1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apple to Start Selling New Macintosh Operating System

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Apr 13, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Apple to Start Selling New Macintosh Operating SystemBy JOHN MARKOFF
    Published: April 13, 2005

PALO ALTO, Calif., April 12 - Apple Computer said on Tuesday that it would begin selling the fifth version of its Macintosh OS X operating system later this month.

The program, which is named Macintosh OS X 10.4 Tiger and will sell for $129, has a variety of new features and some new internal technologies, as well as improved compatibility with Microsoft's Windows.

Steven P. Jobs, the company's chief executive, has at earlier events given brief demonstrations of some of the new features. On Tuesday, the company described the software's new capabilities, including a file search feature called Spotlight; four-way videoconferencing and 10-way audio conferences; and a system called Dashboard that will display on the screen small functions like calculators, currency converters and airline flight schedule trackers.

Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., plans to make the Tiger software available at retail stores on Friday, April 29. The company first announced Tiger last June, and said Tuesday that it had met its self-imposed deadline of making the software commercially available in the first half of 2005.

The new software is expected to have an immediate impact on Apple's revenue, according to Wall Street analysts.

"I think Tiger is going to be a far more important upgrade than previous versions," said Charles Wolf, a financial analyst with Needham & Company in New York, who holds shares of Apple. He estimated that there were about 20 million Macintosh computer users and that as many as 2 million to 3 million might be expected to upgrade their operating systems to Tiger within the next two quarters.

That would generate more than $200 million in revenue for Apple and would easily cover the software's development costs, he said.

Tiger adds pressure on Microsoft, which is developing a new version of its Windows operating system called Longhorn. The Microsoft software is reported to have many of the same features as Tiger, but will not be available until next year.

Apple executives said on Tuesday that they believed the new program gave them a significant technical lead on Microsoft, the world's dominant software publisher.

"This has created even more distance between us and Microsoft," said Philip W. Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for worldwide product marketing. "We're becoming a tiny dim red light in their headlights."

David Caulton, group product manager in for Microsoft's Windows client division, said "Apple is obviously doing interesting stuff within a closed solution." By contrast, Microsoft, he said, prefers "to take on the problem of platform solutions with a lot of different partners."

Both Apple and Microsoft have focused on adding file retrieval and graphics technologies to their operating systems. Analysts have said that this is partly a response to the growth of Internet search, which has transformed the way computer users hunt for information.

Apple's new Spotlight retrieval feature automatically indexes information without regard to whether the information is in a word-processing document, spreadsheet, digital image or any other file type. Microsoft has a similar feature available with its MSN service and has said it plans to integrate it into Longhorn.

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been waiting for this new release for a while. Now I will order my new iMac G5. I'm skipping the G4 completly. My current computer is a 400 Mhz original slot-loading iMac. The speed difference should be quite noticable.

3. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash\";p=\"81034)</div>
    You might want to wait a bit. There are indications that the iMac is about due for a speed bump.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahhh waiting for hardware upgrades is a never ending cycle. speed bumps happen on a regular basis and waiting for the next one almost never is worth it unless its a major hardware overhaul

5. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dashboard looks sweet. Very practical.

6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"81103)</div>
    True, but if you are sitting at the end of the cycle, it might be worth waiting a few weeks.

At least when I got my 700 Mhz iBook, the 800 Mhz came out in about a week. The Apple Store had me bring in the receipt and on paper they took it back at the old price and sold it back at a reduced price.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so are you saying that the G6 is on the horizon? and more importantly, will it be in a laptop?

8. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"81389)</div>
    No. Indications are that soon after Tiger is released the iMac will be speed bumped to top off at 2 Ghz. The standard memory will go to 512 MB and a 160 GB drive on the 17" and 250 GB on the 20". There should also be a speed bump on the G5 desktops.

Check out the ThinkSecret web site.

9. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ah thinksecret... the dissident mac employee website...

11. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Does that mean it will crash a lot :wink:

Just bought my first Mac (Mac Mini) and upgraded it to 1Gb, and added BT and airport myself. Its a nice system, but it does tend to "hang" witha spinning coloured disc a lot. The help is unusable due to having to wait almost 5 minutes for the hemp menu to populate. This was after a freash install on a reformated HD. If anyone has a solution to this I would like to know. When the help menu is loaded, clicking on a toopic takes another 2 minutes to get the info. Very frustrating.

The coloured spinning disk also exists for a few minutes after startup or login as well. The finders clock etc apears, but then the disc comes and after a few minutes the rest of the finder loads.

Otherwise, the system performs very well and much easier to use than the last time I looked at a Mac when my sister had an old mac with OS 7 (I think it was) about 6 years ago. I remember my excitment at seeing my first mac back in 1984, but it was way out of my price range at that time!

