1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

apartmentratings.com credibility for Seattle area apartments?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Aug 7, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm going to have to move (back) to the Seattle area because of work in a month or so. I plan to go apartment hunting this weekend and I just found out about Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.. I looked through some ratings including places I lived at before (one AGES ago) but I'm not sure what to make about the credibility of the "reviews" there...

For instance, I lived at Adagio Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Bellevue apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com for from mid 1998 to 2004 and had no issues or big complaints about the place even after they switched management to the current name (from Carlton Place to Adagio). Yet, the current reviews say the place really sucks and is a hell hole.

Anyone know if apartmentratings.com is reasonably legit or are they like Yelp? (Yelp's credibility problem: Blame it on algorithm? | Digital Media - CNET News) Or is it just a place for complainers to vent but most people are happy (and don't post)? Or perhaps it's a place full of bogus posts from positive posts from shills and negative posts from competitors?

Side story on Yelp: Way before Yelp got all the bad press, a friend of mine told me his wedding photographer was victimized by Yelp (positive reviews removed) for declining paid advertising offers from them.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having lived in San Jose, i can say, you probably better off living up here anyway... but then again, i have never lived in Seattle. but have been there many many times.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Haha.... err, I prefer the Bay Area, except for the income tax and high housing prices.

I grew up in San Jose. I lived in Seattle for ~1 year and Bellevue for >6 years.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh San Jose was a very nice place to live, no doubt. i much prefer their weather (i came from Riverside so its much cooler than what i was used to). just expensive, crowded and a economy that was too tied to the cyclical ups and downs of the computer industry especially at the time i lived there.

i worked with a contractor at the time and we did kitchen upgrades. now this was before the computer industry became as dominant as it is today. Apple was still king but falling fast. we went from working 6 days a week, 10 hour days, juggling up to 4-5 jobs at a time, to one job a week. cant feed 4 families on that...

one other thing...what i really liked about the area was the its central location. there was so much to do and see all within 100 miles.

5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Back when I was condo hunting (5 years ago), I looked at some reviews on apartmentratings.com for a building that was being converted to condos. My real estate agent thought that it was skewed toward the negative, since as you said people with complaints are more likely to post than people who are happy. I figured he was probably right.

But, the content of the complaints was very helpful to me. Something like "the walls are so thin, I can hear my neighbor when he pees" is good know because it involves structural issues that can't be changed and probably affect everyone. Different complaints, such as problems with management, might be more isolated instances.

So I would use it like I use customer ratings on sites like Amazon - they might not be representative of the population at large, but they can still help with decision making.

6. quatrogatos

quatrogatos New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using just my own experience as a gauge, I'd suggest you be highly skeptical of most of what you read on Apartment Ratings "dot" com. You'll run into both the perennial whiners (who want to recount every injustice - real or imagined - they've ever suffered) and the management's lackeys, who post (unjustified) glowing reviews. Now, if you are seeing the same complaints about staff turnover, dishonest and/or incompetent employees, crumbling construction or bad maintenance, you might want to take notice....and if you read a well-balanced review that lists both good and bad, I'd also suggest heeding it. For the most part, though, I recommend you do your homework the old-fashioned way: gather facts, visit the property, ask questions, and put your intuition to work.

Good luck to you!