1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Appreciation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Canuck, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi folks,
    I drove my son-in-law's 2002 Prius in Chicago last Sept and was so impressed that when we returned to Vancouver Island and after doing some research via Toyota we placed our order 10 July 04 for a 2005 model. We have been given a pick-up date of early Oct :| :| ?
    Just yesterday found this web site and spent hours trying to catch up on all the great information made available by all of you who contribute to the forum discussions. While I have a lot more to digest I do have a very simple question ( initially :D ). I cannot return to the forum post where someone mentioned that they could not connect their MP3 player to the Prius car stereo system. My better half insists that she be able to play her MP3 mini-CD player on the entertainment centre. It is a Sony MZN510CKS and comes with a car connecting pack CPA-7 (a cassette to insert ). Has anyone used a similar system successfully?

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used the tape player and it works quite well. Not the best sound quality, but good enough for the cost, since the next option is getting a connector to plug the iPod directly into the radio, which will run you probably around $200.

3. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sony MP3 player

[font=Comic Sans MS:3bf14664ef] [/font:3bf14664ef] </span><span style=\'color:blue\'>
    Thanks for the swift comeback. Now she won't change her mind and cancel the Prius order. :p

4. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good. :mrgreen:

He's a link for a stereo plug-in system that lets you control the iPod through the stereo, and even the on-wheel controls.

http://www.ipod2car.com/

5. markhaney2004

markhaney2004 New Member

Actually,

ipod2Car does not work with the Prius. Currently, there is no solution to get your MP3 player (like an ipod or in your case a CD player) to play directly through the prius.

The only solutions are:

1. FM modulator (purchase at radio shack) - problem here is low quality and you lose the signal often when driving in a city

2. Tape Adapter (you'll need the upgraded stereo with a tape deck for this - the standard stereo only has CD) - however, this too is low quality compared to direct input.

I'm waiting on coastal dave now to release an "aux audio input" but it has been 6 months and it is still on the "coming soon" list. I'm starting to get very frustrated burning CDs again..... oy

Good luck!

6. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

the nice thing about burning cd's is that they cost 10 cents each and so you are not risking your $400 ipod in the car...

that said, i wish the built in cd changer would play mp3 cd's. i put one of those in my avanti, and now i just carry 6 readily reproducible mp3 cd's and i have all the music i want... a couple of hundred songs on each cd.

7. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you know the ipod2car doesn't work with the Prius? And what about the Dension system?

Dension iPod System

Edit: Sorry about that link being too long.

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MP3 cassette adapter

It seems that the option packages in Canada are named differently than they are in the US. The one we ordered is a "B" Package which includes a Premium JBL Audio, AM/FM Cassette, In-Dash 6-Disc CD Autochanger, 9 Speaker. Wouldn't the Sony MP3 player cassette adapter just plug into the cassette dock? or does "cassette" in the package description mean something other than a tape player? For you less aged folks buying a Prius is probably just another computer on wheels whereas with us it's akin to purchasing a space machine. My first car was a model T.... it was second or third hand tho' in the early 50's. Now I wonder if I can substitute the garage door opener for a beam-me-up button or is that the "B" on the gear shift thingme? :)

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

No fears, Canuck, cassette in the package does mean tape player, which means the mp3 adapter will work with no problems in your space machine. ;) And if that B does stand for Beam Me Up, I wish I would've known that, I'd be using it on those long road trips to make them a bit shorter! :)

-m.

10. Marg

Marg New Member

Canuck,

You have a cassette? We have a Canadian package A and I don't recall seeing a cassette deck in there.

I'll take a closer look the next time I'm in the car. Maybe I'm just unobservant.

11. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    FREE iPOD Interface for Prius....

Dension told me in email that it doesn't work with the Prius yet but that they were working on a fix iI beleive by June. I asked to be on their list to be contacted when it is available and I haven't heard yet.

Ipod2car seems to have a similar problem. They lack a Prius to test with. So... if anyone can drive their #9 '04 into Long Island for "4 or 5 hours" of testing after next week you can get a free converter and maybe more.

I may do it myself but it is 200 miles away from me. If anyone is instered in volunteering their baby for the cause contact me at "jvail at newts dot org" and I can hook you up with the guy in charge. If you were interested but didn't want the converter I will pay you $100 for it... (they retail about $200).

jv

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Aaron, you listening?

13. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thanks for pointing out that little issue. It's kind of odd that they didn't point it out clearly online, but oh well.

14. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i'm on long island (thanks danny) what is involved?

actually, as i think about it, i might not be helpful. i use a nomad jukebox zen, not an ipod (nothing agains the ipod, the nomad was just a whole lot less money, and i've owned jukeboxes before). while this hookup is cool, it would not especially help me, unless they want to throw in an ipod too (which doesn't really seem likely).

coastal dave's input will hopefully be more universal, though probably fewer features. i would just like to be able to plug into the headphone jack and get the sound directly into the stereo instead of via an fm transmitter or cassette adapter.

15. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Marg,
    regarding the Canadian 2005 model:
    To my knowledge and reading the 2004 brochure ( the 2005 is not out yet) they only offered the "B" package option and my post was copied directly from the brochure.