1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are hybrid SUVs what we really need?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by paulisme, Apr 12, 2004.

1. paulisme

paulisme New Member

By looking at all the news on hybrids recently, it seems to me like the most emphasis is on hybrid SUVs: big trucks that almost get the same gas mileage as a standard combustion-engine sedan. Is this what we really need? SUVs aren't just gas-guzzlers; they're also unsafe for other drivers who drive practically-sized cars. It seems to me that if you take away the guilt caused by the gas-guzzling nature of the SUV, then we'll be left with a bunch of drivers who are proud to be driving urban-assault vehicles because they're "environmentally friendly." Personally, when I get hit by a Hummer H2 and my car (and me) gets crushed, my mind won't be eased by knowing it got 25 MPG while it rolled over my windshield.

2. jchu

jchu New Member

No, But they are probably the only thing that will satisfy the american consumer. Remember one other fact, Americans are getting fatter. In 1990 30% of Americans were overweight and 11% were morbidly obese (included in the 30% figure). As of 2 years ago 60% were overwt. and 30% were morbidly obese ( i.e. 1/2 of the 60%). And it is only getting worse.

With the bulging waistline, americans are looking to have more passenger room. I suspect that some of what is behind bigger vehicles, at least for some folks, is sheer personal bulk. Do I like it? No. Is it healthy for them or us? No. Do I understand it? maybe. The only "good?" thing is that it is job security for me as a doc :?:

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Personally, I dislike SUVs, as someone who has to drive on the same road as them. And I'm not interested in one at all -- have no need for one, don't like their looks, features, etc. Just doesn't appeal to me.

That said, I do know people who need something along these lines; for their business (contractors) or lifestyle (hunters). Sometimes I think that a truck or a minivan would be a better choice for them, but, it's their car.

So if there's going to be a lot of SUVs on the road (and it looks like it's going to be that way for some time), I'd rather they be hybrids, since they'll use less gas and pollute less.

The only thing I can see that could cause a shift would be a gas shortage and gigantic price upswing, like the 70s. That changed people's choice of cars drastically. And given the rotten diplomatic state we're in with many oil-producing countries, that could happen.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'd rather see SUV's getting 25 to 30 mpg instead of 15. You'll never get them banned from the highways, so you'll be sharing the road with them, like it or not.

Personally, I don't worry about SUV's being on the road. When I'm riding my motorcycle, even a Prius will run me over. That's life. I drive defensively, and am well aware of what's going on around me, and use this to stay out of trouble. It seems to work out well.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's face it, cars go through style phases just like clothes and music. In the 80s and most of the 90s the big style phase was the minivan. Then the minivan got replaced by the SUV & light truck market.

These are cars that are pretty much always going to be sold and are going to sell well. My father moved recently from the 92 Voyager to his new Tundra - mainly because the van was outdated and he hadn't had a need for that occupancy in many years. He got it because he still is going to be getting items that are too big for a sedan (mainly for college football tailgating) and we already had 1 sedan in the family.

It's kinda like saying that people shouldn't buy a sports car and instead should get another sedan. Well, the sports car is what they want and it's their money to spend.

Hybrid SUVs are a good move in my estimation to lessen their impact on the environment and our natural resources.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

I do agree with just about everything - SUV's should be hybrids (as should all cars since we *know* they can get the torque necessary for very good pickup, but that's beside the point), people should have the right to buy them - but, and I'm serious here, if they are over a certain size or weight, you should be required to have a certification to drive them.

Nothing I hate more* than sitting in a parking lot waiting for 4 people who have a hard enough time driving something the size of my neon, maneuvering something the size of Cuba to back into a parking space and scratch up all the cars around them. And they all just sit there, looking stupid at each other like it's your fault they dumped $50 grand into something they can't drive.

(* On an aside, being in my Prius nowadays, I care less about this. Because my car shuts off and will not take a sip of gas until necessary. I wouldn't be suprised if the opposite happens when one drives a giant SUV - you get angrier and know you can drive over everyone, so you have a shorter temper. Just a thought though, I'm not sure if it's true, I personally don't like driving them.)

-m.

7. paulisme

paulisme New Member

At least with minivans, small cars can still see around them reasonably well (unlike when an SUV is taking a left and a small car is beside it trying to take a right but can't see around it for oncoming traffic), minivans aren't as prone to rollover as SUVs, and their bumpers aren't high like SUVs. I'm just worried that if the selfish motive for not buying an SUV is gone ("hey, I don't want to have to pay all that money for gas"), the selfish motive TO by an SUV will take over ("hey, I feel a lot safer in this big SUV even though I put everyone else at risk").

