1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are buyers of the 2008 getting the Eco-nomic savings? (update)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jonjonbear, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all.
    We were at our dealer and saw two lower package 2008 Prii and both of them had a $600.00 "Eco-nomic savings" reflected on the sticker. (Austin Texas, GST region) It didn't click until we got home and we called and asked our salesman and he said "I think yours will have about a $1750.00 discount" (Touring, package 6)
    I think I read somewhere on the site here that the discount doesn't apply to the Touring, and I haven't seen the few that have gotten their '08's mention if they did or not..Specially interested in the GST region as I guess things are different. I did email Gulf States Toyota and the woman cut and pasted the info from the main Toyota page and said she thought that it did apply..Funny too I had first emailed them and asked why they didn't have the '08's and she said "Until we have a firm date of delivery we won't update the site"
    The day I saw the two new ones here in Austin, I emailed her and she was not aware they had come in? :blink:
    You would think since they had to come through there, they would. She did then update the site..

Anyway mine should be here any day, but hoping the salesman is right (he has already been wrong once, when we ordered the car I asked him if the factory leather was liquicell and he said yes. Otherwise I would have ordered a package 5 with the upgrade as I have learned here the factory leather doesn't have it)

Thanks!
    John

2. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems when I go and price one out on Toyota.com I don't seem to get the ECO savings like last year when they ran the promo ... not sure if that means they're not doing so again? Maybe wait until winter (again)? I know last winter-ish time a loaded Touring was $2000 off MSRP ... but then again I think it was basically just saving you the time haggling for the most part b/c there was little to no movement from that price. Someone who knows better can help me out here.

3. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Sep 26 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]518009[/snapback]</div>
    Actually it does show a little window over the picture of the Prius on the Toyota site but it says "up to 2000 off" but when you build it, it doesn't show what package gets what or which model. I did see it on the two low package cars, was right there on the sticker but wondering if the higher package cars and Touring get it.
    I guess I will find out when mine comes in! :p

John

4. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Sep 26 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]518018[/snapback]</div>
    Well we went down yesterday to do the paperwork on ours so we have a delivery date before Oct 1st to get the tax savings. Our car is somewhere between port and the dealership so we will get it Monday..When we sat down I asked the salesman where the discount came in to play as the pricing he gave us was what was on the site prior to the discount. He said "it is already in the price" and I argued that there is no way it could be. So we got on his little golf cart and drove to the back to look at a window sticker of another car so he could prove it. There were no cars with a package as high as ours but there was a touring package 5. What it appears they are doing is jacking up the price of the packages, then putting in the discount making the car the same damn price(this car had a 1750.00 savings on the sticker). I showed him, on my print out the package 6 is 4175 and on the car we looked at was a package 5 and the package was over 5K! According to the website the package 5 should be 2905.00..So it looks like they are cooking the numbers somehow to make it look like you get something that you really are not..Was very disappointing to see Toyota doing this..
    But on an upside I did get him to reduce the platinum extended warranty to 990.00 from over 2400.00!
    We were really hoping to get the car for our road trip to north Texas this weekend but it will give us something to look forward to on Monday..

John

5. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hate to say it but 990 is about market price for the warranty. See this thread. Glad you didn't pay the ridiculous dealer price though.

6. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Option prices are jacked up a little ... there was $2000 off listed on the sticker off a Pkg #6 I saw at a local dealer. When you build on Toyota.com it reflects it as well, just doesn't explicitly state it.

7. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tballx @ Oct 7 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]522448[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm..I thought the price was far below market price and was what the price was offered here? I would have bought it here had they not offered it at the price I told them I could buy it at. He was quite hesitant, and did ask me where I got that price..I told him a little birdie gave it to me! :p
    This way I could have them put it on the note..
    had it not been for that I would have given my business here..
    Jonn