1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are CA HOV stickers valid in other states?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by juliem, Jun 10, 2007.

1. juliem

juliem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm driving down to Arizona next week, and I was wondering, can I drive in AZ HOV lanes with my CA stickers? Since AZ has legalized hybrids in HOV lanes, maybe it's okay?

I'm guessing I can't do it, but it never hurts to ask...

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OaklandPrius @ Jun 10 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]459253[/snapback]</div>
    Just like solo CA HOV access is limited to those who have the special stickers, other states have stickers or special license plates for their residents. You could try it, but don't be surprised if you get pulled over and ticketed.

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would assume it only works in CA.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OaklandPrius @ Jun 10 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]459253[/snapback]</div>
    Go to the state's DMV website. Probably covered in their FAQ or give them a call. I'll bet on "no".

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As far as I can tell, no. None of the special plates/stickers carry between states.

6. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Here in Virginia, you need a special license plate to use HOV lanes when driving alone in a clean-fuel vehicle. I would get a ticket if I tried it, because I have regular VA plates. If someone from another state tried it, they would also get ticketed (well, assuming they were caught, but that's another story for another day).

7. juliem

juliem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for your input, all. As it turned out, traffic was light whenever the HOV lanes appeared, so it wasn't an issue. Lucky me!

I was pretty sure that it wasn't legal, but since I couldn't find any websites that explicitly stated so, I thought it worth asking around.

2200 miles, and one week later, I'm back at home. It was a lot of driving, but the car did great. :D

8. Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    IV
    I am still seeking further clarification on this issue. I too drive in Arizona a lot, and I would like to know if I can drive in the HOV lanes, which would sometimes come in handy. I have heard discussions of a pending “reciprocal” agreement between other states, regarding the use of their HOV stickers and license plates. This would only seem to make sense, as the HOV sticker technically grants access to HOV lanes on FEDERAL highways.