better tires, and mud flaps.

Be sure and turn off the MFD sometime and just drive. Congratulations and welcome to the cult, er, club!

8. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :) :) Thanks, excellent suggestions all !! I had not thought about the mud flaps at all, and I've only read about the 3M clear paint protectors (rather expensive i hear). I had only thought about the all weather mats and cargo net as immediate options, but these protective additions seem much more logical choices now to keep the car looking new.......... I didnt' buy the prepaid maintenance plan, glad I didn't ... I might go back and get the extended warranty though, but I have 3 yrs. (or 36000 mi) to do that I understand.

thanks everybody :) :)

9. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As far as the 3M protection, I've seen the price range vary much too much. I got mine from VA Clear Tech in Christiansburg, VA (not too far from Boone, NC if I remember correctly). The entire front end was $550 and took about 3 hours. The prices I had been quoted in northern Virginia were in the range of $1000-1200, so I was more than happy to wait the month until my trip back to VT to get it installed and save half the money.

Personally I still haven't had anything happen that screams wow it saved me...but every time my dad washes my car he mentions he thinks it will be worth every penny.

10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would have gone for a higher option package instead of the basic #3 so that I would have had VSC, navigation, and 6-disc CD changer. I didn't think I needed the the last two (probably because I have survived so far without them), but it would have been nice. The VSC sounds like something that should have been included. I should have also gone for the clearcoat protection.

I felt that these options were not worth the extra money being charged. However, if one can afford them, they are really nice to have. It's kind of like buying a new computer -- go for the best that you can afford.

I might have also gone for the magnetic grey instead of the silver (too light, too common).

11. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Congrats!

I love my cargo net! It is nice to keep things from rolling around and hitting the inside of the cargo area.

Cheers,

12. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yeah, I've thought about the cargo net as well. I think that is a necessity, along with the splash guards (mud flaps) and all weather floor mats to get immediately. :) Any other suggestions??? (and thanks all) :D

13. Trinity

Trinity New Member

I would have gone for a cheaper package, and used the difference to convert to plugin. Leather and navigation are nice, but just imagine +100 mpg. :)

14. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Silver Pine Mica doesn't do well when someone door dings you, so just go out now and give the rear driver door a big whopper with your foot.

Then when you see the dent, you can remember that you did it rather than think evil thoughts upon the anonymous person who gave you that first ding. Also, it will kill the suspense of wondering and waiting for someone else to do it to you.

Congrats on the new ride, enjoy!

15. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

It’s been over six months (1 December) since I purchased my 2006 Classic Silver Prius. The only option I wanted and got was side air bags. I would do nothing different. It was the most pleasant car purchasing experience I have ever had in my 60 years.
    I bought my Prius from Jim Love at Titus Will in Tacoma, Washington. I have spoken to two others that have bought cars from him and they also said it was a very pleasant experience. I even wrote a letter to the manager.
    Just say Kathleen referred me.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trinity @ Jul 17 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]287654[/snapback]</div>
    If you're refering to the CDrive Systems mod, the price tag is probably going to be $12,000 and they are still not actually offering it to the public, last time I looked at their web page.

I want it, too, but I'm beginning to wonder if Toyota is going to offer a PHEV before CDrive Systems.

17. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would not have bought the dealer-priced extended warranty and then have to go to the trouble of getting my money back after I found out how much I was gouged for it. Say "No, thank you," to everything the finance guy offers you.