1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aptera: Vaporware?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hill, Dec 2, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Being in the low 400's on the wait list ... this is a bummer:

More on the trouble at Aptera, cash may be running out — Autoblog Green

I'm hoping it's just what Tesla went through a couple years ago, when they needed to bring in better management and supplant the concept people. we'll see ... the way the wait list is shrinking, I may be first in line (for nothing) in no time at all ... so that may be a good thing eventually ... someday. Maybe I can buy the concepte if they fold. It'd sure be a shame, as it's a dang nice 2 seat commuter with way crazy low drag coefficiency.

:confused:

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's such a shame. I see it more as production problems than vapourware, but I'm not close enough to the true story to know what's really going on. The Aptera is a brilliant design that fully deserves to be successful. If only designers could retain control of their creations, and not be forced to give it up in exchange for development cash. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm,,

They are not going to sell this car to the Joe-SixPack. So, why are they trying to engineer in Joe-SixPack features before they get any income from sales? Does not make sense to me. They need to get cars on the road to be taken seriously. That is the imperitive.

I kinda had a feeling something was wrong when I saw the change from the simple, reconfigurable three-screen dashboard to something more like a Dodge Neon. They are designing this car to be cheap in 500,000 production, before it has even booked 10,000 potential buyers.

People want the technology of the body shape. The early adopters will live with COTS operation displays and controls. It does not have to be santized to Detroit level of slap-togetherness ....