1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are people ok with a Prius that has been hit then fixed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusAmonett, Dec 11, 2009.

1. PriusAmonett

PriusAmonett New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2008 Prius Package #3 Options:
    JBL Audio System with 6-Disc Changer and 9 speakers, Bluetooth Hands Free Link for cell phones, Vehicle Stability Control which is great for winter, Back-up Camera, smart key system with push button start, anti-theft system, auto-dimming rear view mirror with homelink for garage doors, cruise control, 15" alloy wheels with trim ring, traction control and anti-lock brakes!

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius Package #3 that has been damaged. It has been repaired by a professional body shop and is currently at a dealership.

It is a single owner vehicle that has been well maintained I have a carfax report available. Let me tell you about the damages so you can decide if you would be interested

The inside of the vehicle looks brand new and owner was a non-smoker.

The previous owner got rear-ended at a low speed which caused the paint on the bumper to crack, it isn't bad. The day after she got bumped she got into another accident that damaged the front and front-right side of the car. This caused the airbag to be deployed. A premium body shop repaired the front and front right of the vehicle and you can not notice the accident even happened. They also installed a new airbag in the car. The 2008 Prius comes with a total of six airbags but since it was not a bad accident not all of them deployed.

This happened in the rear on 10/11/2009 then the front damage was on 10/12/2009. This vehicle has a clean title. No frame or structural damage.

Do you think I can sell it for $14,800?

2. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've seen lots of posts on this general subject, in the last few months. The general consensus is that a damaged Prius is significantly less desirable than one that is still perfect.

Price, however, seems to depend on location...basically it boils down to availability. In SoCal, for example, where Priuses are almost literally a dime a dozen, it would need to be heavily discounted to compete with the other cars that hadn't been in an accident.

In Indiana, however, it may be one of only 3 Priuses on the market, and therefore much more desirable. I live in rural Texas, and that's the situation here...they're much less common, and therefore they are more valuable.

I would talk to someone local (or look it up on one of the online sites, like autotrader.com) and get comparative prices for your car, in your area.

Hope this helps!

Chuck

3. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I rebuilt a front damage 2005 ,no air bags deployed. 46k .I pd.$8,100 and added $4000 inparts paint labor Then found that trying to start it too many times Had to buy a used hv batt. $1050 Still have a reduild title, Only worth c$9,500 Learned a lot exspensively. Only way to get clear titlt is if Ins Co Does not total it. Also pd state trooper $250 t0 come out and verify road worthyStill love it and would not sell if unable to replace

1 person likes this.
  4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Mine is an '05 base model now with 135,000 mi on it. It's been 'hit' three ( count-em ) times, repaired each time and it runs like a champ and it's quiet as the day I drove it off the lot.

1. deer T-Boned me and snapped off the mirror and dented the dr door
    2. lady hit me on dr-side rear door right on the battery pack
    3. I drove over a deer carcass at night at 60 mpg and it tore up the underside, dented the fuel tank, bent the fuel lines and bent the rear axel.
    All fixed, All better. Tracks like a champ and still solid with no rattles or weird noises. 47.5 mpg now, same as before.

I plan to drive this another 135,000 miles over the next 4 years.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I suppose a Prius is a regular car in the sense that if the frame needs straightening, the result might not be as good as new. If ti gets repainted and sits in an oven, there may be issues concerning temperature for the HV battery. Other than that, no thoughts.

6. Bloggings

Bloggings New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would part it out... or

sell it 'As Is' no warranties expressed or implied. You don't know the history of the vehicle it's buyer beware, let 'em get a Carfax and figure it out.

or.... just sell the interior and send the exterior to the Smithsonian for display.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2006 Prius, severe front and rear damage (4x4 in front of me stopped. I stopped. Car in back of me didn't, pushed me into 4x4). Over $10K worth of of repairs, you can't even tell anything happened.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're kind of asking two different questions.

Are people okay with a Prius that has been hit? I think people that own a Prius that happens to be in an accident can have it repaired and then judge for themselves how happy or unhappy they are with the results. Can bodyshops and repair facilities restore damaged cars to viable levels of reliability and structural integrity after a wreck? My opinion is yes. But as with any accident that causes impact and damage unseen problems can arise in the future that could be related to either the accident or the repair process.

Which is why for most "Buyers" a vehicle with a clean history is far preferable to one that shows it's been in an accident. Which leads to your secondary question...

Can you sell it for $14,800? I agree with the advice to look up used Prius in the area. If you are selling used against used Prius that are demonstrably accident free, then you will have to offer a significant discount. 2 evidently reported accidents in 2 day's is a hard sell, regardless of how minor they might of been. Given the technology attached to The Prius, I think people are more hesitant to buy a used with a history of damage than perhaps a standard ICE automobile. But your best bet is to establish local value of similar Prius undamaged and discount accordingly. You'll find that sweet spot between discount and luring buyers willing to take the real risk of buying a used Prius that has been damaged and repaired.