1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Apple’s CarPlay is finally coming to Toyota

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PRPrius, Jan 15, 2018.

1. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It has finally happened! Apple CarPlay has made it to a Toyota vehicle. The 2019 Avalon will be the first Toyota with Apple CarPlay. I hope this means that 2019 might be the model year the Prius and other Toyota vehicle finally get CarPlay. Unfortunately for android users, Android Auto is not available at this time.

Here is the posting from Toyota about he new Avalon. “Meet the all-new 2019 #Avalon…with captivating design, dynamics and an elevated level of luxury. Now with Apple CarPlay. #NAIAS”

krmcg likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! (Slightly) better late than never. ;) Do you have a link?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would depend on how fast they roll out Entune 3 to new models. I believe the 2018 Camry was one of the first. Perhaps they will see a software upgrade in the future.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Apple CarPlay last longer than an Apple Phone - which a friend had hers superseded recently - no longer to get security updates etc, less than 4 years old.

5. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So far I’ve only seen t mentioned on their Facebook posting and their NAIAS presentation. Here is the link to Toyota’s Facebook post which mentions CarOlay. BTW- I just found out that for Google users, the car will support Alexa services.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apple CarPlay has been out since 2014, just not in Toyotas.
    I believe you need to plug the phone in using USB, though, not Bluetooth.

7. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is true CarPlay until 2017 was a USB only option. However, 2017 saw the introduction of hardware that would support wireless CarPlay. The 2017 BMW 5 series was the first car to arrive with a wireless Apple CarPlay set up. I know Volkswagen is getting ready to roll it out. Harman, the supplier of the JBL sound system among others, already offers the hardware that supports wireless CarPlay. It’s just a matter of waiting for automakers to roll it out within their lineups.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Apple’s CarPlay is finally coming to Toyota and Lexus vehicles - The Verge
    The company confirmed in a comment to MacRumors that CarPlay will show up in additional 2019 cars from Toyota and Lexus that run the company’s Entune 3.0(for Toyota) and Enform 2.0 (for Lexus) infotainment platforms as well. It has yet to clarify whether or not 2018 models already running those platforms will get support through a software update.

Damn us early adopters missed it.

I have used carplay in several rentals and i will say it works well. While im not an apple maps fan the convenience enough had me using Carplay. Also the spotify integration was cool.

jaqueh likes this.
  11. FyeUK

FyeUK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m not a Toyota owner right now but I’m in the process of buying an EU Prime at the moment. I’m guessing that there’s not much chance that a retrofit option will be available for this!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota and Lexus to Offer CarPlay in Select 2019 Vehicles and Beyond in United States - Mac Rumors

Update: Toyota has now shared a press release that reveals the 2019 Avalon has a new nine-inch capacitive touchscreen. CarPlay is a standard feature on all trim levels of the vehicle, which goes on sale in late spring 2018.

Update 2: Toyota informed MacRumors that its CarPlay implementation will be wired, so connecting an iPhone via USB will be required. We're also told that CarPlay will be available in select 2019 model year and beyond Lexus vehicles with its Enform 2.0 multimedia system in the United States.

Update 3: Toyota told us that it doesn't have any plans to support CarPlay in pre-2019 vehicles at this time, even though models like the 2018 Camry and 2018 Sienna have its Entune 3.0 system.

RCO, bwilson4web and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry. we won't shoot the messenger ;)

RCO likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was posting for "Update #3" actually.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of Toyota's updates defy logic!

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    True. I'm beginning to suspect the choice was driven by Japan more than anything.

Android has the lion's share of the market in terms of devices in use, although it seems that Apple is more popular in Japan.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Trollbait and RCO like this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    True. I'm beginning to suspect the choice was driven by Japan more than anything.

Android has the lion's share of the market in terms of devices in use, although it seems that Apple is more popular in Japan.

At least they're not using Windows Phone (Microsoft is a partner in Toyota Connected.)

RCO likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My previous phone was a WINDOWS - it was great, very stable, I only rebooted it a couple of times in the 14 mths I had it (it died 6 weeks out of warranty - no fault of WINDOWS, but the manufacturer wasn't interested!!). Unlike my Android which needs rebooting a couple of times a week. The problem with WINDOWS phones - not many apps, though, I will say that they were mostly useful apps, not like the sheer quantity of ½* (½ star is generous with many) apps to choose from on Android.

RCO likes this.
  19. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't doubt your Windows phone was a good device. The original Nokia (now a carrier hardware company after acquiring Alcatel-Lucent) phones were outstanding, and the revived Nokias seem to be good, too.

Windows Phone never was able to capture enough market share to make the project worthwhile.

No matter how well they worked, Microsoft has had difficulties making successful consumer small devices, other than keyboards and mice.

Lack of market support killed WinCE PDAs. Those got clobbered by Palm. Zune never made a dent in iPod's market space, and multiple factors brought about Windows Phone's demise.

The jury's out on Surface.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  20. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Apple currently has the longest support for any mobile phone - you'll be lucky to ever get the new Android update.

RCO likes this.