1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are aftermarket steel hoods ok?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by k9scooter, Dec 21, 2009.

1. k9scooter

k9scooter New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bent my hood in a minor fender bender and I don't want to involve my insurance company and I found aftermarket steel hoods for cheap. I was just wondering if anybody has purchased and installed a steel hood and how it worked out for them. If you could relate anything about a steel hood, I'd be very interested to read it. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An aftermarket steel hood could weigh three to four times what the OEM hood weighed.

I was in a smashup with my 2005 Prius this past summer, and took it to a less-than-wonderful body shop. They put aftermarket sheet metal on (in violation of the insurance estimate).

The first time I lifted the hood, I could tell something was wrong. It was much, much heavier than the original, and did not line up correctly. The gap line between hood and fenders was varied widely in side.

I'd look for an OEM hood if I were you.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were a person who have to replace the hood, I'll try to get a used OEM hood for cheap.
    I'm doubtful that the aftermarket steel hood was certified by a crash test. I don't want the hood come into the cabin on a heavy accident from front.

Ken@Japan

5. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I forgot to mention above that I insisted that the body shop use an OEM hood. They did replace the heavy aftermarket one with an OEM hood, and I could tell the difference immediately--both by looking and by lifting it open.

I never thought of the safety issue, but Ken is exactly right. A hood of the proper weight will behave in a predictable manner in a crash. An aftermarket hood will not.

6. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are aftermarket aluminum as well as steel hoods. When I rebuilt my car, I opted for the steel one. It fits fine, and the weight of the hood is not excessive. Of course, is the insurance company was paying for it, I would get the real deal.