1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are center caps necessary? Form, function or both?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FirstAndTen, Aug 3, 2011.

1. FirstAndTen

FirstAndTen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I have been a lurker for awhile. I have a 2010 Winter Grey II. Took the "what I think are" ugly hub caps off awhile ago, but haven't addressed the center caps. I have been looking for an answer to this, but can't find one.

Are the center caps necessary? My friend who used to work at Ford saw my missing center caps and said I should take care of that so they don't "dry out"?

Is this true? 99% of the threads on center caps seem to focus on the "look", not the function.

In the long run, are my wheels worse off with no center caps?

Thanks

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Purely form.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is nut in there to remove the front hub that I like to keep clean for future repairs (front wheel bearings). But, yes mostly form.

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree, though keeping crud away from the front wheel bearings is a good motivation to put something in the open holes beyond "looks".

5. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do they make Toyota OEM caps and/or do you recommend a certain brand?

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes they do, but kind of spendy (nearly $50). There is also a thread on here about $3 knockouts that will work too (no emblem).

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless you go off-roading, how do they stay any cleaner (or "dry out" less) behind the hubcap than with it off?

8. noweyout

noweyout Trying to get used to it

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Look on ebay for the lazy-man's solution to center caps. If you don't want to go looking and painting home depot center caps, those ones made overseas are great!

9. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $50.00 for one from Toyota? What do ask for when ordering them at a dealership? Any pics of these $50 caps? Also, does the Prius Chat Store sell any?

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just bought a set of 4 for $9.88 w free shipping on eBay

12. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The nice thing about the knockoff version is that they are removable via a tiny slot that is present.

I presently have my hub caps on and the center caps are not compatible with them on simultaneously.

I cant' speak for the genuine ones.

13. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you gently tap them in w a hammer?

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's the same way. In fact the genuine caps protrude more than the eBay caps.

As far as installing them, you could use a mallet I suppose. I just used my hand though. Lined up a clip on one side, and pushed hard to snap in the other 3 clips It's a tight fit so you have to give it a little force.

The caps really finish the look though. Nobody can tell that they're not OEM. Mr. Prius you will be pleased.

1 person likes this.
  15. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know if you mean the center caps or the hub caps w/ the center caps on.

I inserted the center caps by hand, I could have tapped it with my fist, but it seemed to go in very easily. But then it was very snug and I was confident it would not fall out. It's not possible to take it out without using the slot.

As for the hub caps, tapping them with a hammer will keep the hub cap on with the center caps installed, but you will notice that it is bulged out in the center, and the hub cap is not very secure. In other words, the center caps interfere no matter how well you try to install the hub caps.

The only thing you can do is shave the circular ring on the inside of the hub cap, which is what hits the center cap. But I did not want to modify my hub caps to conform it to the center caps.

I wanted to put my hub caps back on. I found the center caps were very secure, and I couldn't take it out by hand. But there is a small slot where you can insert a thin tool to pry it out, and that was easy to do.

1 person likes this.
  16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1. That's why I waited so long, over a year, to get center caps. I couldn't decide whether I wanted my hubcaps on or permanently off. It took a long time for the bare alloys to grow on me. I'm never going back to the hubcaps and that fate is sealed with my new center caps. :D

17. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Attach a picture or point me to where u have posted one

18. FirstAndTen

FirstAndTen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link! To confirm, I have a Gen III, 2010 II. The year range worries me... 2004-2010??? I thought the generations were clustered as such: 2003-2009 and 2010-present. Only reason I ask is that I read the center cap size is different for Gen II and Gen III.

Confused. Your link says 2010, but I am trigger shy.

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My pictures and summary is on page 10 of that thread. I took 3 pictures. You can't miss it. They may take a while to load so you can try refreshing your page.

Good question. 94+ people have bought this item recently. I would think at least a handful of those buyers owned 2010+, and if it hadn't fit they might come back with something negative to say - but it doesn't look like that. PriusChat member Revhigh owns a 2010 and just ordered the same caps shortly after me. He should have them by now. You could ask him.

For an even more definitive answer, read the 2nd post in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...leshooting/75295-center-cap-size-touring.html
    From what I gathered, the 2010 caps are the same, 2.25".

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it. I'm using the same centre caps as the ones on my 2005 Prius (the domed ones). You can use the flatter ones (I don't have the part number handy). Those are found on the 2009+ Corolla, 2007+ Camry and so forth.