1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple Rumor

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, May 5, 2007.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

http://applerecon.com/2007/01/24/mac-book-mini/

3.5 pounds
    1200 x 800 backlit LED screen
    Standard I/O

All I can say is if the glare screens and miserable keyboards of current iBooks are not adopted, my wife is getting one (my time tested way to buy new toys without grief).

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is going to be an expensive Apple year. This laptop, the iPhone and AppleTV.

I can rationalize it by thinking of how much my Apple investment paid off. Bought at 33 and its 100 at the moment. Buying more soon..

Cheers!

3. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 5 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]436236[/snapback]</div>
    I have that Apple TV. Nice. I will have the iPhone. And maybe the new laptop.

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 5 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]436236[/snapback]</div>
    More contributions to global warming. Do you really need it? It won't go on for much longer. Maybe 10 years...?

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    don't forget the LED screens on the new Macbooks in the fall...

6. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ May 6 2007, 05:08 AM) [snapback]436281[/snapback]</div>
    Global Warming? We're talking about a possible new Apple computer. You must have posted in the wrong thread.

Yes I'd like to see it too. Seems like it would make a great travel computer.

Rick
    #4 2006

7. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bet computers have saved in emissions more than they produce due to telecommuting. Soon in my field we'll be able to work from anywhere just like radiologists currently do.

8. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ May 8 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]437409[/snapback]</div>
    A good point. But I was thinking of the many trivial uses. Almost all gadgets from computers down are built of plastic, which equals fossil fuel and carbon emissions in the manufacture. And that's apart from all the copper and other metals used in the construction.

In democracies like ours I can't believe that this addiction to manufactured goods and useless plastic packaging (e.g of foods) will ever be controlled or reduced but at least we should be aware of the facts in the hope that attitudes will eventually change.

There's an old Chinese curse which runs something like, "May you live in interesting times."

I fancy the next 50 or so years are going to be really interesting.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, most computers don't have too much plastic. Instead, the case is usually aluminum, with a decorative plastic panel put on the front (complete waste, if you ask me). the internal components are made of silicon and metals, with only a little plastic covering the wires...

With most other gadgets, you often have a choice between a plastic one and a metal one. For example, some iPods are made of an aluminum shell instead of a plastic one. Likewise, there are metallic cell phones out there as well as the plastic ones.

I agree with you on the useless plastic packaging... we tend to go overboard when there are much better ways that can be used.

However, it's also important to realize that plastics are important and can be a good thing. Take, for example, hospitals... they use a TON of plastics, and it helps with all sorts of things that simply wouldn't be possible (at least, not on this scale) with out them.

10. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder percentage-wise how do plastics and electronics manufacture compares to oil as a fossil fuel in terms of climate change and pollution. I would think fossil fuel burning is worse by far.

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well lets say you decide to buy an iPod and download all your music going forward...

You are now NOT driving to the music store and NOT buying MANY plastic CD's, in plastic jewel cases, wrapped in plastic.

My only concern with laptop proliferation, is that they don't seem to last very long. 2-3 years and it's time for a new one. The constant turnover of computers is very wasteful and is an example of "Planned Obsolesence". Very profitable for both software and hardware sellers, but rather wasteful.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I'll join in the off-topic (*cough *cough)

My family shops at Costco a lot, mostly for fresh produce oddly enough, which is vastly superior to supermarket offerings, and cheaper to boot. But MAN are they wasteful in their packaging practices.

I think I'll shoot off an email to a suit.