1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Appearance MODS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hobbryd, Mar 18, 2005.

1. hobbryd

hobbryd New Member

I am new here and new to the Toyota Prius. I just purchased my 2001 2 days ago. I used to be a Mustang Owner and enjoyed Modding it out. I just sold it to purchase the Prius, is there any place I can buy aftermarket hoods, rims and body kits for this car? I love driving this car, love the gas mileage, but it needs help on the appearance. Any suggestions?

2. dgstan

dgstan Member

I've got a 2005, but my opinions should apply to the earlier version.

I've been reluctant to look into any body modifications. I've still got those pesky plastic wheel rims on! I look at it this way: The car was designed in a wind tunnel and any mod you make will likely harm the aerodynamics of the vehicle, therefore affecting you MPG. It's funny, after a couple weeks, my car gets dusty. A drive on the freeway doesn't even blow the dust off.

That said, the first week I had the car, I put some aggressive tint on the windows. I believe that really enhanced the appearance of the vehicle.

Sorry I wasn't more help, but I've learned to love the lines of the car. Form follows function. It's not "ugly" because the designers have no aesthetic values (like the Asstek) - it's shaped that way for a reason.

DGStan

3. hobbryd

hobbryd New Member

If I had the 2005 body style I wouldn't really care. But the 2001 is not as attractive. I want to tint for sure but was just wondering if there was options to make it look better. But thanks for your help anyways.

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

If you check on ebay right now there are a few items up for bid from various dealers that are strictly appearance mods and are for the 2001 - 2003 model years. I saw a spoiler and some side fins there just last night.

Just do a search for "Prius" and you will get lots of info.

I also agree that this is a car where you will come to love how she looks based on what those looks can do for you. I have also seen some pictures of folks cars where they have changed out the wheels (there is a set of low profile OEM wheels & tires up for bid right now as I recall) and done some other things that looked pretty good without sacrificing performance of the car.

You might also want to try searching Prius Accessories on the web as there are some performance mod companies that sell all kinds of goodies that might be usable. Also try good old PepBoys as they have lots of generic aftermarket items that might, could or should work.

Take a look in the Album section of PriusChat for more ideas.

Hope this helps.

Tisza

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose you could slap on 15" or 16" rims on it from any aftermarket wheel & tyre shop. Add HID headlights and/or foglights, change the interior dome lamp to a blue bulb, tint, change the interior dash lights from green to whatever colour you wish, change the shifter handle (should be possible since there's no O/D wire to cut/re-attach). That's all I can think of atm.

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
  7. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Go to albums appearance mods search for ammiel and you will see mine and a whole bunch of others

8. hobbryd

hobbryd New Member

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't see those pix...mind reposting them here.

10. hobbryd

hobbryd New Member

11. senectus

senectus New Member

12. hobbryd

hobbryd New Member

I miss my old car and its only been a week. I will buy another Mustang next year. Use it as my weekend car, project car. With all the money I save on gas, I should be able to buy a nice one. :D