1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are 2010 Prius models Louder and Why ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wwbarr, Jul 20, 2009.

1. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As 2007 Prius owners for over 2-1/2 years, my wife and I just took delivery of a 2010 Prius V + AT this afternoon.

It was our impression that the 2010 models run noticeably louder ?

Yesterday, we test drove a 2010 Prius IV and did notice the higher noise level on the freeway. Did not take think about it much today on the dealer lot but the 2010 Prius V we did buy was not silent as we are used to with the 2007.

Also wondering if California passed hybrid regulations to make them louder to avoid the hazards of being too silent ?

Much thanks for any insights or recommendations.

Bill

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Gen III package V is much quieter than my Gen II off the highway, but the Bridgestone Turanza EL 400-02 OEM tires make the Prius noticibly louder on the highway.

My 06 Gen II was the same until I replaced the OEM Integrity tires with MUCH quieter Goodyear Asurance ComforTred's. I'm already looking around for tires to replace my Gen III OEM's with something quieter on the highway.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

We skipped from an 2003 Prius to the 2010 and noticed:

• tires - at highway speed, more tire noise compared to our after-market tires
    • other vehicles - again at highway speeds, we often hear other vehicle tires
    • inverter 'sketer - I sometimes hear the faint, high-pitched whine at low speeds
    • brake pump (?) - opening the door, I can hear a faint pump start under the hood
    • window air noise - in some cases, we just roll-up the windows and use the fan and outside air
    Bob Wilson

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    he bob

- NHW11 52,1
    - ZVW30 52,9
    up to today your really close in mpg thats what i notice

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm a first-time Prius owner (a V). And COMPLETELY agree with your assessment. If it wasn't for the tire noise this vehicle would be so quiet on the road... I'd have to believe the 15" models are much quieter re tire noise. Would be very interesting to run a comparative test with a db meter.
    I believe the tire noise is the result of:
    1. Of course the low profile wider 17" tires, just a matter of fact.
    2. The hatchback style allows sounds generated from behind the rear seat to reverberate into the passenger cabin.
    3. Don't believe that Toyota went top-notch with sound insulation in the side panels around the wheels.
    4. Don't believe that Toyota engineered suspension components for sound isolation.

We know it's not a Lexus, but... The pavement condition has a HUGE impact on noise. The coarser the road the louder the noise. And there is tire scrub noise when turning.
    Funny - I recall reading quite a few test drive articles months ago; some mentioning that the Gen3 is quieter than the 2, and others the opposite.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Speaking of tires for the V (17" wheels), what are some of the quieter/better aftermarket tires? The Bridgestone and Michellin OEMs seem to get bad reviews.

Bob, what aftermarket tires do you have on your 2003?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The tires on my 2010 are quieter than the HydroEdges on my 2004, both running at 44/42. The sound was noticeable on cement at 70 MPH, but mostly drown out by the radio.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Both the Gen II and Gen III Prius are inherently quiet, but lack the heavy sound proofing of luxury cars. This means on good roads with good tires, you hear little noise. On the other hand, if there is noise you will hear it. Grooved roads, noisy tires, and loud external noises are much more noticeable than they are with heavily sound proofed cars. The lack of a lot of engine noise with the Prius makes road noise even more noticeable.

Tom

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you're talking purely about road noise as perceived from the inside of the Prius, then I'm going off topic.

At Hybridfest, a few of us were gathered in the parking lot. We were shuffling Prii. A 2010 stealthed by and Hobbit and I looked at each other. He said exactly what I was thinking: "dang the inverter on that thing is loud." I have witnessed the stealthing of hundreds of GenII and this GenIII was louder than any of them.

10. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your referring to exhaust noise that is true on the highway or heavy acceleration. The Gen III Prius has a valve in the muffler and at higher engine RPM's it opens and allows a more direct path for the exhaust to exit to reduce back pressure. This of course means less muffling of noise.

Wayne

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Overall, I'd say the Gen3 is a quieter ride than the Gen2. There is one external exception to this and one perceived internal exception:

Absolutely the case. It is noticeable only at low speeds, of course, and usually is noticeable only to external observers, unless the windows are down and the radio off.

I'll agree entirely with Tom on this one, also. I believe the engine noise is considerably less noticeable on the Gen3. The real "problem" is the road noise from the tires, and I believe it is the case mainly because you hear practically nothing from the ICE, even at high speed. Every change in surface is noticeable just by the change in tire noise.

12. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK then, knowing that the tires are responsible for some portion of the high-speed road noise, can anyone recommend aftermarket tires that are good for both mpg and noise reduction? Since this is our first Prius I really have no basis to compare noise. Ours has the Yokohama brand and we have noticed the difference that road surface makes in nose levels. I would think they'd laugh me out of the tire store if I went in asking for a set of extra quiet tires, or is this a common request?

13. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you look at surveys of tires at tirerack, noise level is one of the rating categories. You can compare the Yokahamas to other available tires.

1 person likes this.
  14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Just a comment on wheel-well noise insulation on Gen II Prius. There is none. If another car throws up a stone at my flush wheel well covers on the highway - I can hear the oil-canning sound just fine. And that is not that loud. And I am even running noiser Michelin Hydroedge tires.

15. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would hope the tires are not "loud" compared to my current ride... M35 sport (Infiniti) or to other similar cars... on the highway

16. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The explanations about the road noise make a lot of sense, much thanks ! As well, I haven't inflated the Gen III tires past their 32 psi from the dealer yet, our Gen II tire's are usually at 42/40 psi.

:mod: UPDATE: I feel pretty stupid, I just realized, the likely cause for the higher noise level during idle was due to the engine charging the hybrid battery a lot longer than we are used to observing (and experiencing first hand from outside of the vehicle).

Though we are used to driving Gen II Prius for almost 3 years, we are NOT accustom to simply standing around the car for any length of time when the hybrid battery is charging from a very low charge level...

17. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I traded up from a 2008 to a 2010 package V with Navigation. My new Prius came with a sound shield option. I thought that was like the undercoating of 40 years ago but this new car has a flexible shell attached under the entire car ... the material seems similar to the soft liners in the wheel wells. Among the first comments we made about the car was how much QUIETER it is compared to the gen II.

The tech specs on the gen III list the front windshield as being "Laminated (Sound Insulated)" glass.

We tried the gen III with the 15" and the 17" tires ... the 17's were quieter and rode much better ... especially compared to the crappy Goodyears on our 2008. I run 46 psi in the front and 44 psi in the rear tires and ... to be expected with the wide tires ... they are noisy ... but ONLY on some of the cement pavement here in Dallas. On some of the asphalt roads ... 80MPH feels and sounds the same as 40MPH.

On good pavement, the 2010 is as smooth as glass at 80MPH ... and VERY quiet.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall seeing the acoustic windshield mentioned anywhere in the brochure or the reading material. If so, we need to confirm this because it makes a difference when it comes to windshield replacement (acoustic ones have a different part number and are more expensive)

19. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

20. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV