1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are prime drivers a different breed or am I abnormal all by myself?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by scm2000, Aug 24, 2017.

1. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I saw a Car ad tonight... complete with cars peeling off smoking tires, fast hard cornering, like they are race cars and extolling the thrills of driving their brand of car...

Uh... I am certain I can drive my prime a week on the gas it takes for one car to smoke its tires...

Ok they showed a massive SUV pulling a trailer full of logs to show how powerful it is.. and some people are lumberjacks, but really people drive those for commuting right?

Gas is too cheap.

But am I alone in this motivation 1. to save money. 2 help the planet? and I'm not sure about the order there saving money by saving gas goes hand in hand with lower emissions and saving resources.

ruby, Nic Steussy, Rmay635703 and 7 others like this.
  2. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You're not alone. I'm right there with you! Great post...

Gaëtan Lafrance likes this.
  3. kevins007

kevins007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I decided to purchase my Prime to save money and to embrace an alternative to conventional transportation methods.
    In addition, I tend to think that most people in society behave similar to sheep and just follow the masses which is why advertising works so well.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In 1971 I started paying for my own gasoline and I tracked my fuel costs closely. My 1966 VW MicroBus got 28 MPG except when it needed an oil change, clean and gap spark plugs (leaded gas), or valve backlash adjustment.

I tuned it with early radial tires, centrifugal advance distributor, and headers. The huge internal volume supported a single bed with space below for luggage, spare parts, a tool box, and large flattened cardboard box. Never fast, it was fast enough except around 4-5,000 ft but that is another story.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    bps and kevins007 like this.
  5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to haul loads of logs, clime mountains off road, and drop a tool box in the bed of a truck to see if it cuts the floor. Must be advertisers playing to the macho man within. How long does that false high last? I'm much happier knowing I am banking miles and avoiding gas taxes, etc.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're not alone, but you do represent a very small minority of the country. i would never buy a new car to save money, but i disagree on environmental concerns.

most of the population could care less about either, and even the majority who believe in climate change refuse to pitch in, unless government forces their hand.

even in cali, where most primes are sold, take away the HOV sticker, and what would sales be?

frodoz737 likes this.
  7. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    climate change aside. it is better for the environment to use less gas.
    Its more efficient to use power generated centrally in a well regulated power station than in millions of small engines not in tune.
    It can reduce local smog in cities to have near zero tailpipe emissions
    Less gas vapor makes it into a the atmosphere with the primes gas tank
    less gas is spilled on the ground if you fuel up less

plus probably more

Nic Steussy likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. just, almost nobody cares. but you are not alone, hang in there.;)

9. FinsPrime

FinsPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree too. I had a Gen 3 Prius before this and that was great but then in NJ as of Nov. 1st there was a $.23 gas tax per gallon. I want to keep that money in my pocket plus I am helping the environment for my kids. Happy to say my son just sold his Mustang for a more economical Corolla. ;)

10. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with you all. However, my 18 yr old son calls my enthusiasm about driving zero/low emission cars a hypocrisy because production of a new car has larger carbon foot print than just driving an old ICE car to its full life. His view may have a merit (I also read such opinion in an UK article in a PC thread elsewhere). Despite that, "I" still feel better driving Leaf and PP. It keeps me off Prozac, which shoud count for something.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i drive my cars till they have practically no trade in value. i drove my 07 prius 10 years 196k miles
    I intend to dive this one into the ground.

mercat68 likes this.
  12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am fortunate that my daily driver is my Prius, and that I also own an F250 super duty pickup and Corvette. I use the pickup to haul items from the Lowes, or help out on my property from time to time. The vette is my fair weather vehicle that spends more time in the garage than on the road, and just satisfies my occasional need for speed.

I'm sure there are people who look at me with disdain while driving the gas-suckers from my fleet, but I'm also sure there are others who feel contempt towards me the rest of the time I'm in the sipper. I don't lose sleep over either.

If I had to choose only one vehicle though, it would be my Prius. :)

Mark57, mercat68 and FlossEmOften like this.
  13. Just.Drive.It.

