1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are my MPG up to par?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChiPri, Feb 20, 2006.

1. ChiPri

ChiPri New Member

I picked up my '06 package 8 on Jan. 2 and really love the car. I expected my MPG to be much lower than the EPA estimates, but I'm finding that they're even much lower than most people's on this site. I have not reset the fuel economy indicator since purchasing the car and my average MPG is currently at about 38.7!

Yes, I live in a cold climate (Chicago), but with the exception of the last few days, these past two months have been very mild. I keep the heat low, drive the car conservatively, utilize all the gliding tricks (etc.) I've learned about on this site... what gives? I know I'm still in the "break-in" period, but did most people start out this low?

Also, it seems next to impossible to even move the average up a tenth of a gallon at this point, but the car quickly drops a tenth of a gallon on nearly any short trip. I feel like if I went on enough short trips, the average MPG would eventually drop into the teens. I know short trips are not ideal, but should a tenth of my entire average click off nearly every time I start the car?

In short, did you have this same experience, or is there possibly something wrong with my car?

Thanks!

2. BertinNC

BertinNC New Member

The same exact with me. Thought I would have got more but average is 38.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fine, could be better, but it's fine. I'd bet that 90% of it is your trip length and driving technique. Check your tire pressures just to be sure, combine short trips to keep the ICE warm b/w trips.

Then wait patiently for summer, break in, summer fuel, and more experience with your car.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also, what kinda commute do you have? Really short ones will give you low numbers. If you run lots of short errands, expecially if they're not strung together, will give you similar results. Even good driving habits won't over come that.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Cold weather is probably the main culpret here, combined with short trips and winter fuel = 38-40 USmpg. For a test set up a drive of 30 miles each way and see what happens to the mpg readout. Seconday roads are best and a reasonable driving style, will get your mileage up.

7. ChiPri

ChiPri New Member

Had tires filled to 40/38 and my commute is about 30 min. in total. I'd be surprised if my driving techniques get too much better over time. I even maximize by lightly pressing my foot on the gas to get rid of all arrows whenever possible. I've really been careful to drive it well.

I really wish the computer would track my MPG for the life of the car, as well as for each tank in the same way the odometer tracks miles. I want to see what I am getting for each tank (and even some trip), but hate to hit the reset button. Seems like a big oversight by Toyota.

8. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I pickedmy 06 on Jan. 6th. First tank was 44.2, second was 41.2. Working on the 3rd tank now, but the temperature outside has not been out of the 20's, so I expect the mileage to be lower. One day it was about 60 outside and it seem like the instant mileage jumped to the 50's and 60's, so I can't wait until the weather breaks to see constant better numbers.

9. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I bought my Prius in December 04, and like you, I'm also in Chicagoland. I experienced around 41-42 mpg my first winter, and was disappointed. This winter, I was doing better (43-44), but my last tank has been around 39mpg due to this cold spell. I'd really watch how you are driving, like making sure you coast when you can, not applying brakes hard, and so forth. I would also check your tires frequently. What type of driving do you do? Is it rush hour on the Ryan? Sometimes, I think two different people can go into the same traffic and come out with two different mpg values. Some of us locals might be able to help you out.

Another thing I thought of, if the dealer had it on while playing with it, setting it up, etc, it could hurt the values. My first tank was something like 25 mpg, because she put in my home address and all this stuff before I got there, and then showed it to me while we sat there with the car running, so all of that hurt. I seem to remember that the '06s has a cumulative meter, and that you can reset it, so if you want, maybe reset it and see how you do. One tank of 25mpg could be a lot to overcome, and that might be what is hurting you.

Also, feel free to check out the Chicago group on here! We meet in person from time to time, and it's interesting to interact with others, ask questions, get shown things, see mods, etc.

Later,
    Matt

10. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

On top of everything already mentioned, you may also want to try fueling at a different station and/or different franchise.

I recently encountered one tank where I got much worse mileage without (noticeably) changing my driving habits.

Worth a try.

11. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd reset the display and keep a cumulative log on your own.. You'll get better feedback seeing how you do on each tank. I got my 06 about the same time you did; I'm averaging 46.74 after six tanks. the last two were a little over 50 each. I noticed a bump in mpg after @1,500 miles.

My advice is to reset at each fillup and go for 50 plus!

Like someone else said COAST as much as possible, etc.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I won't be suprised in the least if it changes. I'd bet that 95% of people alter their driving after getting a Prius.

There's much more to it than getting "no arrows"...it's knowing when to go into "no arrows" and when it's better to use gas and when it's better to coast to regen...until you really learn the car and really get a sense for anticipating what the car will do when and why will you really be able to optimize your technique to take advantage of the unique characteristics of driving a hybrid.

What have you done about following distances and anticipating/avoiding stops? Do you know when you're maximizing regen braking and when you've engaged friction brakes? When's the last time you checked that tire pressure...before the cold snap?

Just relax and enjoy the experience. Record your mileage for the practice and for the historical purposes, but don't worry about them...there are a lot of variables and you truely will have no way to know what you're doing or how well you're doing until you get into summer and have really 'become one' with your car.

If it's any consolation, look at my mileage record through the link at the bottom of my signature...it has every tank I've filled (except the last one) and you can see what my first winter's numbers were in a much more moderate part of the country. But then look at what happened after that too.

13. Frank Hudon

if you are going to live in Chicago for the rest of the car's life span, consider getting an umbilical cord job done on your car. A really warm start to the day will improve your milage as well.
    umbilcal cord job=block heater.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you will see VERY VERY slow progress if you do not reset your mileage on the MFD on every fillup. it is too bad that there is no way to toggle the MFD mileage display like you would on the odometer to see tank mileage and LT mileage and other user setting, but that is the way it is. keeping the MFD at the LT mileage will soon render the information useless imho.

i track tank and LT mileage...but after 22,000 miles. my LT average is 52 mpg. for me to increase my LT average by a single 10th of a mpg. i would have to average nearly 57 mpg for 500 miles. good luck!!

as a new owner, its critical (not to mention exhilarating!!) to see that extra mpg from one tank to another. no resetting that mpg on every tank is just robbing you of important feedback.

15. Frank Hudon

just gassed the wife's car tonight. Cheap gas at our normal station. Yes cold temps, short multiple trips, much window scraping = 34.1 US mpg.

16. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    People mention temperature all the time affecting miles per gallon. But the best graphical representation of that is a plot of time vs MPG with temperature plotted along with MPG. Take a look at this and you will be a believer too:

TonyPSchaefer's data (scroll down to see graph)
    (don't forget to scroll left to right too)

It made a believer out of me.

Cheers

17. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I was wondering what the heck you meant. Strange way of calling it, I haven't heard it before.

18. Frank Hudon

lots do a double take on that one :)

19. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are getting 38 MPG now in the cold weather, you can probably expect to get in the upper 40's in the summer. I got my prius last April. During the warm months, I was getting around 52 MPG on my commute. In the winter, I've been getting around 43 MPG. On the few periods when its been consistently under 25 degrees, which haven't been too often this winter, I've gotten around 40 MPG.

20. notsure

notsure New Member

124 days without rain.........

I am averaging 51 mpg per tank, almost all freeway driving. I find the car does its best when you get up to speed and maintain with the lightest pressure on the gas. So far my baby has never had a drop of rain on it.

We are still "cold" in the am about 35-40, 60 on the way home. Going to hit 80 this weekend. DRY DRY DRY we are in for a bad summer