1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Apply Deposit to Downpayment?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SteveS, Oct 9, 2005.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can I do this? Is this a standard thing to do?

2. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. I was also concerned about this when I placed my name on the waiting list. $1000 shouldn't be taken lightly - this deposit will be directly takenoff the price of my Prius.

I've heard some dealers don't cash a check of yours until you actually purchase the vehicle - however, I've also been advised to never write a car dealership a check for deposit - always pay by credit card. This way, you have better proof that you actually paid the deposit in case the dealer is really shifty.

FYI - Not related to this particular thread, but I've found that http://www.carbuyingtips.com is a fantiastic website. The author give tips of pruchasing your new car. Although these tips do not really apply to the Prius at this time (becaus eof the huge demand) purchasing any other car from a dealer would make me sick without reading and adhearing to many of the tips on this website.

3. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks! I've seen that website and think it's pretty good. I gave them my deposit by Credit Card, rather than check - and they already ran the card (about 3 weeks after I put down the deposit).

Thanks for the answer, tho - I appreciate it. I had seen some posts about people being returned their deposits and I got concerned.