Just.Drive.It. New Member

Here, There, Everywhere. Driving my Prius!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't believe that Prime drivers are a different breed. I don't buy into all that hype. It's a nice vehicle, but at the end of the day it's just a car. Just drive it (and leave your over-inflated ego at home).

I don't live in California (too many damn crazy people) but I read an article recently that said air pollution in CA is worse now than it was 10 yrs ago. All the environmental regulations, taxes, and 2 million Prii on the road have done little to clear the air.

USA today, 4/19/17 story says California leads the list with six of the top 10 most polluted cities in all of the U.S. Horrendous traffic, increasing crime, homelessness out of control, ridiculous high housing costs and taxes, terrible pollution. I wouldn't live in California if it was free!

Los Angeles and Bakersfield top list of worst air pollution in the nation
    Los Angeles Times › local › lanow › la-...
    Apr 20, 2016 - Los Angeles and Bakersfield top list of worst air pollution in the nation. Los Angeles air pollution ... California cities with improving air quality were El Centro, ...Local businesses have spent $40 billion since 1992 when the ...

All those green environmentalists must be terribly embarrassed. The state legislature sure has dropped the ball. And pulled the wool over the eyes of the residents.

#13 Just.Drive.It., Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  14. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Can you cite that article? Because the one you do cite pretty much says the opposite.

bisco likes this.
  15. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So do you own and or drive a Prime?
    Do you just drive it? What MPG do you get? Miles per KWH?

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In our society, most people need or choose to own a (category) car or light truck. Most people buy what they can afford. Most people buy what their ego likes. Most car owners think they are special. So whether you drive an EV, hybrid, gasser, diesel, coupe, sedan, convertible, truck, SUV or Van, others are not the same "kind of special" unless they drive what you do or approve of.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where does the 'over inflated ego' thought process come from?

Nic Steussy and jaqueh like this.
  18. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So you agree that Prime drivers are a different breed. And you seem to disapprove of disapproving marketing of cars that may get 16 mpg on level ground, selling them on the basis that it is thrilling to do that.

bisco likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

We first saw this in 2006 with the CNW Marketing article "Dust-to-Dust" that tried to claim a Hummer was more energy efficient that a Prius:
    There are several approaches with strengths and weaknesses:
    1. "I have to pay for the power to drive my car with my money, nothing from the builder nor salvage yard." - In effect you are pointing out that the cost per mile in today's money is what you have to pay, not someone else who built and sold the car or the scrap yard it will eventually go to. Those moneys are missing for both of you when paying the bill at the pump.
    2. "Google scholar reports and peer reviewed studies have shown roughly three times of all energy occurs using a car compared to construction and salvage." - Those who have studied life-cycle costs have found operational energy usage is very much greater than construction even for EV and hybrids. Ask him for the source because it will often trace to doggy sources ('paging Clarkson'.)
    3. "Son, some people like to burn rubber, some like sheet metal art, some like to live in music studio on wheels. I happen to like low operating costs as much as others like their toys." - In effect, it is your hobby and keeps you happy. You don't really care what happened outside of your control as long as you get to enjoy your fun.
    4. "My plug-in hybrid and EV is the ultimate flex fuel." - It is powered by combinations of sun light, wind turbines, hydroelectric power, nuclear power, and fossil fuel power electric power plants. It means I'm not tied to just one source.
    5. "Ok, I'll introduce myself in your company as your father the hypocrite who raised you?" - Visit the sins of the father on the son.
    In reality, let your son deal with his problems but don't be shy to point out what it costs to drive 100 miles (160 km). Ask him how much his ride costs over the same distance. Then move on to something else.

Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    mercat68, jaqueh and heiwa like this.
  20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What I'm saying is everyone thinks they are "special" (or a different breed) and everyone drives what they drive for their reason/s. What I disapprove of is judgmental holier-than-thou attitudes...as it applies to topic.

FlossEmOften, Mark57 and bwilson4web like this.