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been thinking similarly to this thread recently. A number of people get SUVs because they figure they need one so they don't get squashed by all the other SUVs. I know parents who want their new teen drivers to have an SUV for this reason. The fact that hybrid SUVs will use less gas and pollute less is great, but it does seem inevitable that there will be a greater %age of SUVs on the road if they eat 50% les gas removing the 1 barrier some people have had to getting one in the past. In the end the number of people driving SUvs who don't need the large carrying capacity will increase and the amount of gas used and pollution generated will be higher than necessary in the interest of perceived self preservation (and the I want to be 'cool' factor).

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Realistically, the "SUV" as we know it is dead.

The danger caused by the unnecessarily high ground-clearance has become quite evident. So that is being removed.

The fierce looked has begun to lose its appeal, in big part due everyone manufacturer now offering models like that. So the aerodynamic look is now the style in vogue.

Well, if you step back and look at those new SUVs (which are selling rather well), they resemble a fat wagon. And of all the silly things, Ford has figured this out and plans to take full advantage of that new market trend. In the fall, they will introduce the "FreeStyle". It's a wagon with the look of a traditional SUV. That twist of fate is one I certainly didn't expect. But it is a rather big step in the right direction. Because if you take a close look at the FreeStyle transmission, you'll see that it is a cone & belt type CVT... which is more fuel efficient than an automatic transmission. Interesting, eh?

Years back, when I first voiced my opinion about how monsterous the size of SUVs were becoming, I was assured by the elders that the trend would eventually cease. And wouldn't you know it, they were right. They knew it was only a phase. But what they didn't know was how the new phase would take shape. Apparently, it's a wagon!

So... does that make our hatchback a "sport" version, since its style offers improved air flow?

10. Medved

Medved New Member

I think the hybrids comming to SUV's are great! I have a Prius on order. And my fiance an I are considering putting in our order for the Hylander!

I currently have a 4Runner, and it is truely a Utilitiy vehicle. I love it to no end! I race remote control cars, and haul a lot of "stuff" on the weekends. When my brother and I race, we car pool together, we either take his van or my 4Runner.

I also use it for work, just today, the back of it is loaded with computers. I buy a vehicle for my maximum needs. I don't know if the Prius will have as much room to carry stuff I may need. People need vehicles for different reasons, some for work, life style, or just plan because they want them.

My 4Runner puts out less emmisions then some of the older 70's cars still on the road! IF your conserned about the environment, focus on these beasts. If your conserned about exausting natural resources, you should be happy something is being done about it. Some companies are doing something about it, Toyota, Honda. They are not waiting for some government "tax break" to encourage them. I applaude capitilizim!

I could make the same arguments about people who own large homes! Why do you NEED a formal dinning room! REC room, Indoor heated pool. I see new homes going up, and they are fit for a king! How are people going to heat them and keep them cool? Let me give you a hint, electricity from coal burning power plants, and natural gas for heat in the winter!

This is why we live in America!, (for those of us who do), to have the American dream. To work hard, and be rewarded with the fruits of our labors. When natural resources beging to run out, we will be forced to find other alternitives, and those companies which are researching them now are going to lead the way. Necessity is the Mother of Invention!

I was reading the consumers report yesterday, I was suprised to find that most 5 passenger sedan's are listed between 23 - 28 mpg. Say even at an average of 25, that isn't much better than my 4runner, at a realistic consumpion of 18-19 per gallon.

Ahhh - sorry, that I had to vent, but this irritates me to no end. All of the bad mouthing of SUV's.

11. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Geez, you sound like Ari Fleischer.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/briefings/20010507.html

Q Is one of the problems with this, and the entire energy field, American lifestyles? Does the President believe that, given the amount of energy Americans consume per capita, how much it exceeds any other citizen in any other country in the world, does the President believe we need to correct our lifestyles to address the energy problem?

MR. FLEISCHER: That's a big no. The President believes that it's an American way of life, and that it should be the goal of policy makers to protect the American way of life. The American way of life is a blessed one. And we have a bounty of resources in this country. What we need to do is make certain that we're able to get those resources in an efficient way, in a way that also emphasizes protecting the environment and conservation, into the hands of consumers so they can make the choices that they want to make as they live their lives day to day.

Q So Americans should go on consuming as much more energy than any other citizens in any other countries of the world, as long as they want?

MR. FLEISCHER: Terry, the President believes that the American people are very wise and that, given the right incentives, they will know how and they will make their own right determinations about how much they can conserve, just as the President announced last week that the federal government, as part of its consumership in California will reduce energy needs -- for example, the Department of Defense facilities in California, by 10 percent. He believes the American people, too, will make the right decisions about conservation and the program he will announce shortly will also include a series of conservation items.

But the President also believes that the American people's use of energy is a reflection of the strength of our economy, of the way of life that the American people have come to enjoy. And he wants to make certain that a national energy policy is comprehensive, that includes conservation, includes a way of allowing the American people to continue to enjoy the way of life that has made the United States such a leading nation in the world.

12. cybele

cybele New Member

Just because someone else is worse, doesn't make your rationale valid.

The trouble with SUVs is that they are not subject to the same emissions standards as are cars.

