1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anytime Backup Camera Without Complete Dash Removal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by smartalec89, Feb 19, 2010.

1. smartalec89

smartalec89 The Official Alaskan

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After hunting around for days I think I have successfully read every thread about the "anytime backup camera". But not once did anyone ever ask about doing it without the complete dash removal on nonJBL models. I noticed on Darell's website (Darell's Electric Vehicle Page) that the speed interrupter mod can be done on the right side of the MFD in the plugs there. Is there access to the wires needed for the backup camera there as well? I would really appreciate if anyone could show me.
    Thank you,
    Smartalec89

2. bsoft

bsoft New Member

Honestly pulling the MFD only takes about 5-10 minutes one you get the technique. My first time took about an hour.

Some notes:

Be careful not to break a clip. I did; fortunately it doesn't really affect the fit of the panel (the bottom trim panel below the steering wheel wiggles more if you pull on it, but that's about it). Also, don't stack anything metal on your dash (the plastic scratches easily).

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its been a while since I did mine but if I remember correctly the easiest way to do it is to remove the MFD.

I know this does not show the detail on the removal process but this is a video of myself removing the radio in about 5 minutes. Video is time compressed so it sont be so boring. Also there is no sound. I can get to the MFD in about 2 minutes.

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6515621453078307293]2006 Prius radio removal in about 5 minutes.[/ame]

4. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darell's site also include the info you want in he Process 1

Reverse video

I don't think that requires the JBL radio.

5. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gosh Jay, that video looks like you're in training to pull a Prius radio and go as fast as possible. Do you have some sideline "career" we should know about? ;)

6. smartalec89

smartalec89 The Official Alaskan

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't want to chance damaging the dash. I did find the electrical wiring diagrams and will probably complete the mod sometime this month. I'll let everyone know how it went. I'll also take pictures so if anyone else wants to they can.