Are people really getting 40+ MPG in Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by timmyjane, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Another

Another Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Curious. Did you get the used battery from a junker or someone who reconditions batteries? If you drive the car a lot you may have it for some time to come as the car conditions it.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased the reconditioned HV battery from a "local" reconditioner called Alex (a Ukrainian fellow from Brooklyn who advertises on CL). Alex came to me and did the install for a flat $800. Still working nicely almost 60k miles later (and 28 months).

#382 ydpplqbd, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  3. m_blacktree

m_blacktree New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So over 50 mpg is pretty respectable then? I'm not being sarcastic. I've only had the car a month, started tracking fuel economy a couple weeks ago. So far, I've refilled twice (14.3 gallons total) and driven a total of 822 miles. So that's about 57 mpg.

Seems like each car has a certain trick that works best for fuel economy. For example, my previous daily driver was a Jetta TDI. Diesel engines use very little fuel at idle, so I tried to coast with the engine idling as much as possible. The car rewarded me with good FE. For the Prius, it seems that regen braking is the ticket. So when coming to a stop, I get off the gas and start coasting as soon as possible.

Another likes this.
  4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, 50 mpg is respectable. Since Florida is warm all year, you’ll probably stay in that neighborhood if you’re a gentle driver. The efficiency drops in the winter where it’s cold.

5. m_blacktree

m_blacktree New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here in Florida, efficiency drops during the summer because you're running the A/C all the time.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure about your particular area of Florida but the roads you routinely drive on have a lot to do with it as well. Long runs of 45-55 mph on flat roads are perfect for this car. In 2008 I rented Prii on my business trips to Pompano Beach and computed the mpg at 63 mph on multiple trips. That was based on actual gallons used, not the optimistic MFD. I achieved similar mpg when driving the panhandle around Tyndall AFB.

We live with the a/c on all the time here in the desert as we're even warmer than Las Vegas. We moved here in the fall of 2019 from Rancho Cucamonga in southern California. The roads are flat with very long stretches between signals and most of them are coordinated to keep traffic flow moving steadily at 40-55 mph. After averaging 42.9 in California, our Prius has averaged 45.8 mpg on the roads out here.

Even my wife's 2009 AWD Acura MDX averages about 21 on the road here.