1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are children over-scheduled?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Jun 12, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

Are children busier now than when you were a kid?

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Thank goodness I wasn't brought up in Japan under such conditions...

I think parents that push their kids real hard when they're young are creating a time bomb. In almost all cases I've witnessed, these early high achievers end up imploding at some point later in life... Too many examples come to mind...

I remember when a teacher asked if I would join the track team, and I was like, "What? Cut into my nap and video game/hanging out time? No thanks...!" :D

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

I think Yataro is clearly a bit over-sheduled. However, the description of his routine is not that different from that of many children in the US. Piano lessons, soccer, play dates, lacrosse, elaborate birthday parties - I had no idea there was actually a "birthday party industry" until I had a son. On the other hand, a kid can be under-scheduled as well. Too much sitting in front of the TV. I am glad my 5 year old is learning piano - I am learning at the same time. The bass clef is a little tricky, isn't it?

I guess now we know how Toyota gets so many smart engineers. :)

"parents that push their kids real hard when they're young are creating a time bomb"

This seems to be the common reaction. However, I think you would find that most of these kids in Japan do very well.

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 12 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]269939[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but "why?", and "for what?", are the REAL questions...

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

6. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 12 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]269942[/snapback]</div>
    My question isn't how much is too, much, but rather why?

no, beyond that, why? intelligence is a pretty nebulous concept, and the ability to compete? have you ever asked yourself why? What does it mean to be successful? A *large* salary? The ability to sustain yourself on a most basic level? What cracks me up, is when I see parents pushing for the *success* of their child, which is totally fine, of course, with, ultimately, no real substantive reasoning other than to be "successful", whatever that might mean, typically, it's in terms of the "American Dream", nice house, kids, cars, money, to be patted on the head, and told you're smart, the envy of your peers, etc., etc., etc... ...and should the child ever attain this arbitrary measure of "success", then what? What's the ultimate point? Yes, I'm a freshman in highschool taking a differential equations course, I'm at the top of my class, my salary will be 450K a year, I'll live well and entertain myself until the grave... :rolleyes:

7. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right on MysterySquid.

There are some kids, my daughter included, that just want to have childhoods. I know that my parents never pushed me to do stuff (there really wasn’t much to do back in the sixty’s) but yet I still received high-grades throughout my school years. I have the potential to make much more money than I do, but at what cost? A sixty-hour work week? Hell no! I’d rather have fun and relax while I can. I may not retire wealthy but I sure as hell will have few regrets.

On the other hand, I know parents whose kids WANT to be over-scheduled with 1) dance class four nights a week, 2) scouting, 3) martial arts. If they can handle the workload, and aren’t too stressed about it, then what the heck.

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

" What's the ultimate point?"

Who would have thought that MS was a closet hippy?
    This debate was the height of fashion in the '60s and '70s but has since, like communism, fallen on hard times. Turned out that "back to the land" was not as attractive a proposition as many supposed. "Why should I work hard and be sucessful; why not just drop out and smoke dope?" A fairly sophomoric debate well suited to the hords of young boomers of which I was one. So, you see, I'm not exactly the liberal/hippy/"do your own thing, man", person that some might suppose. It is well known that yesterday's hippies became today's yuppies, the old VW having been traded in for a volvo (or a Prius.)

At the existential level, you are right; there is no "ultimate point." At a human level, however, I think a "happy" life requires some exertion, some development of skill. Ultimately, the meaningless of existence is not incorrect, just irrelevant. So, I think the question remains - what is a good balance between a child having too much structure and not enough? By the way, this would be a good question for a chat - what makes for a "happy" life? Any takers?

