1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are my SOC's on right?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by The Phoenix, Mar 14, 2016.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm sorry if this got posted twice, I tried to posted it before and I don't know what happened, maybe I didn't post it correctly. ANYWAYS, I recently set my scan gauge to monitor my state of charge, and I have gotten readings between 50 and 70%. From other threads I've read this sounds like this is normal. I would just like to know if this is a good indication of good battery health? Also is there any other ways to check battery health, except for tech stream, or from a dealer check?

2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Steve that was an awesome response, thank you. I would like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person, but I'm also a bit anti hard work if I can avoid it, that being said, the little trick you described; can that be done with just the scan gauge or do you need tech stream?

3. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That process sounds good, thank you I will try it soon. About 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2008, with 188,000 mi. I was happy with the overall condition of the car but a bit concerned about the battery I've put on about 1,500 miles and have gotten 33,42,and 44 mpg on the last 3 fill ups. I will try the test soon to get some more data

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One thing that I don’t like about your test is that you leave the AC on. Power consumption of AC compressor (with fixed airflow) is related to temperature. So if outside temperature is 0c/32F or colder AC compressor won’t take any power at all. And then hotter it gets more power it takes. In 0c/32F or colder test will get you many times better results than in let’s say 38c/100F. So without constant test temperature and calculating the factor for that temperature test isn’t very useful.

I would turn the AC off, blower direction to vents (so that AC is really off), temp to MIN, and fan to MAX. Of course you still have some things that make the test inaccurate. And you have to use some other number than 9.7%.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    AC can only cool the evaporator core to 0c or 32F (in reality couple of degrees warmer) so that it’s not freezing. So if temperature isn’t warm enough then compressor can’t run at full power because it would freeze the evaporator. If I do it now its 0c or 32F outside and AC being on or off won’t change anything.

I thought your test was without techstream? I’ll do the test at some point but not with techstream since I don’t want to ruin my fuel consumption figures on scangauge.