1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Car Keys on the Way Out?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hb06, Apr 16, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I use car keys on the way in.

Tom

3. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

If they eliminate the key altogether, how will you get into a locked car if the battery goes dead?

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DelerPrius @ Apr 16 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]423998[/snapback]</div>
    Hopefully the people who actually build things (as opposed to conclusion-jumping reporters) will remember that point...

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's always a backup mechanical bit to something electronic. Or at least I hope so lol.

Be glad that we have a mechanical release for the hatch if the battery dies cause some sedans with a power release don't have a backup keyhole so the stuff in the trunk is locked until you get the battery going (or if you're able to, fold down the rear seats).

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DelerPrius @ Apr 16 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]423998[/snapback]</div>
    To quote the the instructions on MRE heaters: "use a rock or something..." :D

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For the time being, cheaper cars will still have keys. And we'll probably have the backup mechanical key until they invent some other way to get in when the battery fails. My Xebra will have a key. Seems awfully backward of it. But if they couldn't afford to put more than three wheels on it, how are they going to afford an SKS? Maybe they'll implant a chip in your head, and power it with a thermocouple using your body heat. Likewise, the warmth of your hand, placed on the door, will power the unlock latch. Or, better yet, to get into the car, you'll blow into a tube. The warmth of your breath will power the device that unlocks the door, but only if there's no alcohol in your blood.