1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Approaching 100k: Service, dual HID failure, and other questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ANfry, Feb 28, 2018.

1. ANfry

ANfry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3 questions and did not want to start multiple threads...Let me know if I am better off posting these questions elsewhere.

Anyway, I have a 2006 Prius approaching 100k miles on it. #1: Seeing as the car is 12 years old, what services should I have performed at the 100k mark outside of the standard? Is the dealer the best option for this?

I have also had both of my HID bulbs go out. One was replaced by the dealer right after (used) purchase, as the bulb went out only a few days after driving it off the lot. So one was original, the other was a recent replacement. The oldest one crapped out, and a few days after, the newest one started flickering and now is fully out. They both power on momentarily. #2 Is this just a coincidence or have I potentially damaged some other electrical component?

I had the HV battery fail summer 2016. I got a reduced price after seeking a goodwill warranty from Toyota, this was still a large financial burden, and I would like to avoid this for at least the next few years. #3 Are there steps I can take to ensure the battery lasts?
    Surely heat can't be good for the battery and I am expecting another brutally hot summer here in the south so I try to park in the shade and use sun reflectors, but there's little one can do when its 103 degrees...

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

#1 ANfry, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Many people will answer this with more details than what I can type
    2. Just buy 2 new bulbs, HID are known to be problematic
    3. Don't worry about the NEW BATTERY. It'll last 8-10 years without you doing anything

Raytheeagle and ANfry like this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the transaxle has never been drained and filled, you may consider it if you plan to keep the car for several years. Odds are it never has, since Toyota considers the fluid to be permanent.

You might want to check yourself that there is no significant amount of coolant weepage around the water pump -- white crusty deposits, etc. A tiny bit is probably O.K. The water pump has been a bit problematic on these models.

Other than that, save for the 120K service, which is the big one.