Compare a 2002 4Runner to a 2002 Camry:

Code:

fuel    cost        CO2          CO1         NOx      Hydrocarbons

2002 TOYOTA 4RUNNER (17.5 mpg, LEV)

12,500 miles/year    714 gal $1100     13857 lb     170.9 lb     14.1 lb    5.0 lb  

2002 TOYOTA CAMRY (25.6 mpg, ULEV)

12,500 miles/year    489 gal  $753      9485 lb     135.0 lb      9.4 lb    3.3 lb 
    You can spend all you want of your hard-earned-American-dream-made money on fuel, but please don't pollute the air that we all have to breathe.

But you are correct. I agree that older vehicles should be taken off the road or retrofitted in some way. But there is a certain degree of futility to that, the cars will eventually leave the road through wear and tear. SUVs continue to be built and not to the same low-emissions standards that cars are (and it's realistic for manufacturers to do it, they just don't have to so they don't).

As for large homes, yeah, that's also an issue of excessive consumption. But again, saying that something else may be worse does little for the debate at hand. If so, let's drag forest fires in as well and why not auto racing and holiday light displays and Las Vegas.

Personally, I have too much regard for people I've never met to put them at risk by buying an SUV. I don't think I could live with myself if I were in a collision and someone died, even if it weren't my fault.

13. Kesey

Kesey New Member

The extra 10 miles to the gallon that a Hybrid SUV will get you is hardly worth the extra money the engine will cost - environmental factors aside. There are however those SUV drivers with lots of money (like the ones who will be buying the Lexus SUV Hybrid) - for them, the extra gas mileage doesn't mean spending less on gas, it means not having to stop as often to fill-up/have someone fill-up the tank.

As far as the SUV bashing and how they are not safe is concerned, if you are constantly driving scared that a Hummer is going to hit you, why don't you buy a bigger car? Forget about they're not safe, they're not environmentally friendly - you're talking about your safety here. Would you not spend the extra money for airbags? What if airbags were not environmentally friendly would you not equip your car with them?

I own both a Prius and an SUV and I would bet there are many Prius owners out there like myself.

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I remember reading somewhere how accidental the discovery of the SUV was in the first place -- the popularity was completely unexpected.

God alone knows what the next automotive "style" will be. 6-wheeled "moon buggy" minivans, maybe. :|

I noticed a couple of car guides/magazines referred to the Prius as a "liftback". I think they mean that as a specialized hatchback. Due to the low sloping angle until it hits the trunk, maybe?

And are liftbacks a trend?

15. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

to me, the only possible rationale for the big SUV's is towing capacity. interior space for carrying stuff is NOT a reason. i am now on my second 'crossover', first a lexus RX300 and now a buick rendezvous. i went to the buick because i needed more room, and there is more room inside the buick for cargo than in an expedition!

the rendezvous is based on the GM mini-vans, and THAT is the most space-efficient design.

those who are interested in such things should check out the book Affluenza, which points out the disease afflicting way too many americans, consumptivitis. too much stuff. the size of houses, the packaging of foods, giant cars, paying people to do everything, nothing for charity, dual incomes so you can pay somebody else to raise the kids...

whew... climbing down off the soapbox...

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

aarons12 -- what type of car is that in your avatar?

(I'm dating myself, but it looks like the Black Beauty from The Green Hornet TV show. :) )

17. paulisme

paulisme New Member

That's exactly the mentality I'm against. Where does it end? Once I have a bigger car, the people that drive SUVs for safety are no longer going to feel safe, so they'll buy even bigger cars, which means I'd have to buy a bigger car which threatens them again, and so on. It's the same argument for everyone having guns (the "If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns" mentality). If we all decided to drive smaller, safer, more fuel-efficient cars, then we'd all be better off. Yeah yeah, I know, it'll never happen, it's the American way of life, blah blah. There are a lot of things about the American way of life that are just plain stupid. But nothing's ever going to change if everyone just says "that's the way it is."

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ...And it's time to move this to General Discussion.

Continue the discussion, this is interesting.

19. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

that is my weekend toy, a 1987 avanti. originally owned by the CFO of avanti motors (all avanti's except for the 1963/64 studebaker ones were custom built to order) it has the ground effects package from the 1989 avanti. it has about 21,000 original miles. i was 6 when the original avanti's came out and always wanted one...

20. Kesey

Kesey New Member

I mean that's just not true. People are not going to be driving around a Semi the Hummer/Excursion are as big as they are getting. I was just stating as a bottom line, if you are driving around feeling unsafe everyday what's the point? I would rather spend the extra few bucks on gas/safety which an SUV would afford me if I was driving around wondering which SUV was going to hit me all the time as the first poster seemed worried. Like I previously stated with the example of an airbag, if an airbag was not environmentally friendly and if a car did not come with one, would you buy one? I don't see driving an SUV as a safety thing (though they are safer in crashes), but I was just commenting on the previous comment.