1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Dafna, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Dafna

Dafna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello! This is my first post and I've seen a bunch of other posts on this topic, so I'm sorry if I'm duplicating. I have a 2019 Prime base level. The sales guy at the dealership told me that all the models would be upgraded by Toyota to include Apple CarPlay. Three years later, I know this to be a lie. I'm considering having the entire unit replaced by a Pioneer radio with Apple CarPlay. It's expensive but I commute very long distances. Has anyone had this done and would you or would you not recommend it and why? THANK YOU!!!!

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Welcome Dafna and congratulation on your first post.
    I wouldn't recommend replacing the radio with an after-market unit, because on these newer cars, the radio has become the communication nexus of your car. You would most likely lose some functionality or not realize some functionality has been lost, until you try to use it and it doesn't work.
    I replaced the radio in my 2002 GMC truck; because I needed a backup camera. Had to buy a CAN bus interface to get my audio alarms working again. No door chimes or seat belt buzzer, I could've lived without them but - I was afraid that I might miss a CEL or one of my gauges going into the red - no alarms no alerts. I drove around the block, before I realized this was going to be an issue. The guys in the shop that installed it, never said a word, until I pointed it out to them. The backup camera and stereo was working great though. I opted not to spend an additional $100 to get the steering wheel radio controls working. It's like that dealership sales guy:whistle:. For the cost and utility of the upgrade, it was barely worth it; IMHO. It's easier hooking up the RV now, and I got Android Auto & Apple Carplay interface. I can only imagine what a nightmare it's going to be to interface a newer car with many more computer controls.
    If you decide to go ahead and replace your OEM unit; make sure the shop that's doing the work is licensed and bonded - in case they accidentally fry one or more of your onboard processors. Double check that all your wireless equipment is still working (ie. key fobs, SOS button, WiFi, onboard data display, entune or toyota app, door chime, backup camera and reverse chime).

Good Luck...

PS. update your car profile:)

#2 BiomedO1, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022