1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyway to get video iPod playing on console display?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by slothfratelli, Feb 20, 2007.

1. slothfratelli

slothfratelli Junior Member

Hi everyone I'm new here. I have an '07 Touring Package #2 and was wondering if there was anyway to get movies playing on my video iPod to display on the console display? I think it would be awesome to be able to do this and not have to pay for an in dash DVD player.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been addressed.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slothfratelli @ Feb 20 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]393653[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you'll need a video controller (~US$300) and a DVD player (those slim portable ones. Hopefully they won't skip) and you're done (in the simplest of terms).

3. slothfratelli

slothfratelli Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 21 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]393775[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to sound dumb, but why do I need a DVD player if I'm going to have my video content on the Ipod and play it on the in dash console direct from the ipod (i'm not using any dvds)? Thanks.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slothfratelli @ Feb 21 2007, 04:09 AM) [snapback]393841[/snapback]</div>
    because I wasn't thinking :lol:

Sorry. Yeah.. just the video controller and some way to connect your iPod video to the controller (cradle maybe?)

5. dtsteele

dtsteele New Member

I thought both the DICE unit with video cradle and the Coast Ultimate LockPick devices had the ability to do this. If I understand it right, the LockPick works with windoze software and could require reformatting for us mac users. I'd like to know if that is true for the DICE unit too? My main use for either would be keeping my video ipod charged and playing itunes via it but I would use video too from time to time. Any experience/advice out there for a new 2007 (non-nav) pruis owner?

Thanks, Dale B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slothfratelli @ Feb 21 2007, 07:09 AM) [snapback]393841[/snapback]</div>

6. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While it may be cool to have video on your MFD, please consider the ramifications:

It's probably illegal to have a video player the driver can view. This is a major distraction from the road. This is why in-car dvd players are only visible to the rear passengers. Legality aside, it is not a good idea to be watching something and driving at the same time, since driving is a visual activity.

Please be safe! :eek:

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(razzledazzlebee @ Feb 26 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]396753[/snapback]</div>
    Give them a break. I SERIOUSLY doubt they would be stupid enough to watch DVDs from the driver's seat while in motion.