1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apparent Small Bug in Prius MFD Instantaneous FE dispay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by donee, May 11, 2008.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I think I see a small bug in the Prius MFD Mileage indicator. I have been using Attila Voss's CAN scanner, on the EEE PC (thanks to the Mycanscan sourceforge project).

The two instaneouse FE values agree reasonablly after the car gets into Stage 4, but during a glide in the the lower stages, when the engine is still running, the Prius MFD indicates 99.9 mpg. While the Mycanscan indicates more like 35 to 45 mpg. With the engine idling, and the car moving along at 35 or so mph, I think I believe the Mycanscan.

This also happens in Stage 4 on the highway. In which case the the Mycanscan reads about 73 mpg, when the Prius 99.9 mpg in a 55 mph electric only downhill segment.

During a true glide, with engine off, however, the Mycanscan goes to infinite MPG (blanks the instantaneous FE number) just like the Prius (99.9 mpg displayed).

Does anybody see this effect when using other CAN bus mileage inidcating devices ?

It seems to me the Prius instaneous mileage indicator is set to ignore engine consumption, in glides, and EV mode operation. Which is correct only in stage 4, below 41 mph.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see this sometimes in the morning on my way to work. When I'm doing 50mph before the car has warmed up and in stage 2 I think, I will try to do a high speed glide. What I get is no arrows and 99mpg on the MFD. This looks just like a low speed glide except the engine is still spinning and burning .1 gallons per hour and its somewhere in the 30-40mpg according to my Can-View.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My SuperMID M-1 measures the fuel injector pulse width, and it clearly shows zero msec injector ON period on highway coasting.

Ken@Japan
    PRIUS DIY

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Ken,

I may be confused as to what is going on, on the highway. Its about 10 minutes into my morning commute, just after I get on the highway.

There is a downgrade portion, which I attempt to get above 99.9 mpg on the Prius display. The car may not be actually in EV mode there, I will double check. It depends on the ambient temperature if I can get over 99.9 mpg. Sometimes its like 97, or so, and tuning the peddle, I can peak the mileage. So, that does not sound like Electric drive.

I rarely get into the highway Electric drive, due to traffic, and relatively flat terrain and spring head winds. I will pay more attention, and see if I can confirm things one-way or the other. The MyCANScan is off to the left, and the Prius display is to the right. So I will need to keep an eye on the Prius display, look for all yellow, and then check the MyCANScan

As for the warm-up low speed situation, that is clear. There is a definate difference.

What would cause this difference? How do these things measure the fuel consumption? I assume its injector pulse width right? Is there another way ?

5. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no injector pulse width data on the CAN message, I believe.
    I think Prius MFD data is using the injector pulse width for the instantaneous mpg display same as my SuperMID.

I'm trying to read the graphcan.c source code of Mycanscan project, but I could not find how they calc the instantaneous mpg yet.

Ken@Japan

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One thing that I learned, early on, was that the MFD lies.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this: let the engine idle in neutral while coasting down
    from 30 mph or so, and watch the iFCD. Around 18 MPH it
    starts to float down a little from 99.9 and still likely
    registers a reasonably accurate figure -- if you could
    stay in a low idle with a 1.6 ms injector time while being
    magically pushed around at normal speeds, you probably
    *would* get over 99.9 MPG regardless.
    _H*

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had a similar problem with my Graham scanner but it turns out the two fuel consumption values do not go to "zero" but just a low number: (1) injector timing, and (2) mass air flow. I had to adjust my spreadsheet to treat these 'low values' as zero and then there was agreement.

Bob Wilson

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bob,

Are you saying that your Graham scanner determined mileage by Mass Airflow?

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Graham scanner doesn't calculate or display mileage but it does report two metrics that give can give fuel consumption, mass air flow as well as injector timing. Originally proposed by Florian Steiper, the mass air flow is in a 14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio. Injector timing and engine rpm can also provide the fuel consumed. Given the Graham scanner only reports up to six variables, it is important to choose which is used carefully but both will not go to "zero" but rather a low value that has to be treated as zero.

Ken@Japan first pointed out that direct injector timing monitoring is a much better metric than OBD reported injector timing. I've figured out it is because they don't 'return to zero' but a low value that should be treated as zero.

Bob Wilson

11. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, following is what I read from the program source.
    The data came from CAN-ID:0x348, throttle related number, stated by Attila's spreadsheet.
    If engine rpm=0, then the value is forced to zero, else the value is used.
    The throttle value is converted to mpg number using following formula.

MPG = (float) ((SpeedV * (float) SPDSCALER_MILE) / ThrottleV);

My bet is Mycanscan has the bug, and Prius MFD and my SuperMID show the fuel-cut correctly.

Ken@Japan

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i posted this about 2 years ago... happens when coasting downhill before engine is warm. i can hear engine running, but no indication on MFD of that. apparently does not show up when in warmup mode...definitely a bit weird.