1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Fossil Fools Trying to Disrupt Battery Market?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusCamper, May 6, 2022.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tonight I was thinking about all the crazy of lithium and nickel markets and how it's led/leading to huge shortages in OEM replacement battery packs for Prius, shut down in production for Project Lithium packs for Prius too.

Just a couple more weeks before packs run out till 2023:
    https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

But beyond our small niche of Prius, what's going on in board rooms of EV automaker efforts around the world with the charts below? If I was a fossil fuel industry executive I couldn't be happier about this nightmare. Almost like it was their plan?

What do you think?

Screenshot from 2022-05-05 21-53-35.png

Screenshot from 2022-05-05 21-55-17.png

#1 PriusCamper, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The markets for everything is pretty crazy right now.

This is just going to accelerate the expansion lithium mining, increase investment in recycling and reusing, and move standard range BEVs to LFP.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that EV's are going to have a bright future, but I also think that SOME EVangelists take a somewhat FNS style "fair and balanced" view of the carbon throughput and exploitation pollutants with their batteries.

https://www.thoughtco.com/lithium-production-2340123
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_mine

I'm thinking that the ROI for BEVs should be accurately portrayed NOT to quell people's appetite for this technology but rather to address the real-world return on ALL investments SOONER rather than later.

Conspiracy?
    Perhaps......
    After all there's REAL MONEY in electric generation and battery production.... ;)

upload_2022-5-6_10-9-12.jpeg

#3 ETC(SS), May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Russian and China want the Moon - Musk wants as much of Mars and possible
    Everyone still believes Science will eventually have all the answers to the human condition(s).
    Right on stripmineearthfirst.jpg

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes geothermal lithium saltwater extraction viable, GM needs to accelerate its Salton basin project

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is one ecologically oriented viewpoint that suggests that if humans establish civilizations off world most all the nasty planet destroying resource extraction activities and use of nuclear power, etc. could occur off-planet in places where life doesn't exist and ultimately we'd be able to restore earth to the living systems it once was because we could eliminate all reason for why we need to destroy it. The vision ties in well with the Dalai Lama explaining that all of humanity's problems of today are not insurmountable and that in less than 700 years they will no longer be anyone's concern anymore.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Who's problem(s) will they be? Other humans? Whatever evolution replaces humans with that have adapted to whatever the earth of 700 years in the future turns into?
    Yale Climate Connection has an article this week On climate doomism
    The plot is There is still hope.
    https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/05/on-climate-doomism-heart-mind-reasons-to-resist-it/
    Ot like Toyotas concept with self driving, will there be a synergy of man and machine in which neither is the master, but each watches out of the other.
    Dr. Gill Pratt, CEO, Toyota Research Institute CES 2019 Remarks | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website
    "Today, it is my pleasure to share our newest Guardian and Chauffeur test bed the TRI- P4 research vehicle."

#7 vvillovv, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.
    Right.
    What could go wrong? :unsure:

Humans have a very poor track record with "neither is the master."

vvillovv likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I learned about a new movement called Degrowth today. It's about Social Change as thought by some Climate Conscience people as being the only way to avoid climate disaster this century.
    The numbers being shown in the video are far from positive currently.

and the chances of the Rich ( people, companies, countries governments ) implementing those kinds of complex social and economic changes don't look very promising ( at least not yet, anyways ) either.
    if eva

#9 vvillovv, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.
    I didn't watch the above vid because I darned sure don't want it in my youtoobe history, but navel gazing first-worlders aren't where the center-of-gravity lies with AGW......
    Coal Consumption by Country - Worldometer

We certainly do our share, but left coaster's cars are FAR from the largest carbon producers in the US, and the US although ranked second (ish) only (allegedly) produce about 13% of the "world's human caused" atmospheric carbon.....and (spoiler alert) we are not the only source of carbon and carbon isn't the sole source of AGW and AGW isn't the sole source of planetary warming.

The ChiComms produce over half of all of the AGW suspects, and India is on track to zoom past us in a few years to take the silver.

Thirteen percent ain't nothing, and we would do well to set a good example after helping to defile the planet for over 100 years but we would also do well to not let BEVs become the 'recycled plastic drinking bottles' of the 2020's and 2030's.

