1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are kids worth having?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Mar 31, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

The rise of the 'childfree'
    Birth rates in the European Union are falling fast.

The BBC News website's Kathryn Westcott talks to those among a growing group who have chosen not to have children, and are fed up with the emphasis given to family life.

Childless or childfree? Not so long ago, all women without children were known as childless, with its implication of a state of loss. Nowadays, a growing number of women are insisting on the term childfree - with its emphasis on liberation.

Mariah, who lives in Sweden, decided to be sterilised at the age of 25
    An increasing number of women in their 30s are rejecting the job description that they believe comes with parenting - loss of freedom, reduced career prospects and financial burdens.

Numbers are difficult to come by, but London School of Economics sociologist Dr Catherine Hakim has carried out some extensive research in this area.

She has no doubt rising numbers of people are actively choosing not to have children.

"In many European countries around 10% of women reach the age of 45 with no kids," she says.

"Of that figure, there are those who have chosen to remain childfree, those who have delayed having a child and are experiencing problems, and those who are infertile. A UN fertility study says 2-3% will fall into that category."

She believes the number without children will double in many countries to around 20% - except Germany, where the figure is already closer to 30%, partly because it is seen as having some of the most family unfriendly policies in Europe.

'Taboo subject'

"The whole idea of the childfree lifestyle is beginning to be recognised by the media," says Dr Hakim. "Private feelings are being legitimised and people are beginning to feel that they are not being deviant in some way.

More and more people are questioning whether children are for them
    "Very consciously people are more confident in saying they have a different lifestyle."

Despite that, in some countries where there are very strong pro-natal policies, such as France, the idea of women actively choosing not to have children is, to many, an anathema.

Until recently, it was extremely difficult for men and women to undergo sterilisation in France.

"In France, it is difficult being a women without any children," says 33-year-old Alexandra, who lives in Nantes.

"The subject is just taboo. There is no open debate. People refuse to believe you could not want to have children - they always think it's because you simply haven't met the right person."

HAVE YOUR SAY
    A falling birth rate is a good thing. The planet is already overpopulated
    Claire, London

Send us your comments

Alexandra, who has a long-term partner, says that up until her mid-20s, she always thought she would have children. But, after changing her mind, she says she is confident that nothing will make her change it back again.

Lifestyle choice

She says that the assumption that it is only the work-mad who shun parenthood is far from accurate.

"I didn't make the choice for career reasons - it was a lifestyle choice. I only work part-time and I like to enjoy life," she says.

FERTILITY RATES
    In Europe 2.1 children per woman is considered to be the population replacement level. These are national averages
    Ireland: 1.99
    France: 1.90
    Norway: 1.81
    Sweden 1.75
    UK: 1.74
    Netherlands: 1.73
    Germany: 1.37
    Italy: 1.33
    Spain: 1.32
    Greece: 1.29
    Source: Eurostat - 2004 figures

At-a-glance: National policies
    Dr Hakim says that governments with "vague pro-natal attitudes" such as France, Sweden and Norway, claim that there is no such thing as voluntary childlessness in their countries.

But Mariah who lives in the city of Linkoping, Sweden, says that over the past few years, she has met more and more Swedes who are opting for a childfree lifestyle.

The 30-year-old says she has known that she never wanted to have children since she was a child herself.

"I was sterilised at the age of 25. It's a choice I have never regretted," she says. "Once I had made the decision, I felt stronger as a woman. I have a long-term partner and he is happy with my decision."

She says that in Sweden there is a lot of pressure from family and friends to have children. "It's the norm and Swedes really don't want to stand out in a crowd. But, in the past few years, I feel there have been more and more people questioning whether of not they having children is really for them.

Waste

"Some people simply have no maternal feelings - some are worried about how the world is going, some like to travel, some like to pursue their careers - we're not selfish people."

"Selfish and irresponsible," are words that 43-year-old Jane, who lives in London, is used to hearing.

I've been called irresponsible for not having children but there are many couples who have had children without thinking seriously about the impact such a decision will have
    Jane, 43
    In the UK, the most commonly cited statistic is that by 2010, one in four will be either childfree or childless.

"I made the choice early on not to have children. I don't dislike them - I simply decided that I could not devote 100% of my time to someone else," she says.

"I have also been called selfish but I think that people who have three children are encroaching on the planet's resources - I can't believe the amount of waste that children produce.

"The world's population is still growing - it's only people in the West who are perceived to be not having enough children. People will always have children and the world will continue," she says.

'Better deal'

Jane, who works in the media, says there is an increasing tension in the workplace because many employees without children feel that parents get a better deal when it comes to time off.

This is partly why Europe is now following the US with the establishment of active groups of the childfree, some of whom are demanding a better deal for their members.

Jonathan McCalmont is the founder of Kidding Aside (The British Childfree Association), which was first set up on the internet to lobby for equality for people without children.

