1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple seeds and EBHs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChapmanF, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was told more than once as a kid that my name connects me to John Chapman, the fellow who established so many apple nurseries in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

I haven't been doing much to live up to that example myself, but last weekend FireEngineer (who said he was just passing through) pulled up next to my driveway, popped in the engine-block heater that I had bought last spring and never got around to installing, and was off in the direction of Chicago. On further inquiry it seemed that "just passing through" meant "on the way home from installing another EBH in Virginia." :O

Actually, he popped in an EBH that he had already prepared with extra protective split loom, and took along the one I had bought, which will be enhanced the same way before going in for somebody else.

What can I say? Thanks!

-Chap

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That Wayne. He's the man to know when you need an EBH.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Being from a place where cars -ALWAYS- have block heaters I still don't understand why we are calling them "Electric" block heaters. Is there some other kind? I'VE never seen any other kind, though I -HAVE- seen fires lit under heavy equipment to start it on very cold mornings. ;)

Anyway, they are referred to as "block heaters" here. The only variation is some go in as "frost plugs" (immersion block heaters).
    Some bolt on the oil pan or block, as in the Prius application.
    Some bolt externally on the engine, as in the Mazda rotary engine application.
    Some go in-line with the interior heater hose and pump coolant on their own.
    They are all electric, and they are all referred to as "block heaters".
    :)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, if I google ebh block heater the results suggest that most people use ebh to stand for engine block heater.

I guess one could wonder about that too (what other block would you be heating?) but maybe it does help someone who hasn't seen one before grok the concept.

-Chap

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad I could stop by and help. Hope you get some good use from the EBH. And my wife loved the bread.

Wayne