1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Adroid 2.1 Smartphones 100% compatible with Gen III 2010 Prius with Nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by web1b, May 18, 2010.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

I'm going to look at some Adroid 2.1 phones like Incredible and Hero or wait for the Evo.
    Do all aspects of the bluetooth function perfectly (handsfree and portable music player) work on existing Adroid 2.1 phones?
    Does bluetooth pairing stay paired between car and phone permanently or do you have to periodically delete and re-pair the phones to connect?
    Is wireless address book transfer reliable or do you still have to use the laptop hack to transfer contacts?
    Can you use the phones to play mp3s using the USB mode (like a thumb drive)?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    android is developed by google which means you u need a gmail (google mail) account to activate the device. you can import your contacts to the gmail account on your home computer by any number of methods and it automatically syncs up with your phone wirelessly. as far as BT compatibility, i would think there would be minimal issues.

once upon a time, the technology; which is supposed to be platform free, was hampered by cell providers due to its ability to do things that the provider did not want to do. internet access without a data plan, transferring protected files, etc. but those days are, for the most part, long gone.

3. Roblaw

Roblaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use the Motorola Droid, and it works very well with the hands free. Paired it once and it has stayed paired with no issues.

I don't use it as a music player, so I cannot tell you how that works, but the phone works really well.

Rob.

4. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It should have no problems. I have the Moto Droid and its paired both for Phone and Music Streaming.

5. jenurse49

jenurse49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just purchased a Prius V. I love it. I also have the Droid which I paired with no problems but for the life of me I can not get the address book to transfer. Any suggestions?

6. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just updated my Sprint HTC Hero to Android 2.1 (previously Android 1.5) - It works fine with my Gen III NAV unit. A bit of a delay, still, in the caller being able to hear you after you answer (2-3 sec.), but that's a NAV issue, not Android, and 2.1 solved the contact transfer issue I had with the Hero. I have noticed that it sometimes says "Check your phone" right at the beginning of placing a call (like there's a Bluetooth problem), but the call connects anyway in half a second, and it's fine. Music player thru Bluetooth works as well - although no Artist/title info displayed using the Hero.
    It stays "paired" until you purposely "remove" (delete) the phone in the radio/NAV unit. It connects automatically whenever they are in range and both turned on (unless your phone is connected to something else, like a headset or headphones)
    I think this is somewhat phone dependent, but as mentioned above, 2.1 solved this for the Sprint Hero. Now it transfers perfectly (although you may want to reorganize/delete contacts in your phone before transferring...)
    Haven't tried this, but I would expect that you can - you can "mount" the SD card on the Hero so it's visible to the USB connection. I will try and re-post.

7. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With the Droid the SD card needs to be setup for mounting then the USB connects up. Bluetooth streaming is flawless except no metadata displays on the Nav. Steering Wheel controls work to control in both USB and Bluetooth Stream modes. USB UI is clunky and disabled when car is in motion making it useless.

8. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Confirmed same with the Sprint HTC Hero.

9. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Samsung Moment (2.1) works great with BT - pairs automatically and effortlessly - the contacts and gmail account is a hassle but thats how google wants to play the game ... Android is awesome - its getting mucho addictive :)

10. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The biggest annoyance with the Moto Droid is that the phone starts playing music immediately upon making the Bluetooth connection, every time. I wish I could make it stop, but I cannot find any way to stop it.

11. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the HTC Incredible after having the Moto Droid for a short bit. The Moto synced contacts much easier although when it did so it was still 2.0.1. I got the 2.1 update just before returning it for the Incredible. But being it was already uploaded into the contacts I'm not sure if it affected it or not. As for the HTC, it doesn't seem to like transferring the contacts properly. It does transfer although it somehow and for some reason randomly duplicates some of my contacts on the pone itself as well as the list in the car. Really weird. Not just doubles the names, but in some instances it will have 6+ of the same contact. Hopefully an update will take care of it with the phone. We'll see. As for it working with the car just for talking, it's great. Connects very quickly and everything else works great.

12. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paired my wife's Evo and my Evo last night to my Gen II with no problems. I did not need to transfer contacts so I can't comment on that. The only problem I've noticed was it did not ring in the car until between the 2nd and 3rd ring on the phone calling in. On the "telephone screen" it showed the remaining battery charge on the Evo while on phone calls. Good because of the relatively short battery life of the Evo compared to my old non-smartphone.

13. web1b

web1b Active Member

When using USB, if you take the phone out to park and then return later and reconnect it, does it resume playing from exactly where you were when you last used it or does it restart the track from the beginning?