...just sayin' :D

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Worldometer link offers option to re-sort by population (per capita) which offers a different perspective. Potentially more realistic. Maybe not though, for our Australian readers :D

Three thousand cubic feet per capita (per year) is a heckuva pile.

vvillovv likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, Exactly! It's about how much consumption per person, not whatever @ETC(SS) is doing to pretend with statistics like 1st world is not the root of the problem.

Probably the same paranoid delusional claim of "darned sure don't want it in my youtoobe history" at work in his bogus claim of "navel gazing first-worlders aren't where the center-of-gravity lies with AGW."

As in some people since birth will never wander from the herd and think beyond what others expect them to think.

Truth is the only thing that has ever changed human history for the better is an individual human refusing to except what other humans consider as "normal." And first we laughed and mocked those individual humans, then we attacked them and tried to silence them, then we act as though what they first said is totally obvious and everyone who objects to them is insane.

#12 PriusCamper, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    He did, however post a link that readily allows per capita comparisons. That's a good thing, aside from other fulminations.
    Saved me from making another darn spreadsheet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

vvillovv and PriusCamper like this.
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Per cap is more dramatic as a bar graph (about halfway down the page)
    Coal Power Emissions Per Capita | Ember

==
    China coal consumption has been declining (slowly!) since about 2007. I expect that to continue to decrease but still slowly. US is decreasing faster, and its 'per cap' will probably be lower than PRC in not-too-many years. Seems like a laudable goal to me.

==
    But I'm still interested in your first post, which has not been followed up. Who is expanding lithium extraction now, where, and by what means?

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's was actually a good article on this subject just yesterday: https://electrek.co/2022/05/09/tesla-sourcing-lithium-nickel-cobalt-directly-mines-details/

"Tesla explained in its latest Impact Report: "While cobalt, nickel, and lithium go through multiple processing steps by different companies, some of the more important environmental and social risks in this supply chain are present at mine sites. Direct sourcing from mining companies allows Tesla to engage directly in local contexts instead of having to rely on multiple midstream companies that typically sit between EV makers and mining. It also enables more transparent and traceable supply chains and better environmental and social data.""

tochatihu likes this.
  16. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Besides what Tesla is stating in regards to direct mining of minerals, I really love how this stuff is presented to the unwashed potential customers, are the market brokers advertising Super Lithium and both green and blue gas as the next best thing to come down the pike and a huge upside, besides.

I posted before about a UCSD theorical astro physics professor with a huge blog called Do the Math.
    In the blog is a reference to the American carbon footprint per ca pita. <spell checked without the space :ROFLMAO: >
    I'll try to locate the reference, but please don't hold me to it if I can't find it.
    Anyways here a link to one post - there should be something in the blog to interest almost everyone.
    Tom Murphy Profile | Do the Math
    There is even a reference to the world population clock of the early 60 developed the C Company I intelligence A agency. It's pretty had to relocate it though. I've failed a few times already.

I'd like to give ETC(SS) some credit for responding. Being in this countries mil requires meeting unique reSTRICTions that can sometimes be beyond the understanding of non mil civilians, like myself. Sure it would be nice if all mil personnel had the opportunity to speak freely on any subject, but that's not always the case, especially if said personnel want to remain in service. I believe there are some parts of the video that would not be looked kindly upon by ranking officers if the subject ever came to light. So, imo, I'd not want to judge harshly anything that was posted above in #10

But I'm with you in many other respects being discussed in this thread.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'd not judge harshly anything that was posted above in #10 either. Silly falls within PriusChat's big tent, and this big tent includes readers who can discern and sort. Let them; let us all.

PriusCamper likes this.
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If I let them and didn't respond with my thoughts I'd probably have to ignore at least half the post that have Quoted my posts and many of them do hit me in a very negative context, not naming names yet though.
    Even to the point of crying about how badly my posts hit them after they've blasted me half way to hell and back and sometimes even in groups of like minded members. Should I mention the one pet subject that drives a lot of current members to aggressive greed, or can you guess without me actually typing it's name?

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am huge supporter of hybrids as a rational approach minimizing both fossil fuel use and metals resources. Also explains why Toyota is still using some NiMH...guess my 2020 RAV4HV is still the nickel.

vvillovv likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It likely is NiMH, but not long it did get the Li-ion pack for half a year, pre-pandemic IIRC. I'm guessing supply issues for the NiMH. Li-ion is likely cheaper though.