1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AP Reporter seeking new Prius owners

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ddurbin, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ddurbin

ddurbin New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a reporter with the AP and I'm wondering if buyers have concerns about potential shortages or price hikes on Prius and other vehicles made in Japan in light of the earthquake. Were you on the fence but went ahead and bought in the last week because of these concerns? Or not? If you'd like to talk with me, my email is ddurbin (at) ap.org. Thank you.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    4 people like this.
  3. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm planning to buy one soon, but that has nothing to do with any potential shortages. But the thought of a shortage might motivate me to hurry a bit.

4. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, sure.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been looking for about 6 months. i can tell you that back then, they were being discounted almost $4,000. around here. now, you're lucky to find one at full price! but if there's a shortage, i'll wait for the next recession.

6. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We're not in the market right now but I can give you a prime example of the effect of dwindling inventories. We bought ours near the end of the Cash for Clunkers program. We originally wanted a Camry hybrid but there were none anywhere. Inventories of many types of cars, especially hybrids, had been decimated by C4C. I talked to a local salesman and said he "might" have one Prius left. He called me back and it was still there but he made me put a credit card deposit to hold it until that afternoon. We went and drove it and my wife liked it well enough so we closed the deal. I asked if he could discount it and he just shook his head and smiled as if to say "are you crazy?". Not a penny off sticker but we did good in the C4C program. This is a good dealer that offers no haggle pricing (good discounts) in normal times.

Inventories of the Prius are already dwindling. Between gas prices and the Japan crisis, people considering a new Prius will be running, not walking, to get their cars. I'm sure prices have gone up a lot, they may already be asking sticker. The used market will also be affected as new ones become less available (not so much the case in C4C as you had to take delivery of a new car in that program). I read about one dealer that recently bought 12 Prius at auction and went right back for 15 more.

Another example, we bought a new 2008 Lexus RX400h in late 2007 as they were just coming off the boats. Dealers had limited inventory and the demand was high. Our dealer knocked $1000 off as a gesture of good will (2% on a $50,000 car).

It's very simple, it's supply and demand. As supply goes down and demand increases, prices go up. Apparently the Japan auto manufacturing plants are still operating but it's very possible that many parts suppliers were affected by the earthquake, that could significantly affect their manufacturing capabilities.

1 person likes this.
  7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's no doubt that Japan's disaster (earthquake and nuclear) will have a profound affect upon global supply chains creating supply/demand issues that may ripple down to 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers. This just won't be an auto industry issue, but everything Japan manufacturers including food supplies. IMO, we're not yet seeing the negative supply-side impact of this disaster.

I feel embarrassed talking about supply interuption when hundreds of thousands of Japanese lives are displaced and/or ruined. As if it's important for the Asoc. Press to write about the American inconvience of the Japan disaster. Under the circumstances, supply interruption just isn't a feel good report. I'm sure on Wall Street this is a serious consequence of the disaster, but not for me.

If I could be quoted in the report, I'd like the Japanese to know their American friends will support them in every spiritual, physical and financial way possible.

God bless the Japanese

1 person likes this.
  8. Ragadelic

Ragadelic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I started looking at the Prius in early to mid-February. Price seemed reasonable and they had a $500 incentive to boot. I wanted to sell my existing car prior to making a commitment to the Prius and, unfortunately, the Michigan weather wasn't all that conducive to convincing people that they REALLY wanted to purchase a convertible in February. I was ready to postpone my purchase but, after speaking to my salesman, I reconsidered. (I jokingly mentioned that his dire predictions sounded like "car salesman BS" but admitted that they had the ring of truth.) This was, of course, prior to the earthquake however I can't help but feel that gas prices are edging toward a tipping point which, in itself, will create a significant bump in demand for the Prius. (And we all know what happens to prices following such a bump.) A friend of mine is in the business of selling scooters (think Vespa) and his business has taken a dramatic upswing in the last few weeks. I ended up purchasing a Prius on Feb. 28 and I couldn't be happier. Now, if you happen to know anyone that is in the market for a drop dead gorgeous MINI Cooper convertible . . .

9. tractng

tractng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is still a mass production car and costs around 24K+ so I am not worried. Dealers always tell you they sell like hotcakes...
    Running to buy??

10. givenup

givenup New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought mine for 2800 under MSRP and 1000 under invoice just three weeks ago. Personally, if I hadn't bought then, I would wait this out and buy when there is less demand as opposed to paying MSRP.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

unlikely thats gonna happen with gas prices going up too.... I think in 3-4 weeks it will be the worste, because they are probably still receiving some already made cars, but in a month thats when it will stop and thats where 1 month delay in deliveries from factories will start... together with gas being up....

12. givenup

givenup New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I mean is I would wait months if not a year or more to buy one. There is a shortage but the economy didn't suddenly turn really wonderful and there really aren't that many more buyers than there were a few weeks ago.

That said, gas prices can really make a difference.

13. Airboss

Airboss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I saved almost $5000 in early February on a new 2010 Prius V (five) with ATP. I believe that I was extremely lucky in my timing.

14. tractng

tractng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What package and city?

15. givenup

givenup New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota Marin in San Rafael. Package IV.

16. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I purchased mine in January. I was planning to hold off until July when my carpool lane stickers on my HCHII expired, but I was worried that rapid increase in fuel was going to create a shortage in supply, and a $2000 discount from MSRP would become a $2000 premium over MSRP. I saw this happen in 2006 when I bought my Civic Hybrid and couldn'd find a Prius in the whole state in May, 2006.

17. Dubs

Dubs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my 2011 Prius the day after the earthquake, before the news media grabbed hold and before the dealership knew how they were going to be affected. If I hadn't have purchased that day, I would have waited this whole shortage situation out.