1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aptera Spotted in the Wild

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hill, Apr 5, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok ok ok,
    So it wasn't THAT wild ... just local streets surrounding the San Diego, Science / Auto Museum(s). It was a scheduled event. Yesterday (4-4-09) the company previewed the 3 wheel'ed Freeway capable, all electric to the public, inside & outside of the auto museum. After closing, 800 of the 4,000+ reservation holders got to hobnob with the Aptera Higher ups. There were give aways, silent auctions, test drives, hors d'oeures & drinks etc (kind of like a mini Prius Connection Detroit for 1 day). Being something like 6'-4" or 6'-5" I had to see if I could fit, much less be comfortable. These are not production models, as the final version's wheelbase will be 6" narrower. You might notice that one of the earlier prototypes driving around didn't even have rear side windows. As for the rear hatch, it opens sideways, from right to left, as you face forward, from the rear of the car. Here's a few more shots I took yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the answer is (drum roll . . . . ) yes, I fit!
    They begin delivery in 6 months (Good Luck Aptera!)

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have seen one driving around near Palomar Airport Rd. during the week. This was a few months ago though. I am torn on whether or not to place my order for one though. Wish I wasnt working yesterday or else I would've made my way down to that...

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, my only spotting was on Palomar Airport as well heading east at Melrose late last year. About half way between their old and new building.

I drove by their new building a month or so ago and cruised around the back - they had the loading dock door open and an Aptera getting some sun.

*HUGE* turn out! Wish I had gone down there to check it out. With 4000+ people there, I'm sure that Aptera was very pleased with the amount of interest shown in the vehicle.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was gonna say...if you don't fit, buy it anyway and let me know. But, if it came to that, you could always add a 'Dan Gurney' bulge on the roof. :) The hatch reminds of an E Type.
    It's a beautiful car, and a wonderful concept - I hope Aptera does very well.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where have I seen that tall bugger in the red shirt?
    Car looks great, will they come to Australia, I dare say no.

6. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the first model run is for CA only.

Strange thing is that it is classified as a motorcycle but has to meet the NHTSA requirements for a passenger vehicle. Hopefully I get to see more driving around the area.