1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Humans Totally Stupid?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by VinceDee, Dec 8, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I thought this was an interesting read. I don't agree with all of it, but the first, cynical part reads pretty well like what I think <_<

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

Are Humans Totally Stupid?
    Either we're hell-bent on self-destruction, or we truly care about the planet. Or, you know, both

They say that when gas prices drop, SUV sales surge.

Conversely, they say that when gas prices jump above three bucks a gallon and hover there for a while and everyone is slapped upside the head once again with the painful and obvious reminder that oh yeah we are in the midst of a brutal and losing war over waning petroleum deposits and we are heating up the planet like maniac monkeys and we are really really not paying close enough attention to what all those hurricanes and eroded glaciers and crying trees are trying to tell us, well, that's when our conscience finally kicks in and more people consider buying a Prius and maybe an organic salad, just in case.

It's just incredibly easy, in this painful, tragicomic age of Bush, to take the pessimist's view and think we are, as evidenced by the rather dimwitted formula above, simple as rocks. Stupid, even. Ignorant, reactionary, shortsighted as a Republican rubbing himself with a wad of tobacco lobbyist cash. Is it not obvious?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are no more stupid or intelligent than we were 40 thousand years ago. Our technology simply outpaced our wisdom. Overspecialazation is scary in terms of evolution.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are humans totally stupid? The fact that Paris Hilton is a household name should answer THAT question.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take the contrary view and proclaim that humans are the smartest animals in existence! :p

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 9 2006, 06:48 AM) [snapback]359683[/snapback]</div>
    I stayed at the Paris Hilton. What's so stupid about that? ;) :lol:

6. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 9 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]359801[/snapback]</div>
    I presume you stayed inside, and that it was quite roomy :p

Vince

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Dec 8 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]359581[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

Next question?

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Duh!

Humans are incredibly stupid and short sighted. We think of our own pleasures with little consideration to the impact on the world around us.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    are humans totally stupid?

as if there was any doubt??

i used to laugh and wonder why lemmings in Alaska would all follow each other over the cliffs to their certain demise. as i got older, i realized that the laugh was on me. i try to march to my own beat, but i do so not by experiencing life, i do it by analyzing information and trying to determine a best course of action.

but that information is clouded by human judgment and is fundamentally flawed. many times i wish i had the courage to go out and experience life fully. still working on that

10. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Then there is the classic quote from Douglas Adams:

On the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 10 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]360018[/snapback]</div>
    I like that! :)

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that we're stupid so much that, by the time one generation learns the lesson, it's simply too late...the next generation has assumed control and is primed to make the same mistakes all over again.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 11 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]360591[/snapback]</div>
    Like the Sumerians, the Greek, the Romans, etc, etc? But that is why we teach history is it not? Ohh yeah, we skip the facts and focus on dates instead. lol

14. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are humans totally stupid?

Yes.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some humans are totally stupider than others, but then again, I didn't vote for bush either time.

16. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 9 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]359683[/snapback]</div>
    Paris would not be a household name if she wasn't shown bare nice person all over the web. She's a billionaire so money does not matter. FOX gave her a TV show after her sex encounter! I actually watched 2 or 3 eps. of that dopey show out of curiosity. Paris is dumb as a box of rocks, but she has no problems.

I am a george Carlin fan and he has stated on numerous shows that most people are basically stupid. I agree. If you ask many of them where they got their info on any subject usually it's from the TV set. Need I say more? That's almost as bad as believing our Govt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Dec 14 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]362453[/snapback]</div>
    If humans were so all fired smart they would have heeded the population explosion in the '60s and the energy oil embargo in the '70s. We all were told to stop wasting energy back then and what do I see everywhere? SUV's, p/ups with huge engines, totally wasteful American vehicles, and arrogant humans who are more interested in their stupid rights than in saving the world they are ruining through stupidity and the love of the almighty dollar. Most people should never have been born. They serve no useful purpose, consume valuable resources, and give nothing in return.

17. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Who can point me to one of those sites that catalogue factoids you hear periodically on the radio or TV, such as that only 8% of Americans can locate Iraq on a map?

I'm not so sure it's "stupid" as it is "having other priorities..." :rolleyes:

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'm not convinced HUMANS are stupid, just arrogant Americans, corporate CEO's and politicians who revel in their own greed, and of course sheeple.

19. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 4 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]370592[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, people are stupid all over the world (rioting because of some cartoons, the whole Mexican election mess which makes the 2000 election here look good by comparison, and, of course, just about everything that happens in Paris are just three examples off the top of my head). It's just that we're louder, richer, and have more weapons so our stupidity gets heard more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jan 3 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]370496[/snapback]</div>
    It's not that bad, it's 13 percent. Added bonus: 11% can't find the U.S.! And these people vote? *shudder*

20. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jan 3 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]370496[/snapback]</div>
    Who gives a damn where that 3rd world pesthole is located? It's just another problem area where humans love to kill each other off in the name of religion. That's real bright.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 4 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]370598[/snapback]</div>
    we should go back to the way voting used to be. 1) Age 21. 2) A property owner. 3) A high school grad. I'm convinced that stupid people should not be allowed to vote. It's a waste of time.