He is fed up with the way the government is wooing parents with longer maternity pay, paternity leave, flexible hours and family tax breaks. He describes the latter as "simply a middle-class tax break masquerading as social policy."

He is angry at what he says is a redistribution of money from people without children to those with.

He contends that childfree people who have other responsibilities - such as looking after an elderly parent - should get the same benefits.

"We believe it is up to the individual to decide what constitutes a family," he says. "It's not up to the state."

2. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Back in the early seventies I was told that becoming a parent was an option, not an obligation. I was immediately captured by the idea - control over destiny, a right to decide whether or not to become a parent.

The concept was freeing.

I'm now almost beyond child-bearing age, very much looking forward to being free of that particular worry!

This is a question with impact on the level of the individual and on the society.

Would offspring of mine have had a net positive effect on the economy and on society in general? I like to assume so. But I think the decision not to have kids was the right one for me, just as the decision to raise families were the right ones for my siblings.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

1. The world is certainly overpopulated which is the root cause of environmental and resource depletion problems. There should be a limit on the number of children per family. I agree with the Chinese 1 child per family policy and would like to see it adopted world wide.
    2. No one who chooses not to have children should be labeled "selfish" or "immature".
    3. As the parent of a 5 year old, the amount of joy and happiness a child brings to your life is impossible to express to the "child free"

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

My deliberate choice to not have children was mostly based on my very violent upbringing. It has been shown that those who come from abusive childhoods have a greater chance of passing that trait down through the generations and I would never wish my childhood on my offspring. I methodicaly and deliberately chose to break the cycle by not passing my genes through the generations. I love children, babysit friend's children often, and thought I would simply mate with a person who already had children. Far from looking at my choice as selfish, I look upon it as a gift to my unborn offspring. The neighborhood kids love me, no I'm not a pervert, and my friends relish the time they have alone together knowing their little sweeties are being looked after by a loving and responsible person.

5. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

This is very interesting. Thank you for posting. I'm 27 and still not 100% certain whether or not kids are for me. I hope by 30 I'll have made up my mind.

6. Capt132

Capt132 New Member

Only if they don't give trouble and will be around when you are old and need them to return the "favor" of supporting you in your old age.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having raised kids for nearly half my years, I cannot imagine my life without them. But that's my life, not yours. I would certainly support someone's decision not to have children. As an aside, I've always wondered why it's more difficult to qualify for a driver's licence than it is to 'qualify' to have children.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The purpose of life is to reproduce. At 6.5 billion humans and climbing, we have done a more than excellent job of reproducing - with little thought to long-term sustainability or quality of life. We have overshot the carrying capacity of Earth - and are just beginning to recognize the consequences: social and economic conflicts, resource limits, wars, climate change, water and air contamination.

Those who choose not to reproduce or limit their reproduction to two or fewer should be lauded. These people show long-term social responsibility and concern for others. Living within your means and thinking and acting long-term draws from the parable of the ant and the grasshopper: think, plan ahead and reap or suffer the consequences.

Our current methods are "Tragedy of the Commons" (Hardin, 1968) where everyone derives benefits but no one has direct responsibility. The commons suffers and everyone suffers together. A few may have an advantage for a short time, but ultimately the commons and everyone suffers.

Some argue that there are many surpluses: open space, excess food, uninhabited land and water, skilled and unskilled people ready and willing to work, human creativity, etc. However, we fail to recognize biological and physical limits and we assume that humans are the ultimate and all other organisms, ecosystems and resources don't have value, except when put to use by humans. By spending natural capital we reduce carrying capacity and sustainability in all sectors. We continue to focus on resource extraction (i.e., fossil fuels) while overlooking climate appropriate architecture and renewable energy sources (wind, hydro, solar, conservation). Economics and culture focus on immediate gratification, not long-term investments.

We need to strive for long-term sustainable quality, make every child wanted, healthy and well educated. The current concept of "more is better" is doomed to natural limits and disappointment. Hardin's "Living on a Lifeboat" concept means that some countries (lifeboats) are full and overflowing while others have extra room and supplies. Migration is only successful short-term. No rational person suggests that the US welcome more immigrants until our "lifeboat" capsizes and overturns. At almost 300 million residents we are approaching our carrying capacity. We have ignored limits by substituting oil for knowledge. With peak oil on the horizon, we must now apply knowledge and strive for efficiency - recognizing we must limit our own fertility for our own, and our children's, well being.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 31 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]232915[/snapback]</div>
    i have struggled with that very question for a while now. i would like to think that by trying to better myself through things like education and hard work that i've risen above the oblivious-parent-completely-dependent-on-abusive-stepparent kind of situation. i would like to think i could do best by my children in any situation. i still question myself because it's a scary thought, becoming the one thing you most feared for all those years. whether it's genetics or life experiences that bring it on. my husband loves kids, as do i, and we would love to have two but no more. with him having a substantially more normal upbringing than me, i think we would be able to pull it off. but we're not ready to go ahead and do that just yet.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I sure didn't think so. Was happy without kids... then I had one. Without getting TOO mushy, I just have to say that I honestly didn't know what love was until I had my own kid. Yes, I thought I loved my wife, and of course I do in a sense - but there is NOTHING like the love I have for my kid. (and any excuse for a picture is a good excuse, right?)

