1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Prius key codes unique?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rightonbro, Dec 10, 2006.

1. rightonbro

rightonbro Junior Member

Can somebody with another Prius unlock another Prius using the smart key system? I went to the store last Saturday night and when I went back out to the parking lot, there was some lady inside my car trying to start it. I asked, "Excuse me, what are you doing in my car?" Sure enough, there was another black Prius a couple rows away and she had mistaken mine for hers.

More likely, I left the door unlocked, but all the same - is it possible for the keycodes to be the same?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like you missed an ideal opportunity to find the answer. To bad you didn't lock your car and walk away bit then let her try to unlock it; then tried the same thing on her car with your smart key.

3. techman01

techman01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Dec 10 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]360085[/snapback]</div>

Is she wasn't able to start it, then no it can't. Part of the SKS system is starting the vehicle as well.

4. Stairman

Stairman New Member

I doubt they are unique, but there are certainly more different codes than a mechanical key would allow. I remember when I had a 64 Chevy getting into my car and starting it, then realizing it was the wrong car because this one had an automatic and mine had a stick. Evidently Chevy was notorious for having a small number of key settings.

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Techman is correct....if she couldn't start it, the codes do not match.

;) Now, I suppose out of 100,000+ Pri on the highway, there COULD be matching codes. But it's like a needle in a haystack. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. The odds of two alike parked near each other, same color, at the same time is like winning the mega-lottery.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Dec 10 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]360199[/snapback]</div>
    I agree but the OP didn't say if she could start it or not or even if she had, only that she was "trying to". I would hope each car has a unique code but that would depend on how many bits are available to identify an individual vehicle, and we have no idea how many that is. I would think it provides many more possible combinations than a mechanical key would in any case.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's rolling code, not fixed code. so the chances of that happening are infinitesimally small.