1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are 1/2 of original Rav4EVs still on the Road?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by cycledrum, Apr 10, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, 1/2 of the original Rav4EV's are still on the road today. Correct me if wrong. I thought they are all still running on the original batteries because there are no replacement batteries for them. If so, can someone comment on the usability of their Rav4EV and perhaps the age, #miles on battery, original and current range.

Would be nice to know how EV's hold up over time, basically.

TIA

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would like to know also.

3. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It just so happens that I was talking to a RAV4EV owner at a local car show last week. He has 80,000 miles on his, and the battery lasted 8 years before experiencing a steep drop in capacity. He got a refurbished replacement pack--and that almost certainly supports the notion that there are no more cells, and that packs are made from old ones by testing each cell and choosing the good ones.

You can also see some of the owners by searching on "RAV4EV owners".

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As in it dropped dramatically at the 8th year or as in it slowly decreased in capacity until it was no longer useable (i.e. a feasible distance) by the 8th year?