Are people really getting 40+ MPG in Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by timmyjane, Apr 12, 2017.

1. K4S2

K4S2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From K4S2:
    To the question of mpg....and the one on using Cruise. I got my 2009 Prius on Christmas Eve, 2008. :) I basically get 39.8, varying a tad from time to time -improving if all Cruise driving, like on Hiway or Freeway.... or a good stretch on a main street. I think it also seems to improve if I coast lots. But if my husband drives a good stretch with Cruise....it goes up to 40 to 44. After 4-5 days back with "me alone at the wheel" it drops back to around 39, again. I THINK I drive as he does in his 2018 Prius Gen 4.....but the proof is in the pudding....and he's just better at it. He says it makes him dizzy when I drive my '09....as when not on Cruise, I keep taking my foot off the accelerator to Coast, even for short distances. Um...methinks (& Hethinks) this helps little. ALSO: I do a faster accel to my desired speed....& he says that likely hurts. On either my '09 or his '18 (and previously on his '05, which he traded for his '18), he takes his time "up to speed." So.....give "Slow takeoff" and "Cruise whenever possible" strategies a try...& maybe add "Coast when can". We even use Cruise in residential zones (like a steady 35 mph) & that helps me slowly gain....or at least maintain. :)

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't do this slow take-off thing, but I'm not mashing the pedal to the floor either and I get good MPG. If I had to quantify it I accelerate on average at 17 - 20 instantaneous MPG. If you want to get an idea of what to aim for, use the cruise control to accelerate from 40 MPH to 60 MPH and watch the instantaneous MPG while you're doing it. BUT, do not get distracted, though.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Another

Another Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The reason cruise control typically results in higher mpg is that humans can’t resist the temptation to touch the accelerator, while the cruise only does so when needed. Have you ever noticed how people in the next lane invariably speed up as you approach them at a constant speed? It’s like they’re in a race or something.
    There is a sweet spot in the off the line acceleration, too slow on a hybrid is nearly as bad as flooring it. Some people just never master it.
    Low to Mid 40’s mpg is low. 39 is atrocious. Maybe check you plugs, have they ever been changed?

4. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took this picture in my 2005 Toyota Prius. Driving 58 mph for 98 miles. 55.8mpg 20211201_101231.jpg

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I usually get driving 70+mph or more though. Same trip. 44.3mpg 20211201_082401.jpg