1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are most people honest?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jun 17, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A recent feel good story here prompted me to ask whether most people are honest?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2160208/Grandfather-watched-1-000-blow-away-falling-stunned-strangers-return-penny.html

Apparantly this chap was in an area with 'issues' or an area 'known to the police' which makes the story even more amazing.

Good Samaritan gives up lucky pay day when he finds - and returns - $16,000 in cash | Mail Online

My experience indicates most people are honest, good people. I always informed people if they over paid me (giving a £20 instead of £10 not etc) and often got a big tip in return.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My experience has been that most are basically honest, good people that mean well. It is nice to see that this person gets the publicity for doing a good deed.

More time than not the few bad people get more than the fair share of publicity.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, in relative terms, but no, in absolute terms. no one is honest, if i can be honest about it.:D

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Honestly, I don't know.

Chuck. likes this.
  5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most people are honest most of the time.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many people are honest and many are dishonest.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suppose the level of honesty depends on the situation;

1, I remember taking a little old lady to the local supermarket. The fare came to £4.50 and as I helped her out of the taxi she said thank you, gave me a note and said to keep the change. When I opened the note up it was a £20. Obviously the old dear had assumed it was a £5. I ran after her and drew her attention to this and sure enough she had made a mistake and I gave her £15 from the £20. She was a regular and needed the money.

2, I had an arrogant person (using the term lightly; infact I'm struggling to describe him without profanity) who was nothing but trouble all the journey. "Arrogant this and arrogant that, blah blah blah" You know the type, quite wealthy, full of themselves and you'd not want to sit near them at a dinner party. Well, I dropped him off at his house and the fare came to £19.80. He pulled out a folded £20 note and flicked it through my window onto the back seat of the car and said keep the change with a smirk! (a 20p tip from a nice chap). I leant over to retreave said note as he walked away and when I unfolded the note it turned out to be two £20's stuck together :) I didn't inform him of this mistake, unless he meant to tip me £20.20, which I dout? (y)

TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It doesn't matter how I answer this. If the answer is no, I will say yes. If the answer is yes I will still say yes. The answer is yes either way.

Tom

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All people are dishonest at times, even those typically honest.

Nearly all of us tell white lies, such as complementing a woman that is rather plain.

White lies are one thing, but I've found most people often lie if they are uncomfortable telling the truth. Stuff like breaking a realationship or telling letting on like they are going to be hired when they are not.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my younger years I was honest to a fault but I eventually decided that some people don't deserve complete honesty, your case 2 being a good example.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    two partners were in business together and one day, one of them was working the cash register when a customer came in and purchased an item for $100. handing the owner a hundred doller bill he left the store. when the owner went to put the bill in the register, he noticed that there were two one hundred dollar bills stuck together. feeling a bit he guilt he thought to himself, 'should i tell my partner'?

12. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently, one of our banks came up with a ad that featured a chap who drops a couple of $20 notes as he climbs into his car. They tried the exercise with an old bomb, and a fancy sports car. The ad made the comment that regardless of the situation, most people were honest and collected the cash and handed it back to the chap.

They also did one based on a barista handing back the wrong change - again with two different scenarios. Again, most people were honest.

I think that most people are honest, but can certainly see where the edges can get blurred, as in Grump's second case.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You'll know from your job that you just can't judge a book by its cover. I just can't count the number of times I had stereotypes blasted out the water in my taxi job. I think it made me a better person as it is easy to pick up negatives or stereotypes from your own life 'bubble', but really they're a lot of rubbish. I could give many an example of this but I think if you treat people as you'd want to be treated yourself, you can't go wrong. OK, there'll be the odd nut job, but 99.9% of folk are fine.

And those that aren't, like my number 2 example, will usually reap the rewards of their actions :) One of my ex taxi colleagues had a lad give him the run around on a Saturday night and against his better nature he trusted him. When the fare was upto about £30 the lad decided to 'do a runner' when the car was sat at the lights. He opened the door and ran for it, straight into the other traffic lane and got hit by taxi. Oh the irony.

14. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that a "person" is inherantly honest, while "people" are not.

15. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank You for clueing me in...

There's where I was missing it Bra... I just know too many people...

massparanoia likes this.
  16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That reminds me of a Men in Black line
    Kay:

massparanoia likes this.