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2 million? Make that 1,999,999

I read up on Tiger on MacAddict and on the Apple website. Nothing struck me as so essential that I felt compelled to move up. Panther is doing just fine for me.

I've still got my G4 tower and flat screen and it's doing fine too. I did upgrade memory to 512 and harddrive to 250. As for speed, I'm Okay. Now once I really learn Final Cut and start burning DVDs, I might feel the need for speed.

I don't think we'll see a G5 laptop soon. I don't think there is an incentive there and there are heat and size issues. The G4 Powerbook line hasn't really changed that dramatically that I want to replace what I have with a new version of what I already have. I'll keep replacing the optical drives in my Powerbook as they go. Now that I know how it will be a breeze. I'll replace the harddrive with the new 100gig if that becomes necessary. A little more space couldn't hurt.

I just don't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses. Or the Gateses.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A Mac Mini is basically a beginner's model.

As for the spinning beachball at start up and log in....that's housekeeping. In the old system you used to have to manually rebuild the desktop occasionally for optimum performance. A lot of people never did. So now it's automatic and it happens every time you start up and log in. You can avoid this a few ways. One is to never shut down, just put it to sleep. Another is to set preferences to automatically log in to your account. Of course these leave you open to security issues. If you have no worries about anyone accessing your machine, then it's a solution. You can also set the machine to require your password to wake up from sleep.

BTW if you have any OS7 stuff around it may still work in Classic, providing your machine has Classic installed. I'm not sure if any of their current machines ship with Classic anymore. I know the computers for schools still have both systems installed.

You really shouldn't get the 'spinning beachball of death' a lot after log in. Could be not enough memory, or too much going on at once. I'm not really that familiar with the mini, except I do know it's the low end of the Mac line.

One thing you should do is either keep it on all night at least once a week, or download a program called MacJanitor (from http://www.versiontracker.com) to do the housekeeping and run it once a week. As long as you're downloading stuff from Versiontracker you might want to install CacheOutX to clean the caches. Also...you might try repairing permissions with the disk utility. Do that periodically as well. Maybe...once a month. That could be one of your issues.

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

15. DanP

DanP Member

None of the things you are experiencing are normal. Did the machine function better before you performed the hardware upgrades? I'm wondering whether this might have something to do with AirPort or some other network issue. I say this because I have had my Mac (G4 iMac) slow down in a way similar to what you're describing. My problem was network-related. The DSL connection from my house to the phone company was fine, but my ISP's link to the internet was down. My Mac seems to have basically put everything else on hold as it tried to establish communication to the rest of the world. Once I disabled AirPort, everything was fine again.

16. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Its dont it from about the 2nd day of ownership. I read about possible corruption of pref files etc and as I had been doing a lot of "whats this do" type of playing around, and as it had been the shops disply model for a week or so, I wiped it and reloaded OS X. It was ok for a few days, and then started again.

I then installed the BT/Airport and did the 1GB upgrade and reloaded again, but the spinning is still there.

I have manually kicked of the house keeping, and have left the system in sleep over night (but logged out first).

The system is usable, but the help system isnt. Maybe there are indexes that still need to be built????

My network gets its adress from a local DHCP server (d-link DSL router), but I am going to try assigning a static address tonight to see if that helps. My DSL line will be connected (T-com willing) tomorrow so at that point I will do a complete software update to 10.3.9 or what-ever.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oho! That may be the problem.

I'm running 10.3.6 now because when I upgraded to either 7 or 8 I got the same thing. So I completely reinstalled the OS and I went back to the one I had the least problems with...10.3.6.

So you might consider installing each update one at a time and see how each works...and at what point your systems exhibits the problem. Or you could try just the complete 10.3.6 and stopping there.

18. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz\";p=\"81095)</div>
    You might want to wait a bit. There are indications that the iMac is about due for a speed bump.[/b][/quote]

You were correct. I did wait. I have a 1.8 GHz iMac G5 with 1 gig of RAM on order as of Tuesday. I should get it in less than two weeks. I am really looking forward to the new computer. I will be running Tiger.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Read up on Tiger. There are issues.

You may need to reinstall and re-register some applications...like Macromedia's Dreamweaver if you use that.

There are also a bunch of patches that have come out for security or something.

I'm not running Tiger and don't plan to, but you might want to read up on what is going on.

20. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"87663)</div>
    Thanks for the heads up. I am getting a new computer that comes with Tiger installed, so I have to install all my programs anyway.

I have heard rumor that there is a patch, but it is not out yet. We may see one next week. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the new computer.