1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Approaching 100,000 Miles...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dan-Wolfe, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ... and looking for the collective advice of the group.

Of course, the extended warranty runs out at 100k, and I would like to be able to ask the mechanic to look for specific things that Gen II Prius owners have had fail on them. That way, if there's anything ABOUT to break, I may be able to convince the dealership to replace it under warranty before it becomes a problem.

So far, here's what's already been done:

-- Replace fuel bladder (contaminated gas, confirmed by the Navy. long story)
    -- Replace A/C blower motor
    -- Replace driver's side unlock sensor and button
    -- Replace catalytic converter (Threw a "check engine" light, and they replaced it straight away)
    -- Replace A/C blower motor (again)

(The blower motor has been the most puzzling, having failed on schedule about every two years. The damn fan just stuck and wouldn't turn without a sharp rap on the underside of the dash, or opening the outside air vent while travelling over 50mph. Weird.)

What should I look for before the warranty runs out?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

Dan

2. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    interesting thread. i'm making a decision to buy the premium warranty.

many here, including all the gurus say that it's not necesssary. i'll keep an eye on this thread.

3. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's worked out well for me, especially in light of the discounted price I got through PriusChat. I think I at LEAST broke even in the deal and probably saved a bit.

I put a lot of miles on my Prius pretty fast, for a regular guy. Yeah, it's an added expense, but there's no stress in dealing with unanticipated repairs.

I should also note that the bladder replacement was paid for by the gas station who sold me the contaminated gas. That was NOT a warranty claim.

Dan

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can convince a dealer to replace under warranty something that isn't broken we'd love to hear about it.

I would take a close look at the
    - inverter coolant pump
    - center console fabric
    - both Sun visors
    - MFD, if your car was built before May 2005
    - 12V battery
    Of course some of these things may not be covered by either warranty.

Extended warranties are never worth it, if by "worth" you mean "likely to recover their cost in covered repairs". Deciding whether $1000 or more is worthwhile for "peace of mind" is of course up to the induhvidual :_>

5. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should further add that I replaced the 12v battery myself a few months back.

Never thought of the inverter coolant pump. How would one judge the state of health of the inverter coolant pump?

I believe that I paid less than $1000 for the warranty, and I suspect that the value of the services under the warranty have at least equaled the cost. I DO believe that I am unusual in this respect. However, others may weigh in on their experience as well.

I guess what I am looking for here is something that may be "broken" that could be identified before total failure, not unlike my sticking A/C blower motor. No, it worked 90% of the time, but that 10% was when I needed it the most.

That sort of thing.

Thanks for the list!

6. WolfB

WolfB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 140,000 I did the following:
    1. Inverter coolant pump ($350 installed)
    2. Changed transmission fluid
    3. Changed engine coolant
    4. Changed brake fluid
    5. Replaced serpentine belt