1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple iPad Impressions

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jan 27, 2010.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So what does everyone think of the new Apple iPad?

Seems kind of cool to me. It looks like it would be an awesome video player and a great tool to browse the web, plus the ability to use the app store is neat. I'd probably buy it over a netbook if I were looking for a simple home computer.

That said, I didn't find it too revolutionary otherwise. It's basically a big iPhone without the phone with a few UI enhancements for its size. I still think it's cool, but I won't be camped outside of the Apple store the day of its release or anything.

1 person likes this.
  2. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I want one...or two!!!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YAWN....don't see the point

4. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have been holding off on an iPod Touch purchase waiting for the news on the iPad. After reading about it and some of the features, I think I will likely end up going with a Touch instead. Not much to offer there that I don't aleady get on my notebook, other than a really cool look and feel.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were already planning on a Kindle and want something you can do all the stuff an iPod touch does it could be a good choice for the price.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More consumer electronics crap to sell you proprietary content. Hopefully it's as easily recylable as they claim, because it'll be sitting around collecting dust or in a landfill within 5 years.

7. risingsun

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    True, but compared to a $30K car, we're talking minimal impacts, right?

8. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the same way so many people buy new latest-and-greatest cell phones every 9-12 months, relegating their perfectly good unit to the dust heap (or worse, the landfill). This "minimal impact" repeats itself over and over again, and with increasing numbers of gadgets (like scanners: http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/68997-i-need-new-scanner-suggestions.html).

1 person likes this.
  9. risingsun

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, thank you for being so environmentally friendly.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Getting the obligatory joke out of the way:

But seriously, you know less than a year down the line they'll have one twice as powerful and half the price, so why bother trying to be the first kid on the block with one?

11. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think with the dock it's pretty awesome. But I can't see what I'd use it for.

12. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would expect most people either sell or donate their phones or keep them around as 911-callboxes for their cars.

13. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I absolve my conscience by selling old gadgets on EBay. Apple gadgets in particular sometimes fetch about 90% of their original sales price a year later (as I found out by selling an iPod Touch after getting a second iPhone for our home).

You figure someone still uses it.

14. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish they would.:(

Discarded Cell Phones: A Cancer Risk Factor?: Cancer Center: UI Health Topics
    Mountain of discarded mobiles grows at 'frightening' rate - News, Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

15. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  16. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will buy it i have a new macbook and just surf with it big overkill for email so i will list it on ebay :) LOve the iPad :)

17. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Very funny MadTV video.

Tom

19. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wasnt over excited by it. And have no real desire to get one. I basically call it a suped up Itouch. Sure it looks cool, and seems to have a nice interface, but that is about it. I been reading some tech blogs about the Ipad, and basically they reports are wondering why there was no camera, multi tasking, Ichat, and so forth. Here is a link to PCworld's take on what is missing.

Apple's iPad Mistakes - PCWorld

20. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a great device. Yes, it's basically a super-sized iPod Touch, which is exactly what many people want: something with the simplicity if an iPod Touch/iPhone that's small, light, fast, but has a screen large enough to really get things done.

The iPhone has an excellent browser, but the screen's SMALL. I'll use it when I'm really bored, or when I have to look something up, but I wouldn't use it for my daily web browsing: too small. The iPhone's calendar is great to have in my pocket, but you can't even see a full day's activities at once, much less a weekly or monthly overview at any level of detail. It's convenient to have lots of photos on my iPhone, but they're not even as large as drugstore snapshot prints.

On the other hand, taking my 17" laptop somewhere is a major commitment in terms of size and form factor. Same for using it: they're really not comfortable on your lap, and don't work many places like on trains or planes.

The iPad bridges the gap nicely: simple and fast, yet photos of reasonable size, movies/tv shows at a very nice size, a nice sized calendar, etc, etc, etc. Plus when I put Keynote on it, for only $10, it'll be a killer presentation machine, whether hooked up to a projector, or shown across a table to a couple of people.

And wait until Papers comes out for it! It'll be a huge hit in academia.

And also just a plain, technophobe's computer. I think about my parents, for example: put it in a cradle in the living room, and it's basically a photo frame. Pick it up, take it to the den and read the paper and browse the web. Plop it in a cradle with keyboard in the kitchen and it handles all of their email. It's ultra-simple, with no CDs to install, no visible OS to mess up (and my father HAS managed to mess things up, even on a Mac), apps install "over the air" with no serial numbers to remember, etc, etc.

SOme might say, "They could use a netbook". Problem is, they're cheaply made, cramped, and the keyboard forces an awkward form factor on you if you simply want to sit in the den and read the paper, etc.

1 person likes this.