[​IMG]

11. heliotropehead

:) She's beautiful!

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I worked in public schools, my favorite part of the day was giving the children back and going home alone. My wife and I actively chose to not have children. We have a cat and that's just fine.

And yet people still say:
    "You'll change your mind."
    "Just wait til you have one of your own."
    "What does your wife say about that?"
    and other things implying that they know better than I.

I have been called selfish for our decision to not have children. And if that's the case, than yes, I am selfish: equally as selfish as my great-uncle who died at the age of 98 after a full and complete life of absolute celibacy. He so selfishly denied the world of multiple children and greedily dedicated his life to Priesthood.

My wife is an only child and I know that her mother would like a grandchild. But is that reason enough to reproduce? Should we shoulder the burden of raising a child or two just for the pleasure of my in-laws? When my in-laws pass away, can I discard the children since their primary purpose is no longer needed?

My wife and I enjoy our solitary lives together. We enjoy sleeping in when we want. Going out when we want and staying out as late as we want. We enjoy too much of our two-person life to give it up. Call me selfish, but I'm childfree and happy.

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 31 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]233011[/snapback]</div>
    Case closed, I think.

14. heliotropehead

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 31 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]233034[/snapback]</div>

My husband and I feel the same... but at the same time I would love to walk a little person to school every morning. On my way to work I watch the dads hold the hands of their daughters and my heart breaks. I grew up without a father and know that my husband would be the father to our children that I always dreamed of. For the time being however, I enjoy spending my money on us and not having to worry if my children are safe... if their friends can be trusted, if I have enough money to afford a good school, etc. I have two cats that I adore and would love to add a weiner dog to our family one day, too. :)

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks guys... but I warn you - don't go egging me on! LOTS more where that came from. :)

Being a parent is by far the hardest job I've ever had. And I do it for about 14 hours/day, seven days/week - even on vacation! And while I'm totally serious that I originally had NO intention of having a child (for all the reasons mentioned in this thread), I honestly can say that I'd have missed out on much of what life can really mean. But that's me, and my situation. I'll preach about fossil-fuel use all day long, but I will NOT preach about having kids! For me it turned out to be the right decision. And one was plenty!

And for those of you who are sick of the "oh, you've GOT to have kids" crap... let me tell you that it doesn't stop after you have one kid! Might as well not have any unless you have at least two, according to most multi-kid families. It never ends. I too, get discouraged to hear others telling me what's best for my situation. We all need to make our own decisions, and I'm (now) really glad that the decision my wife handed down to me was the right one. :)

16. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

You know, to those who put "the world" first in their opinion, get this: The world WILL end regardless of whether or not you choose to have children. At SOME point, life is going to suck for everyone on this planet as we start down the path (it can be argued we were set on that path as soon as life began) of extinction.

It's like death. Inevitable.

It's like thinking we should conserve fossil fuels. Big deal, so we run out in 10 years versus 5.

Enjoy your lives, take the chance, have kids, before the option is gone forever, worse yet, in utter vain.

17. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

and the answer to that question to my wife and I is: DEFINATELY :D

18. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was a single parent. I had a child without really being prepared but in the years that we have had together it has been a wonderful experience.

My daughter is now 29 and she and her husband are not sure that they want kids. They may adopt as opposed to having one "of their own". Hate that term, biology aside, bonding with a child is what parenting is not biology.

Too many people have throw away kids. I think it would not be a bad thing for people to have a few more hoops to jump through before they can become parents.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 31 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]233112[/snapback]</div>
    Considering the stakes involved, I'd support more challenges to becoming a parent AND to becoming a licensed driver.

20. dsunman

dsunman New Member

It should be a personal choice IMHO, although in some very densely populated areas of the planet such as Shanghai, Hong Kong, Lagos, Rio or Caracas one would be predisposed to say STOP...!

Sustainability is a major factor.

I don't know how to take the ones who constantly blame themselves and thier kids for not being able to afford certain lifestyle or accomplish certain expectations in life because they have decided to have many kids. On many occasions same people will put down all the yuppies for their choice of not having kids. I also have huge admiration and recognition to those who have raised their children to the best of their abilities without to much bitching about it, as that was their personal choice for the hardest job known; raising children.

Perhaps one day mankind will be issuing licenses for children or it will be decided on a lottery based system.