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 12 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]269970[/snapback]</div>
    This is YOUR life baby, you've only got ONE shot at it, to not stop and give significant, meaningful thought to such things is to risk wasting your life by, perhaps, even more disturbingly, your own standards... To "gloss" over it becuase of "fashion" is oh so vain (pun intended :lol: )... ...at your expense, as vanity usually is... So please, go ahead and don't address what might be the most important thought process of your life, and end up, *smug* in the box... PA-THUMP! (sound of body tossed into empty pine box)... :ph34r:

This sort of thing should be part of the educational curriculum, where, I'm not sure, but somewhere between late grade school and high school graduation...

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 12 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]269978[/snapback]</div>
    Any other, more useful responses?

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 12 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]269939[/snapback]</div>
    I just use the treble clef twice, or better yet, pry off all of those darn black keys. It's much easier then. :p

Tom

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 12 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]269982[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. That is more useful. I'll try it tonight. Why did Mozart have to write so many notes anyway?

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]269979[/snapback]</div>
    Sure . . .
    When you are going to wholesale plagiarize a story, you could, at the very least, give a link to credit to the source. :rolleyes:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5060848.stm

Use of bbc.co.uk
    3.You may not copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use bbc.co.uk content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. You also agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any bbc.co.uk content except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of bbc.co.uk content requires the prior written permission of the BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/terms/

14. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My son is involved in music lessons, jazz band, music camp etc... he practices on his own at home, I never have to remind him, he's good. But what he looks forward to are the days when he can just hang out, go outside and play, play on the computer, PSP, etc....

I think we sometimes push our kids too much. They only have one real chance at childhood (not really, I'm still a kid, and I'm in my 40's), let them be kids and let them be the guide. Childhood is great, college is the best time of all! but being an adult sometimes sucks.

15. jared2

jared2 New Member

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 12 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]270005[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

[​IMG]

Sorry jared, sometimes I just can't help myself... ;)

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 12 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]270005[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

[​IMG]

Sorry jared, sometimes I just can't help myself... ;)

18. jared2

jared2 New Member

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 12 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]270015[/snapback]</div>
    But it is hardly plagarism -
    I agree, it's plagiarism.

I never implied that I wrote the story.
    No, you only posted it under your username and didn't credit the author/source.

And I am not seeking to profit in any way.
    Stealing something and placing it in someone else's house does not absolve you of the crime . . because you are not seeking a profit. PriusChat is a commercial site and profits from your plagiarism.

It is just a story, up for discussion. Every writer wants to be read and discussed.
    And those writers/sources wish to be credited and/or make a profit from their work.

Or do you want to lock me up?
    Not up to me. I am only the accuser, not the judge and jury. (that would be danny and the moderators . . . or the BBC. :eek: )

As I say, I will post links in future.
    Will that be a first? :huh: You should start by revising your OP and posting a link there.

Now what do you think about the story, if anything?
    I think it was plagiarized, but I had heard it before. Like when several years ago Japan forced a one time unstructured recess period on the school children. Many of the students stood around dumbfounded not knowing what to do . . . others just did school work in order to get ahead. They did not know how to spontaneously play . . . structured play they could do, but when asked to do by themselves in an unstructured environment, they could not function. - And some people wonder why Japanese auto manufacturers have design studios in Southern California and in other countries.

20. furkidsnprius

furkidsnprius New Member

My son is one of those who wants to do MORE MORE MORE. I limit him to 3 afterschool activities period. They can take up no more than 4 weeknights and one weekend day per week. He manages to get his homework done and practice those activities he enjoys the most. Frankly I find his schedule more wearing than he does. I wouldn't allow him to do so much if other kids were available to play with him. Unfortunately most are involved in lots of activities which ties up their after school time or else I hear "he isn't an appropriate age to play with my kid" (interesting since when I grew up you just played with whoever was in the neighborhood regardless of age, sex, color, religion, or anything else) I even got told off for just showing up at one of his friends house one day without calling first. "What do you want?" "Why did you just come over?" "Did you think you can be more considerate in the future?" Heck, I used to just knock on my friends door, if they weren't home I'd go elsewhere. I still have a hard time with why it is rude for my son to go to a friends house to ask if they can play.