1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple and Toyota. Similar in many ways?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by schja01, Jul 1, 2019.

1. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was reading an article in DIGITAL TRENDS regarding 5G adoption among the various players.
    When I read the section on Apple it struck me how similar Apple is to adopt new tech as Toyota seems to be.
    Just substitute Toyota for Apple and 5G for, say, Car Play etc. and it becomes clear. At least to me it does.
    upload_2019-7-1_8-8-47.png
    Entire DIGITAL TRENDS article can be found here for those who might be interested:
    Every 5G-Capable Phone Announced So Far | Digital Trends

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Both are in similar positions relative to their respective markets: So huge that they need to be really, really, pathologically certain of their next steps, because so much is at stake and the sheer quantities of materials, effort & logistics involved are so big.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Their market position also means they can afford to lose a few early adopters as they squeeze the last penny out of past investments.

I wouldn't use CarPlay for the Toyota example, but greater than 4 speed or CVT transmission in the Corolla and smaller cars. I think the Yaris hatchback is still 4 speeds.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must be why we're an all apple/toyota family!(y)

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because you prefer 4 speed/3G car phones?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2020 Yaris

Not clear how many gears, virtual or otherwise it shifts to.. but likely that it's a match with the Yaris sedan, which would make it a 6-speed auto or manual for certain trims.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And like the sedan, it is a rebadged Mazda2.
    I expected Toyota to do this. Less cost for them than bringing over the new Yaris for a small segment. It means the US getting the new Yaris hybrid/Prius c less likely though.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. I did have a crazy thought that the next shoe to drop would be a second-generation Aqua, arriving in the USA as the new Prius full stop.

With hybridization well spread across the Toyota lineup at this point, the Prius liftback seems to overlap heavily with the Corollas. Am I wrong on that?

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Aqua/Prius c is likely to die as a model; the current one is different from the Yaris. The name may live on with new trim pieces on a Yaris hybrid. Toyota's full hybrid system is still costly in lite of US fuel prices, which is why the Prius c isn't likely to continue here. It might happened if we were to get an actual Toyota Yaris, but the best we can hope for in those Mazda2s is a rebadged i-Eloop regen braking and an auto start/stop system, which will cost less.

The Prius always had a lot in common with the Corolla. Part of the reason it has taken this long to get a Corolla hatchback in the US was to let the Prius keep the distinction. It is the same reason the US is just getting the hybrid Corolla as a LE sedan with $3000 upcharge. We aren't getting a non-hybrid wagon, because that might hurt Rav4 sales.

Which is why there is speculation the next Prius will be a PHEV, BEV, or perhaps FCEV only.