1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Are Car Dealers Slowing the Adoption of Electric Vehicles?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pakitt, Nov 12, 2023.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The article should have been titled" Are a Lot of Car Dealers Slowing the Adoption of Electric Vehicles?".
    In my case, when I was shopping for another Bolt, some dealers were totally enthused about them, ordering and stocking as many as they could get their hands on, even having charging stations on the property, while others had a meh attitude. If you want one, we have to order it. Guess where I bought mine.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, i would say the whole car dealer problem has greatly improved since ev's first hit the lots.
    and they will continue to improve.
    if you take out the things that are slowing all car sales, how much are ev sales really slowing?
    and if they are slowing beyond that, i'd say it's because mfg's have loaded the lots with loaded models, and the fed credit doesn't apply to most of them.

pakitt likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or is Toyota dragging it's heels? Not sure. All I know, our local dealership on the lot inventory is 4 tacomas, one tundra, one supra, and one BZ4X (the electric cross-over that looks like Star Wars storm trooper transport.

Louis19 likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From a quick search, it looks like the car market overall is doing as well today as it did at the beginning of the year. Pretty sure these sales numbers include the EVs. The EV segment alone has slowed down, but their rate improvement is still over double the industry average.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must be time for another interest rate increase then

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Is one of the attractions of buying a Tesla the "no sales jerk around" method of buying? Yes. So has that siphoned some sales away from traditional dealers? Yes.

I have bought 4 cars without ever visiting the dealer except to pick the car up, hand over the agreed upon check, and drive away in less than a half hour. I love it. Find the fleet or internet salesperson at a dealer and do it by email. Or buy online like Tesla does.

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If I could avoid dealers at all, both for purchasing and because of maintenance, I would. I don’t see their use. Most sales people don’t know what they talk about, EVs or not. And here in the USA they force you to buy what is on the lot filled of stupid add-ons you don’t want and pay 10x what it costs them so they can rip off money from you.
    And regarding the lady that bought and EV and was offered a maintenance plan? It happened to us too, at BMW when we picked up our i4. We knew the sales guy knew better, but I felt he was forced by management to go through the BS offering plans at thousands of dollars. Our car needs a brake fluid check in 2 years, and that’s it. As per app/car indications.
    The whole problem of selling EV or not has to do a lot with consumers too. Too lazy or stupid or burdened to inform themselves before going to a dealer to buy a car. And most consumers in the USA by a car for looks and a couple of specific features, if they can afford it. Otherwise whatever is affordable on the lot, based on the monthly payment they can pay. Forget about fuel consumption, overall TCO, efficiency, and for EVs, where to charge, how to charge, etc.
    It is all out there, even on the manufacturers’ websites…
    But no, I want my F150 this color. That it does 5 mpg and it is 300$/month just in gas, it doesn’t matter…only to then blame somebody else when gas prices go up, and you cannot get at the end of the month.

bisco likes this.
  9. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Maybe it is a Canadian approach , in the showroom I saw the same vehicules you described ........no corolla,no prius,no camry,no corolla cross, no sienna , no RAV4....just trucks and the BZ4X and the supra

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, we don't have any here either. toyota lot was all preowned, chevy lot was a sea of new silveradoes, tahoes, suburbans and the like.

11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They've also loaded their lots with cars that have CCS charging ports. Oops, that's all they have.

Mike

12. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can say is that EV adoption seems complicated.

It's not as easy as, "Honey, what do you think about trading in our car for an EV. Let's go down to the car lot and get one."

It's more like:
    W "What about a wagon."
    H "They don't make those, even for ICEV's."
    W "Ok, so what about a crossover."
    H "Those are $50k."
    W "Ok, better go for a compact economy EV."
    H "Ok, lets try a used Leaf."
    30-miles later...
    H "Honey, do you have that number for the tow truck handy? The gauge stopped working at 5%."
    W "Ok, so what about a Bolt?"
    H "Um, I've looked for the past 6 months and can't find any for under $30,000, and we don't qualify for the federal tax credit, Hon."
    W "Ok, but here's a used Tesla for $15k!"
    H "Yes, but insurance want's $500 a month for it, and it's 3,000 miles from where we live."

ICEV experience:

H "Hey, here's a ol' VW Golf for $600 and all it needs is a new master cylinder for the clutch."
    Put clutch cyinder in in one afternoon.
    10 years and 400,000 miles later...
    H "Sorry Hon, but one of the injector lines broke. It costs $15 and will take a day to come in."

#11 Isaac Zachary, Nov 13, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  13. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking at my Toyota dealership, we have 15 bZ4X's from $45k-51K....ouch. They also have some Prius and Prius Prime and it's interesting the Prime is only a few hundred dollars more.
    With high inflation and high interest rates, it's not surprising cars aren't moving like they used to.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I assume that they will have to create an online chat so that the Amazon sales person can negotiate the price and put you on hold so she/he can go talk to a manage and get a better price for you...if you buy today.

Mike

bisco likes this.
  16. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    duplicate deleted

17. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    :D:p:cry::LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

Dealerships will stock whatever they can sell. The longer something sits on their lot, the more money it cost them. So if they can move 15 econo-boxes a month to one Prius; It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what they are going to stock and what your going to find on their lots.
    Amazon buying experience is more likely going to be an equivalent to buying from TrueCar, Costco, Sams, or BJ. Hyundai has dealerships and contracts with the manufacturers. There's usually an exclusivity clause for a certain radius, buried in those contracts - which protects the dealerships for the huge outlay in capital, in starting the dealership.

#15 BiomedO1, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023